Missing something? Grappling S&P routine

judogido

Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...
Reaction score
I've started lifting again to gain some extra strength & power.

Routine so far is:
* Squats (full squats - bum to the ground)
* Benchpress
* Power cleans
* Chinups (wide grip, unassisted)
* One-legged squats (explained below)
* Dips (unassisted)

The one-legged squats are done holding a dumbell in either hand. Bend forward at the waist extending one leg behind you and balancing on 1 leg. Then squat 10x & change to other leg. This exercise is great for judo throws esp. uchi-mata.

Everything above is done using freeweights, with the exception of squats done on the smith machine if I have no spotter.

I sometimes feel I'm missing/overlooking something though. Thoughts?

the only thing missins is a hip dominant unilateral movemet but you've covered everything

gruesome said:
what exactly is the routine?
I'm not worrying about posting sets & reps. In general they are roughly 4-5sets, 10-12, 8, 6, 4, 4 except for dips & chins which are to failure each set - chins usually I can manage 10, 8, 6, 6, dips 12, 10, 8.

I'm more thinking I'm missing hitting a particular bodypart somewhere.

BabyPhenom said:
the only thing missins is a hip dominant unilateral movemet but you've covered everything
"hip dominant unilateral movement" Damn - sounds impressive but what the heck are you talking about? Give me an example?

How about Deadlifts and Ab work? Those look to be missing.

Yeah you have no ab work. For grappling you need to build a strong core. You also definetly should have deadlift in there.

Wolverine
///

I've left out the ab work as I do su's/crunches etc during judo training & I figure I indirectly train em with the above routine anyway.

Same thing with grips, really. I COULD include some wrist curls or hammer curls but I dunno if it's be worthwhile.

I did think of deads, but I dunno what I'd get from 'em that I dont get from squats & cleans. Maybe for shits & giggles I'll do some deads instead of squats or cleans once in a while...

... you've all got me thinking though.....

I bought a Nike Hand Grip Gel today. Anybody know if these things are any good? I had a gift certificate and it was only like 10 bucks so I figured I'd give it a shot.

LCDforMe said:
I bought a Nike Hand Grip Gel today. Anybody know if these things are any good? I had a gift certificate and it was only like 10 bucks so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Start your own darn thread....

judogido said:
Start your own darn thread....

Jajajajaja, that was sort of out of nowhere.

Only thing might (and I emphasize might) be needed is some deads. I don't know Olympic lifts so I don't know how well your power cleans are taking care of what deads would do. But looks like you have already considered it.

Also, add some wright to your chinups/ pullups. If you cannot handle a huge amount of weight to start, don't worry about it, just add a little. Maybe even mix it up and do some small sets with near max weight and the unweighted sets you do now for higher reps.

That is very interesting what you say about the one legged squats heping with uchi matas, I had never thought of that before and will have to give it a try (not sure if I will be able to balance it right away, it might take some practice).

judogido said:
I've left out the ab work as I do su's/crunches etc during judo training & I figure I indirectly train em with the above routine anyway.

Same thing with grips, really. I COULD include some wrist curls or hammer curls but I dunno if it's be worthwhile.

I did think of deads, but I dunno what I'd get from 'em that I dont get from squats & cleans. Maybe for shits & giggles I'll do some deads instead of squats or cleans once in a while...

... you've all got me thinking though.....

Like you said, you COULD include some wrist curls or hammer curls, but ... here:

You All Have Pussy Hands
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186742

Grip Training
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=291377

Do yourself a favor and taked heed to these two threads made by a certified grip monster. :D

judogido said:
I'm not worrying about posting sets & reps. In general they are roughly 4-5sets, 10-12, 8, 6, 4, 4 except for dips & chins which are to failure each set - chins usually I can manage 10, 8, 6, 6, dips 12, 10, 8.

I'm more thinking I'm missing hitting a particular bodypart somewhere.

Not what I asked for. Thats not a routine, its a list of exercises. Is there a split? or you do all that everytime you workout?

gruesome said:
Not what I asked for. Thats not a routine, its a list of exercises. Is there a split? or you do all that everytime you workout?
Ah, now I gotcha. I do the whole lot on one day, once/week so far, but extending to 2x week shortly, although depending on my judo workload, I may only have the energy for 1x week.:wink:

2x week will give me some ability to include a greater range of exercises.

muerteverde said:
Only thing might (and I emphasize might) be needed is some deads. I don't know Olympic lifts so I don't know how well your power cleans are taking care of what deads would do. But looks like you have already considered it.
I cannot lift anywhere near as much weight on cleans than I could on deads. I think deads would probably be one of the first "extra" exercises I would consider, maybe as mentioned replacing cleans or squats with it.[/QUOTE]
muerteverde said:
Also, add some wright to your chinups/ pullups. If you cannot handle a huge amount of weight to start, don't worry about it, just add a little. Maybe even mix it up and do some small sets with near max weight and the unweighted sets you do now for higher reps.
At the moment I can handle reps of 10, 8 & 6. I do the pullups full range too, all the way down to full arm extension so it is very hard already. Once I get stronger here and can do something like 10, 10, 8 I'll start adding weight.
muerteverde said:
That is very interesting what you say about the one legged squats heping with uchi matas, I had never thought of that before and will have to give it a try (not sure if I will be able to balance it right away, it might take some practice).
It's awesome. Your ankles/calves work overtime trying to stabilise and it burn like hell. Great for the uchimata balance (or really any sweeping technique where you balance on one leg).

Mr.Maximal said:
exit the smith machine, enter the power rack.
I hate the smith machine, unfortunately oe of the gyms I visit has not freeweight squat machines only cable pieces of shit for fat people to pretend they are actually working out.

AB work.

Your abs are a very important point in any hip throw, they are what makes the kake possible. Crunches are good for endurance, but they won't get you that max ab strength that makes the difference between a throw and a mere attack.

And do some grip work on one of your off days. Good exercise selection though. Me like the one legged squats thingie. will incorporate that. Do you do them flat footed or on the ball of the foot?

Noskill said:
AB work.

Your abs are a very important point in any hip throw, they are what makes the kake possible. Crunches are good for endurance, but they won't get you that max ab strength that makes the difference between a throw and a mere attack.

And do some grip work on one of your off days. Good exercise selection though. Me like the one legged squats thingie. will incorporate that. Do you do them flat footed or on the ball of the foot?
Flat footed. I guess you could try and arch up at the top of the movement & go onto the ball of your foot- but it is very hard to maintain balance carrying 2x dumbells.

The dumbells should be lightish weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back