Mixing High-Reps with Low-Reps

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by BayAreaGuy, Aug 4, 2016.

1. BayAreaGuy

BayAreaGuy Good Day

What do you guys think about alternating workouts between high and low reps. Meaning, low reps with heavy resistance, then the next day using high reps with light restance.

I never thought there'd be an issue until reading this article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/high-reps-low-reps-which-rep-scheme-is-best.html

Monday's workout would tell your body it's time to get big, but then Wednesday's workout will kick your body into a bit of strength mode. Finally, Friday's workout will run counter to Monday's and place the emphasis on raw strength. What is a confused body to do?!

It's kind of why an elite level sprinter can't simply wake up one day, decide to run a marathon, and hope to be awesome at both distances.

While I'm saying that you need to spend time on both ends of the neural-metabolic continuum, you need to have some patience and zero-in your efforts on one at a time. The general rule is to spend at least 4-6 weeks focusing on one end before you even think about heading to the other.

2. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

There is supporting evidence for both Daily Undulating periodization and block periodization. Some qualities may do better under one scheme than another.

3. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

4. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

5. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

I do this somewhat. PPLx2, first 3 days are hypertrophy days, and the last 3 are max effort days. It works well for me. I stalled for awhile because I'd do only low reps, even with accessory work. Since adding in hypertrophy and more volume, I broke through it, and the progression is good.

neomage2021 likes this.
  6. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

Isn't this what is referred to as, "Power Bodybuilding"? Train for maximal strength in the big lifts and use higher reps in the hypertrophy range for assistance work?

7. j123

Never really considered it, I thought most programs have hypertrophy rep ranges in it anyways, in regards to assistance/accessory work.

531 BBB, and West Side both have that. I wouldn't say they're anything close to the realm of bodybuilding either.

8. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

@KnightTemplar Yeah more or less. Works well, currently running a guy through something similar to it. But most good programs do consist of some hypertrophy work anyway.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  9. KnightTemplar

Fair point, neither of these systems is close to, "pure" Bodybuilding. But they would fit one of the definitions of Power Bodybuilding: get strong as possible in the big Lifts, then use higher rep work to build Pecs and Guns that turn on Nuns.:)

I think there is at least one F13 regular who uses Greyskull or something similar, and he refers to his training as Power Building.

10. KnightTemplar

Agreed. 5/3/1, Greyskull LP, Juggernaut and Cube all have Hypertrophy work built in. In fact, I believe the Cube has a, "Bodybuilding day" as part of it's 4 day per week template. Apart from the classic Boring But Big, there is also a 5/3/1 for Bodybuilding template.

11. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Hypertrophy work is protective, and contributes to mid level strength gains. Too many overlook it.

NurseKnuckles, Sano and KnightTemplar like this.
  12. MandirigmaFit

MandirigmaFit Blue Belt

Verkhoshansky talks about that in Special Strengh Training, albeit, very briefly.

It is called Contrast Training.

What would be your intended outcome/goal?

13. j123

Or build the steel tris that steal wives

14. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Then get da glutes for a slooots

15. j123

Then get the pecs that turn women's necks

16. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

I was under the impression that contrast training didn't have anythig to do with rep range, but instead was a method for using the potentiation effect from heavy weights to increase the stimulus of a dynamic movement performed later in the same workout.

MandirigmaFit likes this.
  17. MandirigmaFit

MandirigmaFit Blue Belt

Sorry. I'm still feeling the effects of Outside Lands music festival. It is actually the Complex Method. Contrast Method uses assistance and resistance to sport-specific movements, i.e. band-assisted sprints or swimming with fins or on a pulley. To be a little more specific in the complex method, usually, the lower the intensity the faster the movement.

Using heavy resistance to increase potential output is the Stimulation Method. I'm sure other people call it different things.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  18. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

I try not to worry too much about exact terminology when dealing with translated Russian stuff. There's probably 3 or 4 accurate ways to say everything.

19. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

Heavy day/light day has been around forever and was my first program in 1984.

Sano likes this.