mizuno eurocomp gi for bjj?

BJJ Coffee Drinker

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the Mizuno Eurocomp gi that also trains bjj. How does the eurocomp stack up for bjj? I know it is a narrower fit than other judo gis but it is still a judo gi meaning it likely will be baggier than most bjj gi. for those who have used it, what gis are they similar to in cut? Also, do you find that the eurocomp is similar in size respective to your bjj gis? example, A1 gi size compared to size 3 eurocomp gi. I want a eurocomp as I know the material is quality and I like that double weave feel.

I posted this in the Gear and Equipment forum also but I figured I may get some better responses here as many posters here train gi BJJ and I am more likely to run into someone here who has it than G&E where mma/striking/no-gi only people also frequent

You know the single fuji bjj gi is pretty tough it feels like a double weave , I used to do judo full time and now i go and do some every know and then . the euro comp gi is the only gi my buddy uses and its pretty close to the feel of it .
Toraki now makes bjj gi's too mizuno did have some bjj gi's but i think they stopped . I used to do bjj in a moskito judo gi and it was horrible just too baggy and too thick .
If your gonna do bjj you should get a bjj gi its just a better fit for ground constant groundwork .

You want to train in a double weave gi, in Hawaii? You're crazy, man.

Rolling in a judo gi sucks because of the huge wizard sleeves, which your opponents will constantly be grabbing and twisting up to control your arms. You will probably get a lot of practice at passing spider guard.

Rolling in a judo gi sucks because of the huge wizard sleeves, which your opponents will constantly be grabbing and twisting up to control your arms. You will probably get a lot of practice at passing spider guard.

The plus side of the wizard sleeve is the ezekiel.

I roll with it in BJJ from time to time. The sleeves aren't a big deal, and if you train Judo for a bit you would know how to break sleeve grips anyways. It is better for ezequiel's, and the collar is very thick, so any weakly applied choke won't work, it will have to be accurate. One downside I found on judogi's is the long skirt, which seem to be a target for brabo chokes. But again, if you trained BJJ long enough that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The owner of our gym has one and likes it quite a bit. he doesn't find the sleeves bad - but I definitely note they are bigger than a BJJ gi's.

The sleeves aren't a big deal, and if you train Judo for a bit you would know how to break sleeve grips anyways.

Perhaps, but you can get away with bigger sleeves in Judo because some of the grips used in BJJ are actually illegal in Judo. Like where you twist up the sleeve and pistol-grip it. Definitely would get you a shido in a Judo match.

I think sleeves make a huge difference in BJJ, especially against someone with a good spider guard, because you HAVE to break the grip first before you can start to pass.

And the wizard sleeves actually make ezekiel chokes looser in my experience. If you have narrow BJJ sleeves, it's only going to make the choke that much tighter.

The only good thing about a loose gi, IMO, is that it makes you harder to throw because you have more room to move around inside the gi. What is an advantage in standup quickly turns into a disadvantage when you hit the ground though.

I like the quality of the mizuno double weave types. And I could use more practice at passing spider guard.

But I know it is baggy but would it be comparable to a keiko raca goldweave which I hear is quite very baggy? ANd I also may start judo sometime in the next couple months

No, the eurocomp is not very good for BJJ. I don't wear mine to BJJ if I can avoid it.

The reason is that there is a narrow seam that runs right down the back, along the spine. When you are playing your guard game on your back, this seam is uncomfortable.

Find another DW that has a broader, flatter seam. Avoid suits that are "brushed cotton" on the inside - they get pretty warm. I have the Fushida Icon - very thick but much better fitted than the eurocomp which is baggier. But it is hotter (I'm an Aussie - so I KNOW about training in hot weather) because it has a brushed cotton lining which - while comfy - wears hotter.

Perhaps, but you can get away with bigger sleeves in Judo because some of the grips used in BJJ are actually illegal in Judo. Like where you twist up the sleeve and pistol-grip it. Definitely would get you a shido in a Judo match.

Those grips are banned mainly because they can be used for extreme defense, but are not so good for attacking because they are at the end.

I think sleeves make a huge difference in BJJ, especially against someone with a good spider guard, because you HAVE to break the grip first before you can start to pass.

Not really, in my personal experience the first thing i trained BJJ and met the spider guard, i had a lot of trouble thinking "What kind of BS is this?" i feel it too stalling, however im also of the mentality of "Wherever you go" and i always play with the rules trying to learn something new.

After a while i found out that the reason i couldn't bump the leg was because of the control of the movement of the hand, and that its relatively easy to grab my own wrist with one of the hand, that takes away control of the movement of the arm and allows you to bump the leg upward and towards the other leg, if he doesn't loses the grip he only works at my favor as i can do the same with the other arm and i have both arms under his legs and i can go for a belt lift pass. He either has to lose the grips or try a triangle when i get the first arm free, either way the spider guard is gone, and if you are aware of the triangle its easy to block.

And the wizard sleeves actually make ezekiel chokes looser in my experience. If you have narrow BJJ sleeves, it's only going to make the choke that much tighter.

You can always pistol grip your own gi and get the ezekiel easier.

The only good thing about a loose gi, IMO, is that it makes you harder to throw because you have more room to move around inside the gi. What is an advantage in standup quickly turns into a disadvantage when you hit the ground though.

Loose gi is a big disadvantage in stand-up too, even if you have more room to move inside you can still be moved around while helpless and its harder to break a grip when your gi is loose. You are right when you say that its harder to throw someone loose, but the problem is that when someone throws you he won't be grabbing you by the tips, he is going to grab behind the arm where the gi is not loose.

I like the quality of the mizuno double weave types. And I could use more practice at passing spider guard.

But I know it is baggy but would it be comparable to a keiko raca goldweave which I hear is quite very baggy? ANd I also may start judo sometime in the next couple months

Keiko Racas do seem to have baggy sleeves and pant legs, that's the main reason I haven't bought one.

The other thing you should consider is that a Mizuno Eurocomp costs... what? Like $200? That's more expensive than any BJJ gi I've ever seen.

I would suggest buying a middle of the road judo gi and a middle of the road BJJ gi if you want to do both. And most judo guys wear cheap gis to practice. If you walk in for your first day of judo wearing a Mizuno Eurocomp people are going to be like :icon_neut , besides, how do you even know if you are going to like judo yet?

well, I know it is expensive but I can get a eurocomp top for under $100 from my friend but he's in the in the mainland so I can't try it on or anything. I have been training bjj quite a bit and for the last couple months have been training at least 6 days a week if not all 7 days and 2x a day on some days. I do intend on going to judo about 2x a week in the next couple months when this new dojo sets up shop closer to my house.

It's not a matter of me intending to go to judo making me want it, it is more that I like heavy, thick type gis like double weaves but I don't favor very baggy gis. So naturally, hearing the eurocomp gi is a double and supposedly more narrow than other judo gis made me interested. and that I dont need to pay like $150+ for it also.

AND, for bjj standards I know it will be, I won't be surprised that people will say it's baggy as I expect that from a gi made for judo. If it is similar to the baggy keiko raca gis, I don't mind as they are snug compared to other judo gis. If the eurocomp is very close to the keiko racas then I will not mind. I can live with that as long as I am not swimming inside my own gi

I've got a Mizuno Eurocomp and I rock it at BJJ comps all the time.

It's baggier than a traditional BHH gi, but my Eurocomp is made of freaking iron and much more difficult to grip. I've found some guys almost suffering finger fatigue from trying to tie me up.

I say go for it.

The seams ahve never bothered me at all. I mean, hell, I train in it 3x's a week for hours at a time. You get pretty comfortable in it.

Back