Mitts advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Frenchaussie, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Frenchaussie

Frenchaussie White Belt

Hey guys - I'm new to the forum.

I started learning muai thai and I practiced for about a year until I had a bad hip injury. After hip surgery and a year without sport the doctor has finally allowed me to go back to martial arts but I am not allowed to do any kicking :( so I'm gonna move to "Western" boxing. A few mates of mine are keen to train with me and we are looking into buying some focus mitts.

I live in Asia (Singapore) so I will be buying direct from the US (there's more choice).

Would you mind please recommending some mitts for me/us please? The budget is anywhere between $60 and $100.

I was looking at the Fighting Sports Tri Tech Curved Mitts (http://store.titleboxing.com/fighting-sports-tri-tech-curved-mitts.html) or the TITLE Gel Contoured Punch Mitts (http://store.titleboxing.com/title-gel-contoured-punch-mitts.html)

Since the mitts are going to be used by different people, I picked mitts that have a strap to ensure it fits everyone's hands.

Not sure whether I should stick to curved focus mitts of whether I should get straight mitts to allow for elbow strikes - happy to hear your views.

2. Deathstriker

Deathstriker I eat Simba and wear his skin

Ever looked into thai brands? They may be much closer and better.

3. Frenchaussie

Frenchaussie White Belt

Unfortunately, Singapore has little stock and prices for Thai brands tend to be similar and sometimes more expensive than the same products in the US. Not much competition and low sales volumes here. Plus Thai brands for focus mitts tend to have no fingers cover and no hand strap.

4. Aikidoka

Aikidoka Chief Troublemaker Double Yellow Card

Well I guess you'll have to order from somewhere else than Thailand. But I don't know why, are you sure they have no cover for your fingers? I mean there should be some that do.

5. TBK117

TBK117 Yellow Belt

Both Fairtex and Twins have mitts with finger hoods and straps, and as stated before they are closer. I don't know what the difference is in shipping but it has to be cheaper you might want to check out muaythai-fighting.com or someplace like that and look at the models with finger hoods. Also if its going to be used by many people Thai brands tend to be very durable, Im not so sure if the two you listed will last as long.

6. TBK117

TBK117 Yellow Belt

Now that I think about it if a lot of people are using them you might want to take into account the velcro the brand uses for the strap. Other members who have used title, fighting sports, ring to cage, etc. should be a able to chime in on which brand holds up best in that department.
    When one person is using the mitts they don't have to be adjusted constantly and this is less of a factor, but with multiple people and hand sizes it could be something to think about.
    End of the day as a newbie you should opt for protection so everyone can use the mitts comfortably, while some may prefer a lighter mitt they can still use a more protective/bulkier model while those who need protection won't be able to use the lighter mitt at all.