Missed Opportunity by the UFC

Apharmd

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
After this fight, the logical post-fight scene was Cain Velasquez challenging Jon Jones for a superfight at HW. Before tonight I wasn't convinced but this is the fight to make, better than Velasquez/Werdum or any other fight at HW. It's got a compelling story and I think it'd be a very close fight.

There's nothing logical about that.

Jones has contenders in his weight class.

Cain has been injured and Werdum has waited forever for his shot.

No wheelchair ramps to enter the cage.

Cain isn't even the undisputed champion in his own division.

It would be a stupid call-out.

There's nothing logical about that.

Jones has contenders in his weight class.

Cain has been injured and Werdum has waited forever for his shot.

100% agree with this. Sorry TS but your scenario sounds like a WWE drama scene where the jaded team mate wants to avenge his team mate's loss.....let's do this! No thanks. Let's watch the fights that are deserved by the contenders and interim champ in place.

Rumble and Gus. One of which gave Jones a royal beating. LHW is one of the few divisions that has actually good matchups to be made with fighters in their primes. Not since Tito and Chuck or Fedor and Nog/CC man. Why would anyone want to throw that away?

Really TS?

Also nothing we've seen from Cain indicates t hat he's ready for a shot at Jon Jones. I think Jon Jones proved tonight that the HW division is really weak.

the logical...<cut>

daa7e678f2d116b5350466595d98f1c3.jpg

1. They were running out of time.

2. Cain would have been injured halfway through the callout.

Cain/Jones is about as certain as Silva/GSP

or Rousey/Cyborg

It ain't gonna happen.

Also nothing we've seen from Cain indicates t hat he's ready for a shot at Jon Jones. I think Jon Jones proved tonight that the HW division is really weak.

TS has a stupid idea, but he did say at HW. Not saying Jones couldn't win at HW, but LHW Cormier is different than HW Cormier. The cut does affect each man.

Wouldn't mind seeing Jon fight at HW and would not be surprised to see him do really well.

We can't afford to hold up both titles until 2023. I figure Cain will be healthy enough to fight Werdum by late 2018 then he'll go through another litany of injuries caused by that fight until the summer of 2023 when he might be healthy enough to fight Jones.

I was actually expecting this. Maybe if Cain tells him that he'll meet him at a catch weight of 225. At this time, Cain probably needs to concentrate more on Werdum.

If you book that fight too soon it will kill a division. How does the heavweight division look if Jones beats Velasquez? Or vice versa.

Back