Minnesota

Depends on where you are... There are definitely some good BJJ gyms.

The big BJJ/MMA gym is the Academy. Sherk, Nick Thompson trained there. It's quality instruction and relatively big classes. I trained there and liked it; the only negative is the potentially long drive, depending on where you live.

Gracie Barra is closer to Minneapolis, and it's also a quality gym. It's smaller and friendlier. There are about five purple belts, three-four brown belts, and one black belt there, but the classes are mostly taught by brown belts, which might or might not matter to you.

I would stay away from Warrior's Cove (not to offend anyone, just a personal preference) and from some of the TKD schools starting to teach BJJ.

There also is a place called the Cellar that might be worth checking out, and there are many others... Google Maps is your friend. :)

Last edited:
Warrior's Cove isn't bad, it's just different. It's a Rickson Affiliate so it's very basic, but it's very good. Some of the guys there that I've rolled with have great fundamentals. Only issues is Dave, but that's another story.

A new school is M-Theory headed by Ishmael Bentley (formerly @ The Academy). It isn't showing up on google maps yet 5700 W.36 St, Minneapolis (St. Louis Park). Nice school, I just joined. It's very close to Gracie Barra.

I'd second on WC's fundamentals, legit. They do very well in competition, especially sub-only. They do have two belts systems, Shinbudo MMA & Rickson Jiu-Jitsu (which is graded very old school, no quick belts).

Last edited:
Back