Crime Minneapolis bracing for unrest (UPDATE: Chauvin Found Guilty)

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...e4d904-9f9e-11eb-b7a8-014b14aeb9e4_story.html

Let's keep the protest and potential riot news here for this thread, as it feels a separate chapter.

Excerpts from above article, not full thing-

MINNEAPOLIS — Night after night, tear gas has hung like a cloud over the Sterling Square Apartments, just across the street from the Brooklyn Center Police Department, seeping through the walls and air vents like an invisible predator.

The two-story apartment complex has been ground zero for demonstrations over the April 11 fatal shooting of 20-year-old Daunte Wright by a Brooklyn Center police officer. Residents have looked outside their windows as protesters clash with law enforcement officers who have used the chemical irritant as well as stun grenades and other less-lethal weapons to control the demonstrators.

The aggressive tactics have injured dozens of protesters and journalists and sent dangerous fumes and projectiles into the adjacent apartments, leaving residents sick and fearful in what many describe as a war zone. The tenants, many of them low-income and Black, have reported rashes and nosebleeds and say they are unable to sleep because of the fumes and noise.

Two Minnesota National Guard members were injured when someone fired on a security team made up of troops and the Minneapolis Police Department in a drive-by shooting early Sunday. There were no serious injuries, according to the Guard’s leader, Maj. Gen. Shawn Manke, but he said the incident “highlights the volatility and tension in our communities right now.”

Last week, thousands of Minnesota National Guard troops began deploying throughout the city, taking up armed positions along commercial corridors and in residential neighborhoods alongside police officers as part of what city and state officials describe as a deterrent to potential looting and violence in response to the Chauvin verdict.

The unprecedented level of security includes more than 3,000 National Guard troops and at least 1,100 officers from public safety agencies across the state as part of a joint effort known as Operation Safety Net. The massive show of force, officials say, is aimed at preventing a repeat of the violence that erupted across the city last summer, including the burning of a police station and an estimated $350 million in damage to buildings and businesses.

But the wartime posture has alarmed some residents and elected officials who have repeatedly complained in recent weeks that the heavily militarized approach ignores the community’s trauma over the events of last summer, when mostly peaceful protesters ((ha. they're still unironically using this line)) were tear-gassed and injured by police action. Many elected officials think that aggressive response resulted in the subsequent violence and destruction, lessons that some believe were ignored in Brooklyn Center.

Keynan initially was disheartened last week when he saw National Guard troops in predominantly White commercial districts. But his dismay turned to relief when soldiers arrived in Cedar-Riverside on Friday — a repositioning that came after a city council member complained that the area had been overlooked. Armed troops walked the neighborhood, occasionally popping into stores to greet people who were fasting as part of the month-long observation of Ramadan. Other soldiers hung out in Humvees, with armored vehicles parked nearby.

“When I see the police and when I see the military, I feel comfortable,” said Keynan, as two troops in combat fatigues walked past his store. “I at least feel like they will protect our neighborhood.”

But Keynan said local business owners are still terrified that the Chauvin verdict could trigger the “worst” violence yet in the Twin Cities region. He and others are not convinced that troops will stick around, leaving merchants on their own again.

“If [Chauvin] gets off, everything will be upside down,” Keynan said, adding that the Somali American community also fears possible retaliation from far-right extremist groups, should the ex-officer be convicted. “Everyone is very nervous, because we just don’t know what is going to be happening.”

imrs.php

I cant even buy my fave popcorn because covid to watch it unfold :(

They expecting something today, or more realistically at the end of the week?

I don't like the word unrest especially in this context. I know the definition includes agitation and public demonstration, but it still sounds too mild and not something that needs to be braced for. Minneapolis bracing for fuckin madness is more fitting.

They expecting something today, or more realistically at the end of the week?

Just getting ready in case I feel. Even Chicago activated 120 national guardsmembers from the Riot division.

Having a show of force before things get going I think to deter some from coming out if things go south. Rather than once things are already getting wild, suddenly a bunch of "troops" show up and it's an agitating factor.

The amount of hoping for rioting from those on the right has been strange to say the least.

Conversely, the amount of rage posting at the sight of happy black people in the streets when Chauvin gets his guilty verdict should be interesting.

Whatever happens in some street block in Minneapolis or wherever, is gonna be exaggerated to make it seem like the whole city/country was on fire.
Portland is not even a city anymore if you believe Parler...Parls?

Just getting ready in case I feel. Even Chicago activated 120 national guardsmembers from the Riot division.

Having a show of force before things get going I think to deter some from coming out if things go south. Rather than once things are already getting wild, suddenly a bunch of "troops" show up and it's an agitating factor.
I think you’re right. A show of force does more as it’s easy to quell initial stuff. Once the cops retreat the rioters know they can win and more join. Making it harder to stop the rioting

I don't like the word unrest especially in this context. I know the definition includes agitation and public demonstration, but it still sounds too mild and not something that needs to be braced for. Minneapolis bracing for fuckin madness is more fitting.

I know you already know this...but that's damn sure not by accident.

If people want to act like uncivilized animals then you treat them as such. A person peacefully holding a sign doesn't need to get pelted with rubber bullets or knocked off of their feet with a water canon. Someone attempting to commit arson or be an opportunistic looter does.

The amount of hoping for rioting from those on the right has been strange to say the least.

Conversely, the amount of rage posting at the sight of happy black people in the streets when Chauvin gets his guilty verdict should be interesting.

Lol at "hoping for rioting". Only a complete imbecile would conclude that so not shocking that it entered your mind.

Lol at "hoping for rioting". Only a complete imbecile would conclude that so not shocking that it entered your mind.
Either you can't read the trial thread...or you aren't reading it, the amount of "these riots are gonna be hilarious" talk and "the BLM gon' riot no matter what cause that's what dem people do" is so overwhelming that you're either being obtuse or you should stop calling others imbeciles out of whatever modicum of shame you have.

The problem with issues this divisive and generally with making a single case symbolic of a larger issue is that most people on either side are less interested in justice than they are with their "team" winning. The irony being that this is lose/lose. A conviction won't bring Floyd back, and a not guilty verdict wont give Chauvin his life back.

At best we got a mixed bag of policy choices and some virtue signals that may help some people.

Meanwhile the backlash around either verdict is all but guaranteed even though no one can predict exactly what it will be.

Either you can't read the trial thread...or you aren't reading it, the amount of "these riots are gonna be hilarious" talk and "the BLM gon' riot no matter what cause that's what dem people do" is so overwhelming that you're either being obtuse or you should stop calling others imbeciles out of whatever modicum of shame you have.

I'm not reading that entire thread first of all so you have that correct. Secondly, you're a race baiting troll so it's difficult to take anything you say at face value. Third, BLM will riot, loot and steal because that's what they do. Those idiots don't actually care about solving social issues

I'm not reading that entire thread first of all so you have that correct. Secondly, you're a race baiting troll so it's difficult to take anything you say at face value. Third, BLM will riot, loot and steal because that's what they do. Those idiots don't actually care about solving social issues
"Nobody is saying what you say they are saying but I ain't reading shit regardless"

You're an idiot.

You brought up race, not me. You also just said BLM is just a bunch of criminals...which let's face it is just your cowardly way of saying what you think about black people.

Why don't you just condemn people who riot instead of this dumb racist trope bs idea that it's some majority of BLM supporters trying to burn down America?

Always the same shit with racists. "I'm cool with blacks until they stick up for themselves".

It's what most non-Democrats, non-affiliated voters, centralists and conservatives have come to expect from BLM and the liberal progressive community at large. The people within those groups may condemn or sympathize with the rioters to varying degrees but they all expect destruction, violence and general mayhem as an outcome if the rioters do not get the outcome they demand regardless of the law.

What's sad is that this Chauvin trial should have been about justice and the law pure and simple but the varying threats leveled around this trial as well as pressure from politicians and media sensationalists have tainted any possible outcome. There can be no real justice when the very real threat of violence and destruction hang on the court and the jury's outcome.

"Nobody is saying what you say they are saying but I ain't reading shit regardless"

You're an idiot.

You brought up race, not me. You also just said BLM is just a bunch of criminals...which let's face it is just your cowardly way of saying what you think about black people.

Why don't you just condemn people who riot instead of this dumb racist trope bs idea that it's some majority of BLM supporters trying to burn down America?

Always the same shit with racists. "I'm cool with blacks until they stick up for themselves".
Oh give it a rest already. Or have your mom get that 25th trimester abortion already. You’re really an obnoxious troll that calls everyone a racist.

It's what most non-Democrats, non-affiliated voters, centralists and conservatives have come to expect from BLM and the liberal progressive community at large. The people within those groups may condemn or sympathize with the rioters to varying degrees but they all expect destruction, violence and general mayhem as an outcome if the rioters do not get the outcome they demand regardless of the law.

What's sad is that this Chauvin trial should have been about justice and the law pure and simple but the varying threats leveled around this trial as well as pressure from politicians and media sensationalists have tainted any possible outcome. There can be no real justice when the very real threat of violence and destruction hang on the court and the jury's outcome.
Rioters should be arrested.

Back