Mir's all time status?

L0ki

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The disclaimer is by no means am I saying he's the HW GOAT. Fedor has that on lockdown.

There was a point in time where UFC had 3 top HW's: AA, Mir and Sylvia.

Pride had their 3: Cro Cop, Nogueira and Fedor.

We didn't get to see Fedor or AA vs. Mir, but he fought Cro Cop, Sylvia and Big Nog 2X's and emphatically beat them, which earned him 2 Championships along the way.

He does have some "what the hell..." losses like Pe De Pano, Freeman and Vera.

Those aside, he has huge wins and the guy has been top 10 for such a long time.

Where does his status reach in the all time HW's spot?

I think he may be top 10.

One of the greatest hws of all time for sure and a guy with a real deal skill set. He has always been his own worst enemy but anyone who denies that he is one of the best hws in MMA's short history is full of it.

nggzl.gif

His only win worth mentioning is a TKO over Nog

If he never had the accident he could have been the guy instead of Fedor, too bad he never fully realized his full potential...

Top 5-10 HW all time

His only win worth mentioning is a TKO over Nog

First person to KO/finish Big Nog and first person to submit him. Won HW and Interim HW belt. Most fights, wins, and submissions in the UFC HW division. He's definitely somewhere in the 10-8 spot.

Top 5-7. The last few losses have hurt him a bit. If he only stayed the fuck away from the cage wall he could have been top 3.

On top of my head, and in no particular order, the top 10 would be Fedor, Big Nog, Cro Cop, Mir, Couture, JDS, Cain, AA, Sylvia, and last spot I'm not sure, maybe Barnett or Coleman.

There are plenty of fighters who maybe could or did beat Mir, but who is really ahead of Mir in terms of accomplishment?

UFC guys like Carwin and Lesnar didn't achieve as much as Mir, despite physical ability.

The only guys I'd really consider as possibly ahead of him in terms of accomplishment are Fedor, Nogueira, Barnett, Cro Cop, Couture, and soon JDS and Cain.

That said, modern MMA isn't very old, so expect Mir to be eclipsed by more in relatively short order.

Easily Top 10 at HW. And wehen it comes to the most hated list he probably takes the number one spot at HW. But Schaub is getting there.

It sucks that he had that terrible accident. He would probably be the guy with the most title defenses at HW right now.

Top 10:

Fedor
Big Nog
Cro Cop
JDS
Cain V
Barnett
Couture
Mir
Coleman
Vovchanchyn

Arlovski
Sylvia

Mir stands right above Maurice Smith.

He's a former champ. Can't knock that.

There are plenty of fighters who maybe could or did beat Mir, but who is really ahead of Mir in terms of accomplishment?

UFC guys like Carwin and Lesnar didn't achieve as much as Mir, despite physical ability.

The only guys I'd really consider as possibly ahead of him in terms of accomplishment are Fedor, Nogueira, Barnett, Cro Cop, Couture, and soon JDS and Cain.

That said, modern MMA isn't very old, so expect Mir to be eclipsed by more in relatively short order.

I like all of your points.

The one thing I'd add is that some of his 'wtf' losses came during periods where he had specific issues. I'd never expect him to lose to Vera in any other form than returning from huge injury after long layoff.

I do think that he hasn't quite been able to keep up with the game (not sure he was ever as athletic as a JDS or Cain) so I do think more guys will have better careers than his in future. Still, I'm a fan - he's a great fighter and a funny guy.

If he never had the accident he could have been the guy instead of Fedor, too bad he never fully realized his full potential...

Top 5-10 HW all time

Dude got stopped by Ian Freeman before his accident.

I hope he's at least cleared for his next fight!

When I was going through the same with some type of counterfeit crap, we did this also. You can say he's top 20 all time, but.. who am I to judge? Unless I was also an ex-fighter! This is Sherdog.com and sometimes you have to roll when the grass is greener! So hopefully he'll be back, if not, not our problem! Right guys!

He has great wins, no doubt. Dangerous guy. But he has so many crushing defeats.

Whenever i hear Frank Mir's name, i cant help but think "BROCK".

Back