Mistrust of Science - Evolution vs Creationism in the classroom

I wasn't discrediting "science", just dilettantes like @Voodoo_Child906 who fashion themselves as enlightened, while claiming things like "[most politicians/most Supreme Court justices/most climatologist]" claim X, therefore X.

Are you agreeing with me that science rests on assumptions just like religion?

LOL Dude you really need to get over that last thread. What in the heck happened to you?

It's always hilarious seeing religious people try to discredit science and provide their own completely unfounded alternative while they themselves don't even believe in their own religions strongly enough to even try to live according to the teachings of them.

I suggest talking a proper stance on your own beliefs first and then move on to argue other things.
Scientists are constantly discrediting bad science.

The Theory of Evolution is incomplete just like every other theory we have. I think a reasonable amount of faith should be given to the theory of evolution since it's principles provide a framework for modern genetics, molecular biology, medicine and some areas of agriculture. Scientists have used the theory to produce real world results unlike Creationism.
why bring Creationism into it?
I still don’t understand the necessity of beating this dead horse. Its over, progress forward. Any flaw you can produce regarding a worldview based on the bible should not strengthen nor weaken one’s look at Evolutionary science. It shouldnt effect it at all. Nothing about Evolution is based or drawn from the Bible. It stands alone.
The unrelenting desire of proponents of Evolution to slag on Creationism at every turn is the only thing that makes me think I might be missing something of Truth in the Bible. People don’t typically try so hard and frequent to denounce something that isnt a threat.

why bring Creationism into it?
I still don’t understand the necessity of beating this dead horse. Its over, progress forward. Any flaw you can produce regarding a worldview based on the bible should not strengthen nor weaken one’s look at Evolutionary science. It shouldnt effect it at all. Nothing about Evolution is based or drawn from the Bible. It stands alone.
The unrelenting desire of proponents of Evolution to slag on Creationism at every turn is the only thing that makes me think I might be missing something of Truth in the Bible. People don’t typically try so hard and frequent to denounce something that isnt a threat.

I agree completely with that and I'd rather leave Creationism\Intelligent Design in the garbage heap of pseudo science history but when we still have 18% of High School biology teachers (according to the article) trying to teach it as a valid alternative to Evolution in the science class room I get frustrated. Leave it for religion-philosophy class and not biology and no one will care.

Creationism was the wrong approach by the Church to compensate for the scientific revolution. Nobody worth their salt argues about the scientific accuracy of the Greek Myths, but they understand that there are meaning and teachings to be taken from the stories. When you hear the phrase "don't fly too close to the sun", you understand that the story of Icarus tries to impart a lesson. You don't go around arguing about the scientific accuracy of the underground maze and the Minotaur. The stories in the Bible have roots that are much deeper than the year it was written (oral stories that were passed down before the written word was invented) and contain a collection of spiritual lessons that are lost today.

There's a parallel meaning behind the creation myths in genesis and the birth of the buddha. Buddha was born into a city built by his father, the king (God figure), who wanted to protect Buddha from the suffering from the world by encasing him into paradise (garden of Eden). He was provided all of his earthly needs and had all the evils of the world removed within the city walls. The only rule was that he could not leave the gates (don't eat from the fruit...ect). But eventually, the temptation of the outside world lures him out. He discovers the dark nature of being a conscious being by witnessing suffering and death outside the walls. What he sees from the outside world scares him into retreating into his paradise, but he is forever changed by the experience and can no longer be satisfied within (Adam and Eve unable to return to the garden once their eyes open). He leaves the gates and eventually realizes that suffering is the nature of reality as a conscious human being, and eventually becomes a Christ-like figure by reaching Nirvana through voluntarily suffering then accepting it was his duty to impart his knowledge to his fellow men. The old testament is a guidebook towards enlightenment. The creation myths were designed to teach us the nature of human consciousness.

The old testament is a guidebook towards enlightenment. The creation myths were designed to teach us the nature of human consciousness.
I respectfully disagree. The Old Testament is the true story of creation, Adam and Eve living in perfect fellowship with God before sin entered the world.

Creationism was the wrong approach by the Church to compensate for the scientific revolution. Nobody worth their salt argues about the scientific accuracy of the Greek Myths, but they understand that there are meaning and teachings to be taken from the stories. When you hear the phrase "don't fly too close to the sun", you understand that the story of Icarus tries to impart a lesson. You don't go around arguing about the scientific accuracy of the underground maze and the Minotaur. The stories in the Bible have roots that are much deeper than the year it was written (oral stories that were passed down before the written word was invented) and contain a collection of spiritual lessons that are lost today.

There's a parallel meaning behind the creation myths in genesis and the birth of the buddha. Buddha was born into a city built by his father, the king (God figure), who wanted to protect Buddha from the suffering from the world by encasing him into paradise (garden of Eden). He was provided all of his earthly needs and had all the evils of the world removed within the city walls. The only rule was that he could not leave the gates (don't eat from the fruit...ect). But eventually, the temptation of the outside world lures him out. He discovers the dark nature of being a conscious being by witnessing suffering and death outside the walls. What he sees from the outside world scares him into retreating into his paradise, but he is forever changed by the experience and can no longer be satisfied within (Adam and Eve unable to return to the garden once their eyes open). He leaves the gates and eventually realizes that suffering is the nature of reality as a conscious human being, and eventually becomes a Christ-like figure by reaching Nirvana through voluntarily suffering then accepting it was his duty to impart his knowledge to his fellow men. The old testament is a guidebook towards enlightenment. The creation myths were designed to teach us the nature of human consciousness.

The Scriptures are, for the most part, a literal account of history.

I respectfully disagree. The Old Testament is the true story of creation, Adam and Eve living in perfect fellowship with God before sin entered the world.

The Scriptures are, for the most part, a literal account of history.

I can't tell if you guys are trolling or if people actually still think this way. Evolution is not a theory you can argue against. There's such overwhelming evidence for it that anyone who denies it is basically a fool. Creationism is the wrong answer. The marriage of the scientific knowledge we have today with the teachings of the Bible is what is going to allow it to continue to stand the test of time. The Church today has become a place for those who want to stick their heads in the sand and deny reality.

I agree completely with that and I'd rather leave Creationism\Intelligent Design in the garbage heap of pseudo science history but when we still have 18% of High School biology teachers (according to the article) trying to teach it as a valid alternative to Evolution in the science class room I get frustrated. Leave it for religion-philosophy class and not biology and no one will care.

The Bible should be taught in science class, history class, philosophy, sociology, civics, and the arts.

What is weird is how the education system is in collapse outside of this.

That wasn't me that said that. How did you quote the wrong person?

Imagine being an adult in the year 2020 and actually believing this.

I can't tell if you guys are trolling or if people actually still think this way. Evolution is not a theory you can argue against. There's such overwhelming evidence for it that anyone who denies it is basically a fool. Creationism is the wrong answer. The marriage of the scientific knowledge we have today with the teachings of the Bible is what is going to allow it to continue to stand the test of time. The Church today has become a place for those who want to stick their heads in the sand and deny reality.

Here's the thing tho. Scripture proves itself for those who study and analyze the world around them. Evolution is just an ever evolving theory based on nothing but pretense and assumptions. I understand Scripture and I understand Evolution. Scripture wins everytime.

Evolution on a macro scale and the Genesis account of creation cannot go together. They cannot be merged.

What is weird is how the education system is in collapse outside of this.

There's a systemic problem from grade school all the way to the top Universities. Poorly disguised neo-marxism has basically infested every field of study except for the Sciences, and who knows how long the Sciences will last. We're going to see a return to the tyranny of fascism and communism that wiped out hundreds of millions. Its the failure of the Church to replace the underlying Christian foundation of the West after the scientific revolution that caused this in the first place.

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"

Nietzsche's 1882 collection The gay science

I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
-Albert Einstein

Noahs ark is a warning against civilizations that become overly corrupt, and how to survive in those dark times. Who knows what direction the world is heading in, but my goal is being able to self-sustain and live off the grid if shit really hits the fan.

Evolution on a macro scale and the Genesis account of creation cannot go together. They cannot be merged.

You have totally missed the point of those stories. Stop reading them as literal accounts of history and re-read what I wrote above. I'm pretty sure you're trolling though.

You have totally missed the point of those stories. Stop reading them as literal accounts of history and re-read what I wrote above. I'm pretty sure you're trolling though.
No, what happened in the Old Testament is what happened in history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back