MMA Behind the scenes

Locooo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like all these beshind the scenes cool stories. I heard quite a few, red some books, and a lot from sherdog as well. I run into some forum with unheard for me new behind the scenes stories. I don't know if they are true or not, so take this with a grain of salt and I don't mean to disrespect no fighter.
Here are a few..enjoy and post yours:

In 1996 when Paul Varelans did a worked shoot fight in ECW against Taz? It turns out Varleans was, perhaps surprisingly not, the fifth choice.

Choice one was Royce Gracie. Paul Heyman was informed the chances of Gracie agreeing to work a fight was never happening, regardless of the cash figure.

Ken Shamrock was choice two, and while he was willing to do the match, he would only do it if he was going to be guaranteed to win.

Tank Abbott agreed to do it, then changed his mind saying if he was taking the worked fight, he'd job only if he could "break his fucking jaw" first.

Kimo was willing to do it, but wanted more money than Paul Heyman was willing to offer.

Finally, Varelans looking for a payday was approached and agreed to do so. When he got to the arena, he had a change about wanting to lose, only agreeing to do so after Missy Hyatt offered to blow him.

Matt Hughes and Jens Pulver were nearly inseperable.. Until Hughes fucked his wife at a hotel in Davenport. Following it, Jens threatened to kill Hughes if the two remained in the same camp and city. Knowing the tension it was causing in the camp, and Matt's previous reputation for working too hard with his teammates, and other outside issues (racism allegations), Pat Militech asked him to leave.

- Reportedly, the day he died, Evan Tanner texted a verbal agreement to Joe Silva accepting a fight Jeremy Horn at an Ultimate Fight Night.

- Rulon Gardner was supposed to fight Fedor at Pride 33 in Las Vegas, however Gardner wanted too much money. Ironically, Gardner went on to weigh 476 pounds and on Season 11 of The Biggest Loser.

- It's rumored Randy Couture reportedly left the UFC in 2007 because he caught Kim blowing Lorenzo Fertita. Kim told Randy she was "forced to".

- Phil Baroni and Burkman got into a fight in a Huntington Beach, CA. After a night of drinking, with Tito Ortiz serving as host, Burkman reportedly made a pass at Baroni's girlfriend, and grabbed her ass. Baroni took offense, walked over to Burkman and sucker punched him, knocking him to the ground. Burkman got up, the two grappled and exchanged punches, with Burkman getting the worst of the exchange. Burkman's brother, seeing Josh get thrashed, jumped in to save his brother. Ortiz reportedly jumped on him and choked him out.

- Josh Burkman was trying to pick a fight with Jeremy Horn in a bar. Horn was with his girlfriend and was declining to fight Burkman. To instigate it even further, Burkman dumped a beer on Horn's girlfriend. A few months later, Horn and Burkman agreed to a fight. Horn choked Burkman out then spat on him after the fight.

Bas, Don Frye and Heath Herring kicked the shit out of five members of the Yakult Swallows baseball team. The three were waiting to eat at a Japanese restaurant a few days after a Pride event. The Swallows players came into the same line and felt they deserved preferential treatment because of their name recognition in baseball. The sides argued, before Frye told them all to shut the fuck up. This pissed one of the Swallows players off, and the fight began. It lasted all of about 35-40 seconds, with Herring dropping two and Frye threw a third against a brick wall. The other two decided they had enough and it wasn't worth fighting over.

- It's rumored Randy Couture reportedly left the UFC in 2007 because he caught Kim blowing Lorenzo Fertita. Kim told Randy she was "forced to".

Severely doubt that

- Baroni also nearly got into fights with BJ Penn and Chris Leben on the same night in Las Vegas.

Following UFC 56, the three were at a bar (not together) in Caesars Palace.

Baroni reportedly approached Leben, called him a pussy and challenged him to a fight. Leben rejected the fight, saying Baroni would "probably kill him".

At that point, the witness indicated that Loretta Hunt jumped up from a nearby seat and asked the professional fighter what he just said to Leben. This pissed Baroni and said

- In lead up to Elite XC's final event, Ken Shamrock originally agreed to take a dive for Kimbo Slice. Knowing his legacy was quickly going down the toilet by the day, and knowing his money fights may not come again, Shamrock raised his financial demands and asked for 300,000 for the fight. Gary Shaw originally relented and was willing to make it, then realized the financial ramifications and refused. Shamrock held tight in his demands, and gave a deadline of the Friday before the fight was to take place. When Shaw made the final refusal, Shamrock bladed to the point where the Florida State Athletic Commission wouldn't clear him medically.

That's pretty fucking sweet. I really hate Burkman.

- Phil Baroni and Burkman got into a fight in a Huntington Beach, CA. After a night of drinking, with Tito Ortiz serving as host, Burkman reportedly made a pass at Baroni's girlfriend, and grabbed her ass. Baroni took offense, walked over to Burkman and sucker punched him, knocking him to the ground. Burkman got up, the two grappled and exchanged punches, with Burkman getting the worst of the exchange. Burkman's brother, seeing Josh get thrashed, jumped in to save his brother. Ortiz reportedly jumped on him and choked him out.

Interesting if true. Sources are always nice.

Actually all these stories comes from diff forums, that's why i warned it to take it with a grain of sault.
Of course there are well known checked stories, but these came as new to me.

MrW5mUX.gif

Bump !
This thread is the shit
Googling for old school behind the scenes mma stories, i came to my own thread
Gold
<GinJuice>

Back