Law Mitt voted yes on impeachment

No he didnt. But he absolutely has Utah on lockdown.
Sure he did. He lost by 4% to an incumbent.

Someone like that has a chance to win.

Last edited:
Given how the party is now Trump party and had been hating Mitt for awhile, he really doesn't have any chance of even coming near the primary.

Much like McCain, the moment he lost to Obama he was a pariah nationally.

Edit: he had a 18% favorable rating nationally.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/mitt-romney-seen-favorably-by-just-18-of-americans-poll
Trump is hot now, but things change, and they sometimes change drastically. Anyone who has been around has witnessed it.

*Edit*
Nevertheless, I'm not sure why you're so hellbent on demonstrating that Romney had nothing to lose. That doesn't strengthen the case that he didn't do this out of sheer spite, and not due to integrity. You're so triggered by your knee-jerk reaction to naysay me, or Romney, that apparently you didn't consider the implications of your argument.

This photo distills Romney's greatest motivation to vote against Trump:

Trump is hot now, but things change, and they sometimes change drastically. Anyone who has been around has witnessed it.

*Edit*
Nevertheless, I'm not sure why you're so hellbent on demonstrating that Romney had nothing to lose. That doesn't strengthen the case that he didn't do this out of sheer spite, and not due to integrity. You're so triggered by your knee-jerk reaction to naysay me, or Romney, that apparently you didn't consider the implications of your argument.

This photo distills Romney's greatest motivation to vote against Trump:

The idea that he was somehow going to end his career with this move is wrong, not just naysaying you.

He will remain a senator from Utah. That's it. He could toe the party line, but didnt. He gave his reasoning for why he voted to remove.

The idea that he was somehow going to end his career with this move is wrong, not just naysaying you.

He will remain a senator from Utah. That's it. He could toe the party line, but didnt. He gave his reasoning for why he voted to remove.
He killed his chances on the federal stage. Of course he'll always have Utah, but now he's a Strom Thurmond for life, and will no longer enjoy a future as a thought leader or spiritual leader for the Republicans. He definitely won't have a presence in Presidential races.

He killed his chances on the federal stage. Of course he'll always have Utah, but now he's a Strom Thurmond for life, and will no longer enjoy a future as a thought leader or spiritual leader for the Republicans. He definitely won't have a presence in Presidential races.

That had already happened.

Romney is an idiot, the fact he believes Joseph Smith WASN'T a conman proves it.

Wow a GOP politicians, who is fulfilling his obligation to the American people and the constitution, and not blindly following his parties marching orders. How dare he be an impartial juror!

How will Trump get revenge? I wonder.

And Romney likely did not vote because of moral reasons.

He's a 72 year old millionaire hundreds of times over who doesn't give a shit anymore and privately most Republicans will shake his hand and say they wish they could go against Trump too. I don't know how long he wants to stay in politics anyway, but this won't hurt him in Utah with Mormons and hardly any Evangelicals. There ain't really a damn thing Trump can do to hurt him, he'll just talk shit on Twitter and his supporters will talk shit online. Mitt's in a good position.

I'm sure it wasn't personal.

What a stupid, stupid hill to die on. Romney still had a shot at being President some day.
A Republican like him will have serious trouble beating any half-way decent D candidate. The R party better not let what made Trump win die when his presidency ends, because they could easily be as fractured as the dems in the near future.

You rightwingers just keep proving that you have no morals or substance, and that all that matters is that your team wins.
I'm guessing the majority of you didn't even listen to Romeny's speech when explaining why he voted the way that he did.
I'm no fan of Romney, but it was a good speech, and if you don't believe in anything else, I know the guy takes his religion seriously.

He did what he felt was right, knowing full well that the impeachment would end in an acquittal and that it would make him a leper in his own party.
He has more balls than your entire party.

I'm sure it wasn't personal.

What a stupid, stupid hill to die on. Romney still had a shot at being President some day.
It’s amazing to me that regular people would support putting political strategy and ambition over doing the right thing.

Maybe you disagree that Trump should be impeached but if you grant that Romney is telling the truth and he believes he should be impeached it most definitely is the honorable hill to die on.

You should also consider that a Senator with principles doesn’t want any part of what the GOP represents now and is fine with losing his seat. Is it hard to imagine a man as respected and successful as Romney doesn’t want to be complicit in covering for a corrupt president and working with a party devoid of any principle other than tribal loyalty?

Like I’ve said before, turn in your NeverTrump card.

I just think it's a bit ironic how the left is fawning over some right win Mormon him right now just because he voted for Trumps removal out of spite. Everything else that guy stands for is literally what modern Democrats screech about. The White privileged Conservative Christian/Mormon male is all of the sudden their hero. His vote didn't even make a difference on how the outcome would have went.
What is ironic about it?
You're looking at this purely through some partisan lenses, and/or are on the internet too much.
Just because a John Bolton, or a Romney says something that I believe is correct, or that I agree with doesn't mean anything beyond that. Commending McCain for his vote on healthcare doesn't mean he is now totally cool and I'm going to forget about all of the other shit he's done/believes. No one is "fawning" over these guys. We're givnig props where props are due, or acknowledging facts. When a politician is being genuine, I will support that, but if theyre just playing partisan games or putting money and power over the people they represent, then they can fuck off.
Are we supposed to just go "lol Republicans eating their own! FEEL THE BERN#2020"? Disagree when they say the sky is blue ?

Your belief that he voted out of spite is based on what? Did you listen to his explanation?
And why would he vote to impeach knowing that it wouldn't result in impeachment AND that it would make him unpopular with his tribalistic colleagues? He voted that way because he believed it was an impeachable offense.

Last edited:
Partisan politics makes me sick.
If he did what he did because he thought it was right then I applaud him.
That's what we should all be asking of all of our politicians. Just do what you think is right.
Guy is like 72 and has a secure job for the next four years and is worth a quarter of a billion dollars. He'll be alright even if he is Persona Non Grata.

I'm probably crazy for thinking he actually evaluated the case and came to a decision based on his conscience instead of his political party.

Back