Law Mississippi Abortion Law in SCOTUS: Roe v. Wade in the Crosshairs

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The justices are hearing arguments in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, concerning a law enacted in 2018 by the Mississippi Legislature that banned abortions if “the probable gestational age of the unborn human” was determined to be more than 15 weeks.

Most experts hold fetal viability to be about 24 weeks.

This law, if upheld, would open the door for even more limited abortion laws, and ultimately, the defacto-- if not outright-- ban of abortion in conservative states.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/01/us/abortion-mississippi-supreme-court

What do you guys think? With their lopsided majority on the SCOTUS, do conservatives get what they've been after for decades?

When I was a kid, a lot of conservatives were single issue voters on abortion. A lot I knew didn't even care about guns. Now days, conservatives have more to work with. They can build the wall and fight mask mandates. They can back the police with money. They can drone strike Arabs and Persians. A lot of that is hard though. They might have mixed feelings on some of it. Abortion is easy by comparison, and I think it is a good payout for their faithful since it isn't needed to keep them on the line.

I used to be pro life, or at least ambivalent on the issue, but I'm pretty prochoice now. I love a good slippery slope argument, and I think conservatives who go after abortion will seek to criminalize spontaneous abortions--forcing women to prove they did everything they could to save a pregnancy, or put them on for murder.

They'll be in bed at the hospital after losing three liters of blood passing a day old dead baby, and the religious police will barge into the room asking the woman if she smoked or jumped on a trampoline.

"Bitch, did you eat taco bell? Did you take your vitamins? Let's see your stamp card to confirm you weren't late to any prenatal exams. Did you know you had a family history of this? Were you negligent?"

I myself am 100% pro life, BUT I do not think abortions should be restricted to 15 weeks and under. I guess I just believe woman (and their partners) should be able to choose for themselves. (I don’t think I’ll get into the argument for abortions late term though) I hope they uphold the 24 week that’s already in place and I’ll leave it at that.

I personally find abortion to be terrible (aside from the obvious circumstances)

Its a testament to where the human race currently resides morally. But whatever, I also don't care to control or restrict what other humans do to themselves or their unborn child. So leave it to the people, live and let live.

Abortion is probably one of the major reasons we have so much sexual immorality. And especially the sexual promiscuity seen at such young ages. Young teens and kids even younger just get taught "you can have sex, just get an abortion." It's sad and it's messed up. It's a reason America is in trouble.

Here is what will be hilarious, the GOP campaign on ending abortions and tell the Rubes to vote for them so they could stack the Supreme Court. It will be funny watching this court upholding Roe v Wade.

When I was a kid, a lot of conservatives were single issue voters on abortion. A lot I knew didn't even care about guns. Now days, conservatives have more to work with. They can build the wall and fight mask mandates. They can back the police with money. They can drone strike Arabs and Persians. A lot of that is hard though. They might have mixed feelings on some of it. Abortion is easy by comparison, and I think it is a good payout for their faithful since it isn't needed to keep them on the line.

I used to be pro life, or at least ambivalent on the issue, but I'm pretty prochoice now. I love a good slippery slope argument, and I think conservatives who go after abortion will seek to criminalize spontaneous abortions--forcing women to prove they did everything they could to save a pregnancy, or put them on for murder.

They'll be in bed at the hospital after losing three liters of blood passing a day old dead baby, and the religious police will barge into the room asking the woman if she smoked or jumped on a trampoline.

"Bitch, did you eat taco bell? Did you take your vitamins? Let's see your stamp card to confirm you weren't late to any prenatal exams. Did you know you had a family history of this? Were you negligent?"

<Dany07>

Is it my body my choice or not liberals? Make up your fucking minds. Because if you can forcibly inoculate people against their will, then conservatives can force you to have a baby.
I'm just going to point out the obvious: the same argument also works in reverse.

I myself am 100% pro life, BUT I do not think abortions should be restricted to 15 weeks and under. I guess I just believe woman (and their partners) should be able to choose for themselves. (I don’t think I’ll get into the argument for abortions late term though) I hope they uphold the 24 week that’s already in place and I’ll leave it at that.

That's pro-choice. You are 100% pro-choice.

Abortion is probably one of the major reasons we have so much sexual immorality. And especially the sexual promiscuity seen at such young ages. Young teens and kids even younger just get taught "you can have sex, just get an abortion." It's sad and it's messed up. It's a reason America is in trouble.

Actually, sex education and better/cheaper access to contraceptives have lowered teen pregnancy and abortion rates in the US for the last 3 decades.

FT_19.08.02_TeenBirths_Abortion-pregnancy-rates-declined-among-teenagers-US.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/02/why-is-the-teen-birth-rate-falling/

Actually, sex education and better/cheaper access to contraceptives have lowered teen pregnancy and abortion rates in the US for the last 3 decades.

FT_19.08.02_TeenBirths_Abortion-pregnancy-rates-declined-among-teenagers-US.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/02/why-is-the-teen-birth-rate-falling/
When first implemented (sex ed classes) in the 60's, they actually saw a skyrocket in teen pregnancy and STD's. I doubt that sex ed had much to do with lowering the rate since the 90s unless they totally changed it up then. Otherwise it has a mixed legacy.

Back