Opinion Missouri votes to open up legislators to transparency; Republican legislators vote to reverse

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Missouri House on Tuesday opted to allow House members to restrict access to public records, two months after voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment that subjects legislators to the state's Sunshine Law.

The GOP-controlled chamber changed its rules Tuesday, allowing lawmakers to keep confidential "constituent case files" and records relating to Democrats' or Republicans' "caucus strategy."

The new rule defines a "constituent case file" as "any correspondence, written or electronic, between a member and a constituent, or between a member and any other party pertaining to a constituent's grievance, a question of eligibility for any benefit as it relates to a particular constituent, or any issue regarding a constituent's request for assistance."

The move drew fire from Democrats, who said that the GOP had effectively usurped the will of the voters through a parliamentary maneuver. Missouri voters in November approved Amendment 1, better known as "Clean Missouri," which, among other things, designates legislative emails as open records.

Sean Nicholson, Clean Missouri's campaign manager, said the courts could ultimately decide whether the House rule runs counter to the state Constitution.

"I think it would be pretty hard to justify ... in court and with constituents why they are trying to undo the will of the voters right after Amendment 1 passed in a landslide," Nicholson said.

Rep. Nick Schroer, R-O'Fallon, said that his communications are still open, but that he was seeking to "protect" his constituents' emails from disclosure. He said the media and others could exploit the new provision to air constituent communications that were once considered private.

"That is something that I am going to stand against," Schroer said.

Nicholson said the Sunshine Law already details several exemptions public entities can use to redact or close records; those provisions allow for the closure of personal information in certain cases.

And this is after they already vacated a voter referendum on St. Louis' minimum wage and considered reversing a voter referendum on right-to-work. And if the open contempt for democracy and open corruption were surprising, then this won't be: they also voted, without having their individual votes recorded, to allow employers to fire people for being gay.

In other action, lawmakers voted down a proposal by Rep. Greg Razer, D-Kansas city, who wanted to add anti-discrimination protections for LGBTQ House employees into the lower chamber's rule manual.

"It's almost 2020," said Razer, who is openly gay. "Let's not fire the gay guy, just because he's gay."

The Missouri Human Rights Act already forbids employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability and age — meaning legislators already cannot discriminate against their employees for those reasons.

But state law does not include protections for those who may be discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. Razer's proposal would not have affected state statute.

Rep. Curtis Trent, R-Springfield, said he worried peoples' "religious liberty" would be encroached upon if the proposal were to take effect. He worried such changes invite litigation and would spur efforts to include protections for other groups in the law.

"This should be a question that's answered by all of society and we should have a broad consensus before we move in any direction beyond where we're at right now," Trent said.

Rep. Mike Stephens, R-Bolivar, spoke in favor of the rule change.

"It is time now to step forward and eliminate that as an obstacle," Stephens said. "These practices are a vestige of times that we believe are passing and changing."

The measure was killed on a voice vote, meaning individual members' stances were not recorded.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

Look, Trot, all the dems have to do is come up with someone just slightly less crazy and stupid as Hillary... Trump will be gone. But, from what I watch play out here and around us daily, I'm honestly not sure that's possible.

Look, Trot, all the dems have to do is come up with someone just slightly less crazy and stupid as Hillary... Trump will be gone. But, from what I watch play out here and around us daily, I'm honestly not sure that's possible.
do you know what missouri is

Okay, thanks. I'll take that under consideration.

Smh.

Vote 'em out, Missourians.

Smh.

Vote 'em out, Missourians.

It's like a hostage situation. Every few weeks there's some hideous development that shows how corrupt and completely uncaring about their constituents the Missouri GOP is.

It's like a hostage situation. Every few weeks there's some hideous development that shows how corrupt and completely uncaring about their constituents the Missouri GOP is.
just as well. Missourians are dumb and backwards enough to take a butt pounding and ask for seconds. I've never seen a state with such a limited gene-pool from which to draw from.

85% of Missouri is a third world shit hole.

Illinois is only marginally less.

Funny thing about Missouri and Illinois is that rural Republicans in both states bitch and moan about the lazy city people who vote Democrats and steal their hard earned money (coded racism in play here too), when in reality Chicago/St. Louis/Kansas City huuuuuugely subsidize the rural areas. The city folks like get 60% returns on their taxes and rural folks get like 250% returns. It's hilarious. But Donny and Dorothy Dumbfuck will still insist they're the salt of the earth that's paying for all those unproductive city blacks.

Funny thing about Missouri and Illinois is that rural Republicans in both states bitch and moan about the lazy city people who vote Democrats and steal their hard earned money (coded racism in play here too), when in reality Chicago/St. Louis/Kansas City huuuuuugely subsidize the rural areas. The city folks like get 60% returns on their taxes and rural folks get like 250% returns. It's hilarious. But Donny and Dorothy Dumbfuck will still insist they're the salt of the earth that's paying for all those unproductive city blacks.

Basically this. I travel weekly through rural IL, and very often through rural MO and you're 100% accurate.

The reason so many rural people in Illinois, Missouri and the rest of rural America believe that bullsh*t is that politicians and the news media are terrified of telling them the truth. They don't want to be seen as a bunch of big city elitists looking down on simple, honest, hard working Real Muricans.

Did you have a stroke or something? What does that have to do with the OP ya goof>?

The reason so many rural people in Illinois, Missouri and the rest of rural America believe that bullsh*t is that politicians and the news media are terrified of telling them the truth. They don't want to be seen as a bunch of big city elitists looking down on simple, honest, hard working Real Muricans.

I mean....it's also just pointless. Those people would not hear it and would vote against any politician that leveled with them about it and for one that lied to them and said they were super duper productive and lazy city people were stealing their money.

I dont enjoy being cynical. It's unhealthy. Politicians make it really hard for me to change.

just as well. Missourians are dumb and backwards enough to take a butt pounding and ask for seconds. I've never seen a state with such a limited gene-pool from which to draw from.
There are elements of Missouri that are shamefully ignorant. That reputation is overstated though. And the voters here are more flexible than you'd assume on things like, well, the things the OP discusses. Your post is sucky.

There are elements of Missouri that are shamefully ignorant. That reputation is overstated though. And the voters here are more flexible than you'd assume on things like, well, the things the OP discusses. Your post is sucky.
nah. Missouri sucks. Its got 2 military bases, and they are both terrible assignments nobody ever wants. Whiteman AFB, and Ft Loss in the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back