Missed opportunity, Jones/Gus

JBM150

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I can't stop thinking about this fight, how good it was, how it was the movie Rocky but in real life. Their has been so much discussion on the fight and the build up to the sequel is going to be insane. But...

...imagine if Jones/Gustafsson had been on Fox! Could it have been Griffin/Bonnar all over again, with people calling each other to tune in to check out the insanity on TV? Did the UFC miss out on the moment that would have taken them to the next level of 'becoming mainstream?'

Would they have the balls to try it for the rematch? To me it's lightning in a bottle and they'd most likely fall flat on their face but you never know....

I can't stop thinking about this fight, how good it was, how it was the movie Rocky but in real life. Their has been so much discussion on the fight and the build up to the sequel is going to be insane. But...

...imagine if Jones/Gustafsson had been on Fox! Could it have been Griffin/Bonnar all over again, with people calling each other to tune in to check out the insanity on TV? Did the UFC miss out on the moment that would have taken them to the next level of 'becoming mainstream?'

Would they have the balls to try it for the rematch? To me it's lightning in a bottle and they'd most likely fall flat on their face but you never know....

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/rocky-rocky-rocky-2564953/

Beat you to the punch.

That would have been great. Maybe the next one should be on Fox!

No way, no how.

This rematch will be one of the biggest selling matches they can put on right now and there is no way that the UFC will risk losing all dem PPV dollaz by putting it on Fox.

I think the UFC will eventually move on to putting bigger matches on Fox, but not for a while. Only once they've truly built up their brand/viewership on Fox, and even then, they'll probably always put the biggest matches on PPV... I mean, why wouldn't you?

As it stands, they're using Fox in exactly the right way, IMO. Bringing attention to lesser known fighters, particularly champs like MM, then moving them over to PPV once people know them well enough to want to pay for them.

Rematches of great fights rarely live up to the original.

Back