MMA/BJJ Strength: My Program Idea vs Cosgrove's?

Gary Peters

Purple Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I stumbled upon the Cosgrove program and noticed he used a full body workout with 5-10-15 rep scheme. At the end of his article he provides options on how to plan out a 2 or 3 day week however I'm looking for maximal strength and feel I would only be maintaining not really gaining strength with a 5-10-15 rep scheme so I made a few modifications and split it up as a Deadlift, Upper Body, Squat/Lower Body system using a lower rep scheme. I kept an explosive movement for each workout and tried to focus on the lifts that would continue to propel my MMA/BJJ training further ahead. I've been using the 2 day split in the FAQ for about a year but I feel like ive plateaued within the last couple weeks so im throwing ideas out there. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Exercise Selection:

Monday
Power Clean, Dead Lift, Rows

Thursday
Clap Pushup or Medicine Ball Pass/Slam, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Chins

Saturday
Box Jump, Squat or Front Squat, GHR, Lunge or Step Up

3 Week Rotation:

Week 1
Monday: Heavy 4x1-3 Reps
Thursday: Light 3x10-12 Reps
Saturday: Medium 5x4-6 Reps

Week 2
Monday: Light 3x10-12 Reps
Thursday: Medium 5x4-6 Reps
Saturday: Heavy 4x1-3 Reps

Week 3
Monday: Medium 5x4-6 Reps
Thursday: Heavy 4x1-3 Reps
Saturday: Light 3x10-12 Reps

Cosgrove is an MMA expert. Do his routine.

Is the Cosgrove routine online? I'd be interested in seeing it.

T-Nation is mostly shit now. Cosgrove isn't an MMA trainer or fighter. The only reason he's mentioning MMA is b/c it's hot right now. Fuck him. Read the stickies and worship at the altar of Saint Wilhelm.

There is no magic number of reps or sets that you should be doing. As long as you are hitting everything with intensity and have good excercise selection and change pace every once in a while you should be ok.

T-Nation is mostly shit now. Cosgrove isn't an MMA trainer or fighter. The only reason he's mentioning MMA is b/c it's hot right now. Fuck him. Read the stickies and worship at the altar of Saint Wilhelm.

I know this but I like to provide myself with options. You dont agree with different rep scheme helping with getting past plateaus?

p.s. What turns me off about Cosgrove though is he claims that running/jogging is COMPLETELY useless for a fighter. I just think that's ridiculous. I'm not saying running is the most important aspect of fight training AT ALL, and I don't think anyone else is either, but calling it useless is inane.

I know this but I like to provide myself with options. You dont agree with different rep scheme helping with getting past plateaus?

Why is lifting for MMA different than lifting for general strength?

p.s. What turns me off about Cosgrove though is he claims that running/jogging is COMPLETELY useless for a fighter. I just think that's ridiculous. I'm not saying running is the most important aspect of fight training AT ALL, and I don't think anyone else is either, but calling it useless is inane.

I think that's just one of those things where in an effort to stand out from the other billion trainers with books, blogs, websites, etc they make a sweeping generalization to get your attention, and then only when questioned will they hedge and elaborate, so that it isn't extreme at all. I've really started to appreciate the more scholastically minded trainers/nutritionists just because they tend to do that less.

Then what do you prescribe for someone who trains 4 days a week with mma and has plateaued with a 2 day full body program?

Then what do you prescribe for someone who trains 4 days a week with mma and has plateaued with a 2 day full body program?

Follow T-Nation's MMA advice.

Because usually strength is understood as producing force against a load, but when MMA is involved it has more to do with tapout shirts and other trendy shit.

Because usually strength is understood as producing force against a load, but when MMA is involved it has more to do with tapout shirts and other trendy shit.

Another helpful post.

I'm not training for just strength. I have other things to consider such as explosiveness, endurance, etc. Step on the mat you'll see why you need to train differently than just lifting heavy every workout. You cant max deadlift, squat, etc. every week and expect to be able to roll.

What are you currently doing for strength training? How long? What is the rep scheme? What sort of conditioning work and skill training are you doing? How much do you eat? How much can you eat? What are you eating? Are you sleeping 8 hours or more?

All of these things could be contributing to a plateau

You can't max squat, DL every week and expect to get any stronger either. Read the FAQ.

Another helpful post.

I'm not training for just strength. I have other things to consider such as explosiveness, endurance, etc. Step on the mat you'll see why you need to train differently than just lifting heavy every workout. You cant max deadlift, squat, etc. every week and expect to be able to roll.

I never said you should max out every week. The only people who do that are complete noobs.

Secondly, you don't know what you are talking about. The principles of strength training don't change because you like to punch people in the mouth. You have to produce enough stress on your body to cause adaption - that is how you get stronger. It does not matter if you are playing football, basketball or training for a fight. This requires a proper periodization program.

Whoohoo there we go. I guess you need to get people heated before they provide any info. Thanks.

Back