Mizuno Yawara or Toraki Personal Gold?

Happy Boy, do you speak Japanese? How good do you have to be to train at some of the top places? What are japanese sessions like as well, is it mostly Randori or do you do alot of technique?

Im not fluent at all but have a decent enough level, enough to get most thing across.

For the top places, to train with the top guys, you'd wanna be pretty good to even get on the mat. If you get on and you arent good enough to give anyone a decent fight in randori, they'll just ignore you. For a local place where I train, once you can take a beating without getting hurt every time they'll let you on and take great pride in helping develop your game and try and teach you the Japanese way of judo.

Sessions, very rigid, 1 hour of uchi-komi in a circuit system, then about 45 mins of 4 and a half minute randoris with 30 seconds rest to find a new partner. Once every two weeks they do a skill session where they try and show newbies technique and maybe do some ne-waza/

Im not fluent at all but have a decent enough level, enough to get most thing across.

For the top places, to train with the top guys, you'd wanna be pretty good to even get on the mat. If you get on and you arent good enough to give anyone a decent fight in randori, they'll just ignore you. For a local place where I train, once you can take a beating without getting hurt every time they'll let you on and take great pride in helping develop your game and try and teach you the Japanese way of judo.

Sessions, very rigid, 1 hour of uchi-komi in a circuit system, then about 45 mins of 4 and a half minute randoris with 30 seconds rest to find a new partner. Once every two weeks they do a skill session where they try and show newbies technique and maybe do some ne-waza/

Wow, I'm very surprized that they neglect their Newaza that much... but I guess 24 Gold medals can't be wrong. Do they just turtle alot in Newaza randori?

Wow, I'm very surprized that they neglect their Newaza that much... but I guess 24 Gold medals can't be wrong. Do they just turtle alot in Newaza randori?

The thing is, as junior a lot of them did immense amounts of ne-waza, so they think by the time they get to their late teens and early 20's, they dont need to focus on it anymore as they know enough to not lose on the ground, and thats all they are interested in a lot of the time as newaza are kinda looked down on as inferior or crude. When it hits the deck, a lot of them have a kind of informal agreement to just stand back up and go from there. When training for internationals though they do tonnes of ne-waza so the Euros dont get them on the deck. Most of the time its treated as a way to warm up or to mess around.

The thing is, as junior a lot of them did immense amounts of ne-waza, so they think by the time they get to their late teens and early 20's, they dont need to focus on it anymore as they know enough to not lose on the ground, and thats all they are interested in a lot of the time as newaza are kinda looked down on as inferior or crude. When it hits the deck, a lot of them have a kind of informal agreement to just stand back up and go from there. When training for internationals though they do tonnes of ne-waza so the Euros dont get them on the deck. Most of the time its treated as a way to warm up or to mess around.

Very interesting. I'd personally love to go to the Kodokan for a short period of time to do their Black Belt in a year program.

BTW speaking of judogi's, I just recieved a Gill Sports reversible in the mail today. Nic is selling them really cheap on e-bay ($68 CAN) because no one is buying them. It's a decent double-wieve and it comes with two pairs of pants. He also allowed me to mix sized between top and pants. Great deal for great gi.

Wow, thats a good deal. Gonna go on and have a look. I have one gi here which has immense personal value as they embroidered the name of the club in Japanese onto it and my name in Japanese on the back, but its not gonna last forever so will have to get a second one at some stage.

Wow, thats a good deal. Gonna go on and have a look. I have one gi here which has immense personal value as they embroidered the name of the club in Japanese onto it and my name in Japanese on the back, but its not gonna last forever so will have to get a second one at some stage.

It's perfect for a club gi IMHO, as you only have to wash it half as much without giving away much quality.

You might not like it because of blue though? Well maybe not you, but those Japanese that can break your bones faster than your will might lol.

I'm not sure what the shipping will be for Canada to Japan. I paid $10 for inside the country.

8757_1.jpg

You call that "in good shape"?

*sucks in gut*

Ha ha. Im putting on a few pounds myself, the dojo is closed for 6 weeks for exams and a break so no training, meaning Im seeing some "excess tissue" around my mid section. I lost about 4 inches off my waist within about 2 months of starting training here, they train every weekday and if you step off from exhaustion nobody will fight you when you get back on, bloody brutal.

Ha ha. Im putting on a few pounds myself, the dojo is closed for 6 weeks for exams and a break so no training, meaning Im seeing some "excess tissue" around my mid section. I lost about 4 inches off my waist within about 2 months of starting training here, they train every weekday and if you step off from exhaustion nobody will fight you when you get back on, bloody brutal.

I love hearing about how the Japanese train.

Have you written a blog or something along those lines? I'd love some more insight. The most I've ever gotten was from that old Doug Rodgers documentary.

Mate, could u elaborate a bit on the Gill gi ?

I'm Quebecois, so I gotta support my national champion! I'd go and grab one when I go back for vacations (I'm living in Europe now).

They're not selling well ?

Mate, could u elaborate a bit on the Gill gi ?

I'm Quebecois, so I gotta support my national champion! I'd go and grab one when I go back for vacations (I'm living in Europe now).

They're not selling well ?

Son reversible (comme dans le portrait enhaut) n'est pas trops populaire. Sa coute environs $125 sur son site, mais parce que il en a trops pas vendu il les a mis sur e-bay pour $65. C'est un maudis bon prix.

They prob have more patches than white on them and enough Brazilian flags to cover a samba festival :)

Back