Mir's all time status?

such a silly premise, forehead slap

one guy has a far more accomplished record, and yet you want to give it to a guy who held a title, at a time when the competition was far worse and the second time when it was an interim title.

When a title fight is given, merit is only partly factored and popularity is hugely factored in. Mir was on the brink of getting cut, but then he beat a high powered noob in Brock in his second mma fight. that gave him the interim shot at NOG

How can you compare that to Werdum, who beat the consensus number one, has far more top ten wins and far less embarrassing losses?

Is mma a popularity contest? is that what leaves a status or legacy? no thanks, that's for teenage girls

Actually its not silly at all--thats why they have these belts. The Fedor victory was a great accomplishment, but let's be honest, Japan Fedor and America Fedor were two different people.

Maybe top five. Definitely ahead of Couture.

Frank Mir: 16-8

Titles: UFC HW Championship, Interim UFC HW Championship

Notable Wins: Big Nog 2x, Lesnar, Sylvia, Cro Cop, Kongo, Nelson

Randy: 13-4

Titles: UFC HW Championship 3x(3 defenses)

Notable Wins: Pedro Rizzo 2x, Tim Sylvia, Kevin Randleman, Vitor Belfort, Mo Smith, Gonzaga

I'd say its close and not a definite either way.

Champ of what? Dark ages UFC when Pride was going on?

EDIT: I guess we better get Konrad in the conversation.. He was an undefeated champion.

LOL, if Randy is a Dark Ages champ, what does that make Barnett and Mir? Awesome logic...

Could have been greater if it wasn't for the motorcycle accident and his gameplans.

Mir definitely isnt the greatest HW but in terms or memorability he is up there. He is one of the few fighters who have broken limbs with submissions.

LOL, if Randy is a Dark Ages champ, what does that make Barnett and Mir? Awesome logic...

Randy is a hard one, because his most impressive victories (Tito, Chuck, Vitor) are in a different weight class.

Randy is a hard one, because his most impressive victories (Tito, Chuck, Vitor) are in a different weight class.

Rizzo, Sylvia, and the first Vitor fight were at HW and on par with those wins imo

The disclaimer is by no means am I saying he's the HW GOAT. Fedor has that on lockdown.

There was a point in time where UFC had 3 top HW's: AA, Mir and Sylvia.

Pride had their 3: Cro Cop, Nogueira and Fedor.

We didn't get to see Fedor or AA vs. Mir, but he fought Cro Cop, Sylvia and Big Nog 2X's and emphatically beat them, which earned him 2 Championships along the way.

He does have some "what the hell..." losses like Pe De Pano, Freeman and Vera.

Those aside, he has huge wins and the guy has been top 10 for such a long time.

Where does his status reach in the all time HW's spot?

I think he may be top 10.

An awful slow fighter that got lucky here and there.His best wins are Nog and Lesnar where he got destroyed in the rematch because it were fluke wins.No wonder Carwin,Lesnar,JDS,Nog,Barnett dismantled him with ease.

He must be one of the most overrated fighters on sherdog history.

An awful slow fighter that got lucky here and there.His best wins are Nog and Lesnar where he got destroyed in the rematch because it were fluke wins.No wonder Carwin,Lesnar,JDS,Nog,Barnett dismantled him with ease.

He must be one of the most overrated fighters on sherdog history.

Inb4 Nog Broken arm

His ego denied him true greatness. Over confident and lacks the ability to acknowledge his oppenents abilities when put in bad spots has lost him way to many fights. Besides Fedor, I will put Mir as one of the most well rounded fights in MMA.

Mir definitely isn't the greatest HW but in terms or memorability he is up there. He is one of the few fighters who have broken limbs with submissions.

That's where I think this argument gets complicated. Pure credentials, Mir is in the 7-10 range, but as far as impact on the sport, I think you have to put him higher. He's a smart promoter who consistently draws good audiences, and has highlight-reel submission finishes that will be played over and over for a long time.

I think he is getting a little bit downplayed because of the competition he has faced, which is odd since some of the people here are glamorizing retired fighters who also faced undeveloped competition.

Mir seems stuck between the old guys and the current guys. He is nowhere near his prime, his chin is suspect, but he is still a dangerous fighter and he's held his own during the evolution of MMA far better than most guys.

Frank Mir: 16-8

Titles: UFC HW Championship, Interim UFC HW Championship

Notable Wins: Big Nog 2x, Lesnar, Sylvia, Cro Cop, Kongo, Nelson

Randy: 13-4

Titles: UFC HW Championship 3x(3 defenses)

Notable Wins: Pedro Rizzo 2x, Tim Sylvia, Kevin Randleman, Vitor Belfort, Mo Smith, Gonzaga

I'd say its close and not a definite either way.

I guess. I would definitely have him ahead comfortably if he did drop three in a row.....

Perennial top 5, folds under pressure.

Still p4p best strawberry picker in the ufc.

:icon_lol:

Uhhhh Barnett went to Pride, and then Sf.. Mir has been at HW non-stop for what? 12 years?

I am not really including Couture's last title run as much as I should I guess, when he built Sylvia and Gonzaga.. It was pretty short lived, and After the dark ages (97-03/4) Randy was a 205 fighter in my eyes.

Out of the top 5, but a solid HW.

Fedor
Nog
Randy
Cro Cop
Barnett
Werdum
Timmeh
Mir
Arlovski

Back