mma bag gloves vs boxing bag gloves ??

cl63

White Belt
Reaction score
can someone please tell me the difference between the two ?
im going to be training on my own, in my garage. i have my Fairtex muay thai bag set up, now im looking for a good pair of gloves to use.
i want the gloves that will provide the best support and protection for my wrists and kunckles.

would appreciate it if you guys can provide me with some suggestions on which gloves i should look into (link also)
thanks !!

Haven't used MMA style bag gloves myself, but the general rule I've gathered is don't. Get boxing bag gloves.

Boxing bag gloves (whether you use traditional/mexican ones or the "super" variety) will provide the support/protection you will need.

Windy Super Bag Gloves-Combatsports.com Windy Super Bag Gloves
Hook & Loop Bag Gloves by Windy-Combatsports.com Windy traditional bag gloves

These are examples of the different types. Browse that site for other examples. Also check out mmawarehouse.com, ringside.com, there are lots of places to check.

Super bag gloves are bigger and built more like sparring gloves, but with a denser padding designed for hitting a heavy bag.
The traditional style are smaller, with the padding only where it's necessary (basically over the knuckles). The thumb is either open/exposed or just a leather sleeve with no padding.

You'll get people preferring one over the other for a variety of reasons (super bag gloves will protect your hand better, are better for people with a history of wrist problems, etc. Traditional bag gloves are better for technique, etc.). It's all personal preference.

I just bought a pair of Rival RB3's the other day
RIVAL MEXICAN BAG GLOVES
RB3 Mexican Bag Gloves - Bag gloves - Rival Boxing Gear Inc.

Just waiting for them to arrive.

Also, make sure you get some handwraps. 180 inch Mexican style (stretchy) is the most common style.

Also, since for some reason my ability to edit seems dependant on the sub-forum thanks to the dubs,

titlemma.com as another site

MMA bag gloves don't really make a whole lot of sense... I don't really know who actually uses them - MMA fighters don't.

Back