Misconception of BJ Penn’s gas tank

RiotWyatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
When fighting at LW, he never gassed. He went the distance 5 times at that weight and although he wasn’t able to keep up with Edgar in the rematch, he didn’t gas.

He went to the 4th round against Florian and was still fresh. Took him down and choked him out.

He went to the 5th round against Diego and was still fresh. Put him away.

Finished Sherk and Gomi late in the third round, still not gassed.

BJ has only ever gassed from fighting big WWs. So no, he would not gas against today’s LWs.

There was a clear cardio disparity in the second uno fight, clearly took a couple of rounds off, I think he should have definitely won 3-2 and also because of at least one 10-8 round.

He was never an elite cardio guy like Edgar or Diego. If a guy at 155 found a way to tire him he would be up against it.

Yes GSP was bigger but his gameplan in the second fight was perfect, just wrestle with him, don’t stress over whether you get the takedown or not.

That said he gets a bad rap, he was always in elite level prestige or championship fights in his prime. His cardio was always better than the majority of prelim fighters and at least as good as a lot of main card fighters like Ellenberger. Even now McGregor is a similar level for a championship level fighter.

Man he clearly gassed in the second Edgar fight.

I would say he lacks the ability to dig deep when the opponent offers resistance. I never seen BJ come back from any adversity.

All I know is Penn had a better gas tank than that Irish fellow what's his name.

There was a clear cardio disparity in the second uno fight, clearly took a couple of rounds off, I think he should have definitely won 3-2 and also because of at least one 10-8 round.

He was never an elite cardio guy like Edgar or Diego. If a guy at 155 found a way to tire him he would be up against it.

Yes GSP was bigger but his gameplan in the second fight was perfect, just wrestle with him, don’t stress over whether you get the takedown or not.

That said he gets a bad rap, he was always in elite level prestige or championship fights in his prime. His cardio was always better than the majority of prelim fighters and at least as good as a lot of main card fighters like Ellenberger. Even now McGregor is a similar level for a championship level fighter.

He was in elite level fights from day one pretty much. Started his MMA career in the UFC, basically fought no low level guys except maybe 3. Fought for his first title in his 4th career fight ( a fight he should have won) and had 11 more title fights throughout his career. Fought guys all the way from HW to FW and did all this for fun pretty much, he didn't need the money.

BJ was a mad man who never really took his career seriously and still managed to accomplish some incrediable things. The man is a legend and should be given the respect he deserves by the newer fans that weren't around when he was doing his thing.

I would say he lacks the ability to dig deep when the opponent offers resistance. I never seen BJ come back from any adversity.
BJ realistically lost the 2nd round vs Gomi and was fading...

He gassed at LW against Pulver in their first fight, but it was his 4th career fight. That being said, he had a good gas tank at LW after that fight.

I was under the impression that most people agreed he had a good tank at lightweight

His cardio was clearly at its best at LW, and with the Marinovich Brothers.

BJ realistically lost the 2nd round vs Gomi and was fading...
Are you sure? I haven't seen that fight in a long time but I remember he busted Gomi's house by the second round. If anything Gomi was drowning as well.

Are you sure? I haven't seen that fight in a long time but I remember he busted Gomi's house by the second round. If anything Gomi was drowning as well.
IIRC, I had BJ winning the 1st Rd vs Gomi, then realistically losing the 2nd Rd & the momentum (with Gomi stuffind TDs and connecting with jabz).. Then BJ took him down pretty quickly in the 3rd and got the RNC

When fighting at LW, he never gassed. He went the distance 5 times at that weight and although he wasn’t able to keep up with Edgar in the rematch, he didn’t gas.

He went to the 4th round against Florian and was still fresh. Took him down and choked him out.

BJ has only ever gassed from fighting big WWs. So no, he would not gas against today’s LWs.
Wow this thread some bullshit. He's the best first round fighter of all time then he falls off a cliff. Hes lazy, eats like shit, womanizes and former editor of bjpenn.com said hes been a coke head since 16. "Motivated Penn" is as legit as "Sea-level Cain." Not as obvious as Conor's but of course BJ had cardio problems. How many times did people ask how good would BJ be if he was trained and motivated? Over a million? "There are 3 things I care about. Food. Women. And Fighting. In that order." - BJ Penn

<This7>
Damn straight.
He was in elite level fights from day one pretty much. Started his MMA career in the UFC, basically fought no low level guys except maybe 3. Fought for his first title in his 4th career fight ( a fight he should have won) and had 11 more title fights throughout his career. Fought guys all the way from HW to FW and did all this for fun pretty much, he didn't need the money.

BJ was a mad man who never really took his career seriously and still managed to accomplish some incrediable things. The man is a legend and should be given the respect he deserves by the newer fans that weren't around when he was doing his thing.

Wow this thread some bullshit. He's the best first round fighter of all time then he falls off a cliff. Hes lazy, eats like shit, womanizes and former editor of bjpenn.com said hes been a coke head since 16. "Motivated Penn" is as legit as "Sea-level Cain." Not as obvious as Conor's but of course BJ had cardio problems. How many times did people ask how good would BJ be if he was trained and motivated? Over a million? "There are 3 things I care about. Food. Women. And Fighting. In that order." - BJ Penn
penn is just weird, in a lot of ways.

when he first started off with jiu jitsu, he was obsessed. he did nothing but train, all day, every day. he was supremely talented, but the reason he got his black belt in less than 4 years wasn't just due to his talent, but also due to the fact that at the time, he lived jiu jitsu. then he got into mma and trained with frank shamrock, who again said they were working like maniacs. shramrock would show him a technique, and penn would drill it 700 times that day. that's no joke, it takes a lot of effort to train like that. he was insanely focused on getting better, and again, went all in with training.

we all know he mellowed out later on, but i don't know if calling him lazy is fair. dude put in the time, at least when he was starting off. considering who he fought right off the bat and how he did in those fights... not much we can criticise there. his biggest issue was his obsession with moving up in weight. by today's standards, he was a natural featherweight, probably a small one, at that. when he fought at 155, he probably weighed about 155. he was tiny... and yet he moved to 170, then to 185, then to fucking heavyweight. imagine holloway fighting a heavyweight. it's insane! and he lost a close split decision to machida, man. you don't do that on talent alone.

i have no idea what to say about womanizing. does it have any relevance to him as a fighter? i mean, all men want a bunch of women. are we going to pretend that we don't enjoy having sex with hot chicks?

as for the coke, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did it. rich kid that got famous for fighting, of course he did it. but a coke habit? since 16? i don't know if doing blow regularly goes hand in hand with being a world class athlete, and he certainly was that, at least for stretches of his career. so that's probably a bit of a hyperbole on the part of the editor.

other than that, he was a complete and utter disappointment.

thanks for reminding us.

Back