Mir vs Werdum for HW Championship?!?

ProDG

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I would love to see Mir face Werdum. I don't mind Mir leapfrogging some guys to get this shot. I believe it will be very very competative on the ground. One could argue that it could be a stalemate on the ground because they are probably the two best submission grapplers in HW MMA history. Personally, I don't think both have great/good handspeed. Werdum has improved, especially with his composure in the boxing/kickboxing range range, and his striking in general has improved so much with Rafael; his counterstriking is on point. Subjectively, I think Werdum's striking is better than Mir's, especially because it's more diverse (more use of kicks), but relatively (as far as personal growth---before and after), Mir has made larger striking gains. Also, I think both can hit hard, but I think Mir may have the edge on punching power.

Mir is not my favorite heavyweight. I'm not his biggest fan...but I'm a fan. I'd love to see have have one more crack at that HW strap. I think he has the ability to beat Werdum. Would he be the favorite? I don't think so...but I think he has a decent shot at winning, so I think he should get that chance before his fighting carreer is up.

Just an afterthought: I think he has a better chance at beating Werdum than he does Velasquez.

I think Mir would have trouble with the knees and clinch of Werdum, most likely would get Ko'd or subbed in the 2nd. He has his hands full with Arlovski, but it is possible he is only1 fight away from a title shot the heavy weight division is that thin.

2 fights ago Mir was on a 4 fight losing streak, now fighting fot the title?

Werdum Cain 2 is a stupid match up

Cain vs. Mir makes sense now, enough with this stupid rematches

Very interesting but Mir even though has picked up some new skills is not Physically in his prime I wonder how his cardio and Werdoom has shown to have good cage skills, we may see upper cuts in the clinch against the cage.

Mirs boxing looks crisp I think he'd make Werdum buttscoot like the 2nd overeem fight

Mir is so far away from a title shot. Velasquez, Arlovski, Miocic, JDS, Overeem, and Rothwell are ahead of him in the queue.

I'd rather see this than the Cain rematch.

I want to see this fight before Mir retires. The fact that Werdum is champ doesnt matter to the fan in me. However i fear we wont get to see the grappling because Werdums striking has gotten so much better. I think Wedum doesn't take any chances and potentially finishs Mir on the feet in the clinch.

I've been thinking about this for the past few days. On one hand, it appears it could be an interesting grappling match. On the other, I am equally unsure the typical fan would find that interesting, and it appears both fighters have grown rather fond of their striking. If Mir is able to beat Arlovski, I would have no problem with this matchup.

I am a huge Stipe fan, and would prefer that he gets the title shot. But recent news indicates that Cain, is for some reason, the one getting the next TS. At this point I'm fine with anyone fighting for the title other than Cain.

Are people crazy here? Mir was on a four fight losing streak, three of which were KO/TKO's and the other a total domination.

Mir takes out a weakened bigfoot, gasses in one minute against Duffee after playing rock em sock em and that gives him a title shot?

If Frank Mir can get another win over someone in the top 6 then yeah a title shot wouldn't be outrageous. Especially if Mir gets a win over Arlovski ( i believe there still fighting). Styles make fights and Mir vs Werdum on the ground would be amazing to watch.

Are people crazy here? Mir was on a four fight losing streak, three of which were KO/TKO's and the other a total domination.

Mir takes out a weakened bigfoot, gasses in one minute against Duffee after playing rock em sock em and that gives him a title shot?
He went 3 rounds with DC, 3 with Ecoreem, and got tko'd by Barnett and JDS. 2 decisions 2 tkos. All top 5 competition.

He took time off snd has looked great since. AA has lost to a LHW and his great UFC comeback includes controversial win over Big Brown, the same bigfoot Mir beat, and a fight where he played Rockem sockem with Travis Browne

He went 3 rounds with DC, 3 with Ecoreem, and got tko'd by Barnett and JDS. 2 decisions 2 tkos. All top 5 competition.

He took time off snd has looked great since. AA has lost to a LHW and his great UFC comeback includes controversial win over Big Brown, the same bigfoot Mir beat, and a fight where he played Rockem sockem with Travis Browne

Disagree on looking "great", throwing bar style against Duffee and gassing under a minute made it anyone's fight. Had that fight gone another round or two, we could have seen classic Mir. All I'm saying is give the guy another fight or two before we declare him a contender.

I'll give credit where it's due, but I don't see anything in Mir that we haven't seen before, the guy has always managed a comeback using the same tactics and people act like he's completely reborn.

I never considered AA either, Miocic is the clear number 1 and should have gotten the shot.

And sorry, but a major LOL at "controversial" against Browne. There was nothing wrong with that stoppage.

Scenario 1: Cain wins, JDS wins, Mir wins. Mir vs JDS next.
Scenario 2: Werdum wins, Miocic wins, Mir wins. Mir vs Cain next.

He needs at least one more win before title shot, but if he does it, I think it'll be a competitive fight for first two rounds.

Werdum TKO R3 or R4

Back