Law Mississippi asks the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade

If the argument for abortion is now about keeping the population down, why are the people in favour of it so often also in favour of free healthcare? And mandatory vaccines for a virus that only kills society's weakest members? And pro-welfare in general?

If you need to keep the numbers down, for efficiency's sake, you need to start by cycling the old out faster.

If the planet cannot sustain our population, then advanced healthcare is apocalyptic.

Which is why I threw the educated bit in there as back up. Clearly there are limits, but I've already got my opinions on over population, resource management, and a person's own right to choose in a safe and healthy environment.
Over population and dwindling resources is a problem...the solution isn't to murder all the babies in their wombs. That's insane.
Overpopulation isn't even a problem, not in the West. In fact we have the opposite problem, namely plummeting birth rates. Not saying that therefore we should ban abortion but I make it my life's mission to push back against the silly notion of overpopulation.

Overpopulation isn't even a problem, not in the West. In fact we have the opposite problem, namely plummeting birth rates. Not saying that therefore we should ban abortion but I make it my life's mission to push back against the silly notion of overpopulation.
Technically, America doesn't have an overpopulation problem, because there is so much space in the midwest that nobody wants. But surely you'd notice the coasts having major issues, and that only goes inward.

I guess it depends where your "problem" line begins and ends. As a Canadian living on one of the biggest land masses on Earth, with a mere 40 million people or so, I gotta say, y'all got an overpopulation issue. It's a little cramped over there.

Torturing them won't either.

And if you don't care about heaven then you're not murdering children. You guys always use half the definition to make these fake arguments. No idea on heaven...so we're going with science? Well, science says they're not children. They are children...so we're going with religion? Well, religion says you shouldn't torture children so you can moralize to their parents.

Let me know which side you're using here - religion or science?
Science says they're not children? Seems more like a moral question, not a scientific one. I doubt many expecting mothers who miscarry their pregnancies think "well it was just a clump of cells anyway"
Technically, America doesn't have an overpopulation problem, because there is so much space in the midwest that nobody wants. But surely you'd notice the coasts having major issues, and that only goes inward.
That's a housing problem, not an overpopulation problem. Again we have the opposite problem, too few babies are being born.

Science says they're not children? Seems more like a moral question, not a scientific one. I doubt many expecting mothers who miscarry their pregnancies think "well it was just a clump of cells anyway"

That's a housing problem, not an overpopulation problem. Again we have the opposite problem, too few babies are being born.
Then we get into the nature vs necessity debate that I used to have with Jack. I actually like having natural surroundings, and not being surrounded by a million people.

Then we get into the nature vs necessity debate that I used to have with Jack. I actually like having natural surroundings, and not being surrounded by a million people.
Uh, that's fine and so do I but that's our personal preference, not a societal problem.

Uh, that's fine and so do I but that's our personal preference, not a societal problem.
Societal problems bleed. Like I said, the coasts are bombarbed, and it only goes inward. Then all of a sudden you have a housing crisis in Kentucky.

Clearly it takes longer than that, but I don't like it. :p

We have plummeting birth rates and that is bad for the economy, but I think humanity is already overpopulated. 7 billion people is too many and environmental consequences have been disasterous..

Ahh so out of the body. So abortions up until delivery are fine ?
No, I just made that clear, there's a big difference between "up until delivery" and a zygote. Within the first trimester I don't think there should be any debate. After that point it could arguably be restricted to some extenuating circumstance.

I agree it could be the spark that ignites the powder keg, but sometimes you have to do the hard thing because its right. Babies are being murdered. Its not their fault this country is so politically fucked up.
Yes true another anti science opinion from the left on this

We have plummeting birth rates and that is bad for the economy, but I think humanity is already overpopulated. 7 billion people is too many and environmental consequences have been disasterous..
A minority of the earth is driving a lot of those environmental consequences. The problem isn't overpopulation, its overconsumption.

Societal problems bleed. Like I said, the coasts are bombarbed, and it only goes inward. Then all of a sudden you have a housing crisis in Kentucky.

Clearly it takes longer than that, but I don't like it. :p
The reason the coasts are overcrowded is due to the housing problem I mentioned but also because in terms of economics a major metropolis is going to have far more pull than a place like rural Kentucky. Plenty of people, if they wanted, could live well if they evacuated the cities and lived as market gardeners in sparsely populated rural areas across the country. But relatively few people want to do that, they prefer to live in or around a major metropolis for a variety of reasons.

So the supreme court start hearing arguments on this tomorrow. Here is summary of current case thus far

Anyways, listening to a podcast and they bring up a good point, that stuff like Ultrasound and other tests were not wide spread back then and it may have changed people's perceptions at the time. But then given the social connotation, feminism, etc that attached itself to the case at the time and after, have polarized people in favor of abortion.

So this brings up the Texas heart beat bill as well, in terms of ultrasounds and testing. But I have seen some people on here in other threads even mention they support abortion to an extent, maybe after 20 weeks, other circumstances, etc. However, this does highlight the Texas law and the 20 weeks, vs what makes 6 weeks any different?

At 20 weeks, people cite the nervous system, etc... but you need a nervous system for a heart beat. So the 6 weeks signifies a nervous system, a heart beat, etc. So I can follow that line of logic about the 20 weeks, but that would make them have to bring it back to about 6 weeks, with heart beat, etc. Just as a father, I know I could see a heart beat even at 5 weeks, and you could see the baby moving that the doctor could even jokingly call dancing at 16 weeks, which already is giving personality to the baby.

Anyways, you now have a NH senator arguing that if Roe v Wade is overturned, they are inciting INSURRECTION and REVOLUTION.

https://news.yahoo.com/dem-senator-warns-supreme-court-150420561.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...evolution-if-roe-v-wade-overturned/ar-AARjgjO

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem-senator-revolution-roe-wade-overturned

This is an obvious insurrection of not only the republic system (Mississippi and other states fighting for state rights), but also the judicial system (supreme court). She should be removed from office at the very least. Calling for a legit revolution/color war? Disgusting.

State AG: 'The conclusion that abortion is a constitutional right has no basis in text, structure, history, or tradition'

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mississippi-asks-supreme-court-to-overrule-roe-v-wade

Here we go, do you think Trumps SCOTUS overturns Roe v Wade?

Roe is just bad law, plain and simple. I'm not even talking about the moral implications on either sides, its just bad law that ignores constitutional law. 6 former SCOTUS justices and a litany of constitutional scholars, some of whom even support abortion, think its a dumb decision

Soon they'll want to remove women's rights to vote.

Back