MMA Awards - Why they don't reward the Best fighters

Unbreakabull

Brown Belt
Reaction score
KOTY, FOTY and SOTY are pretty much, besides the fighter of the year, the only awards that Fighters are looking to win. I think it's a shame they only have a few categories to recognize what may not be the best overall performances but flashes of excitement -

For instance, there is no "Best overall BJJ" or "Best overall display of wrestling, Striking..." whatever..., just one shot off highlight reels, and that's fine, but what about the one striker this year who may not have had the KOTY, but had the best overall striking in MMA? The bad ass no one wanted to face? It certainly isn't Barboza, I know that much.

I think they need to get like a Royce Gracie award for BJJ, maybe a Severn award for wrestling and a silva award for Striking. Maybe even give an award for Well Rounded MMA fighter. Heck, even a silly Mark Coleman "best Ground n Pound" TKO has a little bit more to it then SOTY, which could just be some lucky flash sub from a nobody we never hear from again, and again that's fine, but give out some awards to people who consistently show, fight after fight, that they know what they're doing.

Jon fitch is a tough fighter who will probably never grace this awards show with a win, but all in all most fighters would rather stay away from him - There has to be a way to translate that to an award for Wrestling or what have you.

What say you? Awards good enough or do we need a few other "overall" or "consistent" categories for those who are truly the best fighters?

I think they should give the best fighters in each division an award.... and oh, they should give them a belt as well and also call them the champion for that division

Don't get too concerned with those meaningless popularity contests.

Seriously making a big deal over meaningless awards.....

Best Fighter Award goes to Anderson Silva.

Best Penis award is a three-way tie between Melvin Guillard, Mike Easton, and Yves Edwards.

Best Fighter Award goes to Anderson Silva.

Best Penis award is a three-way tie between Melvin Guillard, Mike Easton, and Yves Edwards.

actually, the Charles MASK Lewis fighter of the Year Award went to .....Jon Jones...lol

I like your idea TS, I think you make a good point and I would be interested in those kinds of awards.

Just sharing my sincere, positive opinion, we will see if Sherdog implodes as a result.

Back