Mitrione's Strategy - knockout just a matter of time ?

Shol

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I dunno but he was clinching and doing body kicks then all of a sudden he decides to start slugging it out with Nelson and I was sitting there thinking "wow, he's going to get knocked out at any moment and it's a sure thing" and sure enough... voila.

I know he trained for the heavy hitting etc but I guess he just decided he was going to be able to trade ? I Just thought that he if he would have not adapted a really horrible strategy for someone like Nelson the outcome might have been different.

Ah well.

He started off well and I liked the visible improvement in his kicking skills. However, you really don't want to stand and trade punches with Roy since he's been able to hang 15 minutes with both JDS and Werdum.

Mitrione was doing decent early in the round, he was using his longer reach and staying at a far distance so Roy couldn't land a bomb. Then he ended up trying to brawl with Roy and paid for it.

Should have kept using his distance and his jab.

Meathead stepped in on short notice, and instead of being a bitch and trying to win a UD, he came to throw bombs and scrap. You have to respect that; no shame in this loss. That being said, Meathead did look super bummed after the fight.

Yeah. I was really surprised that all of a sudden he just decided to start flailing away and trading it made no sense since he was having some success with what he was doing.

Ah well guess it's different once yer in the cage and have a fighter style personality etc.

Mitrione was doing decent early in the round, he was using his longer reach and staying at a far distance so Roy couldn't land a bomb. Then he ended up trying to brawl with Roy and paid for it.

Should have kept using his distance and his jab.

Whatever Mitrione's strategy was I don't think he remembered to use it in the fight.

A smart strategy would have been to circle away from Roy's right hand and use his superior reach to keep the jab in Roy's face and leg kick to never let Roy get off.

But he got sucked into Roy's world.

I know it may sound weird but i think losing him mouthpiece really threw him off.

Of course I respect that, but the thing is..he had a good chance at winning if he did anything else but what started do after he was having success with his early interaction with Roy.

And well who knows maybe he could have KOed Nelson at some point with body kick accumulation etc.

I just found it weird he pretty much catered to the best and most efficient way for Roy to win. You even saw at first Roy decided to grapple because of Mitrione's early success.

oh well :)

Meathead stepped in on short notice, and instead of being a bitch and trying to win a UD, he came to throw bombs and scrap. You have to respect that; no shame in this loss. That being said, Meathead did look super bummed after the fight.

Whatever Mitrione's strategy was I don't think he remembered to use it in the fight.

A smart strategy would have been to circle away from Roy's right hand and use his superior reach to keep the jab in Roy's face and leg kick to never let Roy get off.

But he got sucked into Roy's world.

I would have to imagine that would have ultimately lead to the fight being taken to the ground, where Meathead would have had no chance against Nelson.

I would have to imagine that would have ultimately lead to the fight being taken to the ground, where Meathead would have had no chance against Nelson.

Roy doesn't take people down very easily. That's why every fight he has stays standing. He'd dominate most people on the ground if he could get them there. Seemingly his only takedown technique is the hug and drag, similar to Nick Diaz.

I know it may sound weird but i think losing him mouthpiece really threw him off.

Probably some. I was sitting there thinking to myself the whole time he lost it that the refs needs to put it in asap before it gets knocked out without it and sure enough he ate some bombs but luckily not in the mouth lol.

Roy doesn't take people down very easily. That's why every fight he has stays standing. He'd dominate most people on the ground if he could get them there. Seemingly his only takedown technique is the hug and drag, similar to Nick Diaz.

Yeah, Roy's takedowns aren't very good, besides the punch opponent in face until he falls down technique.

You don't brawl with a guy whose beard is made out of diorite and a chin made out of diamonds.

Yeah, how come Herb Dean did not set a timeout for Mitrione to put his mouthpiece back?

I think it might be more a question of cardio than a question of technique; i.e. I'm thinking Nelson prefers the standup to the ground game because it's less of a physical grind for a fat boy (who could kick my ass). Nelson even said it after the post-fight interview, he didn't really have striking before 2009, and before that, he was mainly a grappler. So I have to think it's intentional. If he really wanted to, Nelson could probably break out the occasional inside trip or ippon :)icon_twis) in the octagon against anyone.

It really did seem like he was distracted after the mouth piece came out. I wish they would have just stopped it and gave him it back.

i agree i remember i stopped really payin attention and just kept focusing on the ref and when hes gonna call time out

He didn't respect Roy's power and paid the price.

I really think Meathead could have won, he just got too hyped up....stick with the game plan guy.

On the other hand, Roy is really good at what he does. I use to like him until this TV show, he seemed like a total dick.

Back