Misconceptions about speed.

cry me a river. you came on a perfectly legit thread being a prick. so if you can't handle it pull your skirt up and fuck right off.

I was just pointing out your misrepresentation as well as your habit of starting threads “ i am so much smarter than you’ll”.

You’re the one bent out of shape, name call and throwing a tantrum

older fighters of his style just lose volume, the speed isn't such a big drop off usually, but he doesn't put punches together like he used to, I honestly thought, with his style, he'd be shot by 33 or 34 but I'm going off of old gauges of when fighters like him fought in earlier eras. Thurman just isn't very good, he was a little better than I thought but not much. I never thought much of Manny's strategy, never thought he was cunning or smart or any of that. Great fighter, thrilling fighter, wish he'd retire now or maybe fight mayweather again, if he fought like that with mayweather, it would be entertaining but he'd still lose.
that's part of the reason i think he has lost some of the volume, he can't rely on his reflexes or speed to get away with big strings of punches and has to box more conventionally. stamina plays a big part as well obviously.

Last edited:
speed always plays a part. the reason why i made the post is reading a few posts and listening to one of the commentators, got me thinking how many people think that the boxer landing more is faster especially if they are shorter. please explain this to rocky marciano.

I get what you're saying but you can't compare Rocky to Pacman. Rock would hit guys everywhere. He'd hit you in the arms, shoulders, chest, etc, and he'd do it intentionally. He was a workhorse with power, stamina, very little technique, and a great chin, and he would just touch what he could when he could. Pacquiao is mostly headshots, with maybe like 20% of his punches going to the body.

So yes, they're both volume punchers and land a lot of punches, but one is very fast and the other very slow. Also, Rock was the exception and not the rule. For the most part, the faster guy does land more punches.

one thing manny does a lot is throws a left and doesn't turn into it, and then slams a right from that compromised position, it doesn't look right, but it works and catched a lot of good fighters by surprise. what can we say, we're talking about a guy who probably had very limited teaching in those crucial formative years and developed a lot of his own bodymechanics that work for him, probably wouldn't work for anyone else.

Well he used to just have a left hand until El Terrible got ahold of him. He worked hard to develop that awkward right. And you're right, probably not a lot of other guys could pull his style off.

i understand that but a guy who doesn't finish people doesn't have a lot of power to me. He had some stoppages in his prime against delahoya at the ww class where it was more him just beating on a defenseless foe but he didn't hurt delahoya who had a great chin, he had the fluke kayo over hatton and then it was back to battering bigger men, he's no power puncher at these weights.Usually, when i see these knockdowns, it's pac landing those wierd punches from an angle where a guy would never expect it.
i think there is a lot to what your saying. his power was mostly so impressive due to his speed and ability to land cleanly from odd angles. he wasn't a truly dangerous puncher like duran, cervantes, zarate, zamora, or even someone like olivares.

I get what you're saying but you can't compare Rocky to Pacman. Rock would hit guys everywhere. He'd hit you in the arms, shoulders, chest, etc, and he'd do it intentionally. He was a workhorse with power, stamina, very little technique, and a great chin, and he would just touch what he could when he could. Pacquiao is mostly headshots, with maybe like 20% of his punches going to the body.

So yes, they're both volume punchers and land a lot of punches, but one is very fast and the other very slow. Also, Rock was the exception and not the rule. For the most part, the faster guy does land more punches.
i'm not comparing marciano to pacquiao at all. just using him as an example of someone that was shorter, slower and consistently landed on his opponents. it was a point that reach and speed isn't everything in boxing.

Well he used to just have a left hand until El Terrible got ahold of him. He worked hard to develop that awkward right. And you're right, probably not a lot of other guys could pull his style off.
what did terible do to him to change his left hand?

what did terible do to him to change his left hand?

He whooped his ass. After the Morales fight, he started working really hard on his right because he and Freddie Roach realized that he couldn't be one-handed anymore. When Pacquiao beat Barrera, he did it with jabs and straight lefts. He really couldn't punch with his right. Morales saw that and took advantage.

i'm not comparing marciano to pacquiao at all. just using him as an example of someone that was shorter, slower and consistently landed on his opponents. it was a point that reach and speed isn't everything in boxing.

I get what you're saying but Pacquiao has never been the slower guy in the ring. Mayweather might've matched him in speed, but he wasn't faster. I understand you're making the argument that you don't have to have a reach advantage and be faster to land more punches, but Pacquiao isn't really the guy to use as an example since he's only been matched in speed once.

For me it was footwork.

One of the biggest mistakes a taller fighter can make is thinking they cant be hit if they lean or step back.

You cant do that shit vs a veteran like Manny who knows how to beat taller longer opponents.

He TKO'd Matthysse a year ago.

Manny was never a huge one punch guy but he'd overwhelm guys. I think his stamina and cautiousness since JMM 4 has resulted in fewer KOs. He certainly still has the power to get guys attention and back them up pretty regularly.
Matthysse is sort of broken though and has been since Postol broke his face. Been gunshy ever since that fight.

I didn't really see classic Pac footwork and angles really. There were flashes of speed for sure. I think he just pressed Thurman, who didn't have the firepower to turn it around.

Back