Economy Minimum wage debate: States make their own increases (Post #340)

Should there be a federal minimum wage hike?

• Total voters
Eh I'm mixed on this. I don't see how someone living in Manhattan and someone living in North Dakota should have the same minimum wage. Not against it going up but it should be scaled based on cost of living in your region of the US.
So you think people living in black communities should have lower wages? Racist. -- Democrats being serious

There shouldn't be a minimum wage in the first place.

Nah, after watching a shit ton of Kitchen Nightmares the last 2 weeks I have to disagree. There's too many scumbag employers that take advantage of good people that can't stand up for themselves.

Nah, after watching a shit ton of Kitchen Nightmares the last 2 weeks I have to disagree. There's too many scumbag employers that take advantage of good people that can't stand up for themselves.
Can you please elaborate on that?

Good they voted no.

Why are the dems so eager to destroy small business?
I want to know why.

Can you please elaborate on that?

As silly as this sounds I've been listening to podcasts and Kitchen Nightmares as my background shit while working remotely. You see people that bust their ass nonstop, get their tips stolen, and get completely walked over by shitty, lazy, incompetent bosses that got where they are because of circumstance.

Eh I'm mixed on this. I don't see how someone living in Manhattan and someone living in North Dakota should have the same minimum wage. Not against it going up but it should be scaled based on cost of living in your region of the US.

Absolutely.
Why is that so hard for the dems to understand? Do they want everything in the USA to be priced the same? I don't get it. States and even cities are different. People can choose where they want to live.

Stop trying to impede on states right.

Minimum wage in AZ is $13, even places like Wal Mart and Target start at 15, unfortunately rent is ridiculous (like 1k for a 1b/1ba) and the housing market is laughable (not NY/Cali levels, but you're also not living in NY/Cali)

As silly as this sounds I've been listening to podcasts and Kitchen Nightmares as my background shit while working remotely. You see people that bust their ass nonstop, get their tips stolen, and get completely walked over by shitty, lazy, incompetent bosses that got where they are because of circumstance.
If they get their tips stolen they should press charges for theft i think.

Absolutely.
Why is that so hard for the dems to understand? Do they want everything in the USA to be priced the same? I don't get it. States and even cities are different. People can choose where they want to live.

I mean I get the spirit of it but there's zero practicality. Like do they seriously think Kansas and New Mexico are the same as Silicon Valley?

I mean I get the spirit of it but there's zero practicality. Like do they seriously think Kansas and New Mexico are the same as Silicon Valley?

I agree for sure except for the spirit thing.
Spirit to force small business to close and have nothing but chain business? Sounds like Hillary is involved.

I agree for sure except for the spirit thing.
Spirit to force small business to close and have nothing but chain business? Sounds like Hillary is involved.

Ugh I get you. Nobody's small business was "essential" but every fast food joint, grocery store, Walmart/Target, etc was. I can't imagine how many small businesses got completely fucked.

Why does the federal government have to stick its nose in something like this?
Why can’t each state study their own needs and have their own elected officials come up with the ideal figure?

$7.25? How can anyone live on that?
It hasn't gone up since 2009 and when you account for inflation it really hasn't increased since the 80's, apparently. It will be interesting to see if anyone pays a price at the ballot box over this but I doubt it. I think it's shameful.

$15 min wage is crazy. They should start with $10. A customer I work with is happy his daughter graduated college and is getting $18 an hour.

Good they voted no.

Why are the dems so eager to destroy small business?
I want to know why.
You could ask the same thing as to why republicans want to keep the working class poorer? And aren’t the republicans all about free market? Or does free market have to ensure the survival of small business? I’m all for small business and pay a little extra when I can to support small business, but there needs to Be rules in place to ensure workers are protected also.

Not all jobs are meant to live on. You don't get a job at Hotdog on a Stick with the hopes of buying a house and supporting a wife and two kids.

With that said, min wage should rise with inflation.
There's a metric fuckton of adults working a very wide array of jobs at minimum or barely above minimum wage for a very large number of reasons, almost none of them being that they just don't work hard enough. If you want to start a program that works on rooting out these reasons and helping these adults get better jobs, by all means hop to it. Mean time, no matter the reason these people are in these situations and leaving them to wither away in poverty is something America should be ashamed of.

RE: With that said, min wage should rise with inflation.
It hasn't gone up since 2009 and when you account for inflation it really hasn't increased since the 80's, apparently. It will be interesting to see if anyone pays a price at the ballot box over this but I doubt it. I think it's shameful.

That would just lead to nothing ever passing, no? Or I guess Republicans would still be able to pass stuff. The plan is good if you don't care about doing nothing, which is why it works for Manchin and Republicans but wouldn't work for progressives.

It wouldn't have anything to do with Republicans. Dems control the senate. It would mean the Biden administration would have to negotiate the same way with progressives that they do with Manchin.

That doesnt mean progressives will get everything they want. It could mean compromise. Such as a 12 dollar minimum wage. But that would be preferable to getting nothing.

Another thing they should be fighting for is getting rid of the means testing. As the bill sits now, 17 million less people are going to get covid checks than did under the Trump administration. That's political suicide, and it's embarrassing no one in congress is taking a hard stand against this. But that's what happens when the left doesn't actually fight back.

Absolutely.

kind of like how the feds justify their ongoing nationwide war on drugs with the “interstate commerce” clause. I’m guessing you arent in favor of that either?

Back