Minnesota

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by whopoopdinmycar, Sep 16, 2013.

1. whopoopdinmycar

whopoopdinmycar White Belt

Where do you train BJJ in Minnesota.? haven't see a lot of gyms here

2. CasualBJJ

CasualBJJ White Belt

Depends on where you are... There are definitely some good BJJ gyms.

The big BJJ/MMA gym is the Academy. Sherk, Nick Thompson trained there. It's quality instruction and relatively big classes. I trained there and liked it; the only negative is the potentially long drive, depending on where you live.

Gracie Barra is closer to Minneapolis, and it's also a quality gym. It's smaller and friendlier. There are about five purple belts, three-four brown belts, and one black belt there, but the classes are mostly taught by brown belts, which might or might not matter to you.

I would stay away from Warrior's Cove (not to offend anyone, just a personal preference) and from some of the TKD schools starting to teach BJJ.

There also is a place called the Cellar that might be worth checking out, and there are many others... Google Maps is your friend. :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  3. Peruvian Perry**

Peruvian Perry** Orange Belt

Warrior's Cove isn't bad, it's just different. It's a Rickson Affiliate so it's very basic, but it's very good. Some of the guys there that I've rolled with have great fundamentals. Only issues is Dave, but that's another story.

4. infantry317

infantry317 White Belt

A new school is M-Theory headed by Ishmael Bentley (formerly @ The Academy). It isn't showing up on google maps yet 5700 W.36 St, Minneapolis (St. Louis Park). Nice school, I just joined. It's very close to Gracie Barra.

I'd second on WC's fundamentals, legit. They do very well in competition, especially sub-only. They do have two belts systems, Shinbudo MMA & Rickson Jiu-Jitsu (which is graded very old school, no quick belts).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013