Mine America Good Again

The "I" stands for improvised. Home-made. Land-mines would simply be EDs. And I will have to read up on this. Land mines seem abhorrent for all the reasons listed already; mainly the unintended consequence of civilian casualties after hostilities have ended. I'd like to know 1) when and how often has the US employed them. I'm aware of claymore type mines in Vietnam, but I thought those were detonated by an operator rather than the indiscriminate step-on-me-and-boom type. Could be wrong. 2) Have there been technological advances that make them easier to remotely deactivate or remove?

You can set them up with trigger wire as well.
The latest generations of land minds do have limited time fuses and automatically deactivate, but you still have the same problem of indiscriminate casualties which could be friend or foe when they're deployed while they're active.

The other problem being even when they're not active, if they're not removed they can be salvaged by the enemy and the explosives re-purposed.
The US only used a single land mine in Afghanistan.

The modern ones are supposed to deactivate. But it is microchip controlled so can fail (the deactivation) And there's no way in hell they've got good estimate on the failure rates over time as they just haven't been deployed in any numbers. Really though its just too indiscriminate and stupid of a weapon. More than ten children just today were maimed or killed by mines. I bet if the US sets a bunch of mines for a week of activation to deny the enemy some area, then defeats them the next week and the fighting stops and there is peace, the US won't be sending their own troops to be walking around in the area with the 'deactivated' mines.

The US only used a single land mine in Afghanistan.

The modern ones are supposed to deactivate. But it is microchip controlled so can fail (the deactivation) And there's no way in hell they've got good estimate on the failure rates over time as they just haven't been deployed in any numbers. Really though its just too indiscriminate and stupid of a weapon. More than ten children just today were maimed or killed by mines. I bet if the US sets a bunch of mines for a week of activation to deny the enemy some area, then defeats them the next week and the fighting stops and there is peace, the US won't be sending their own troops to be walking around in the area with the 'deactivated' mines.
I bet you're right. They wouldn't go play in a minefield. That would be stupid.

Bring back mustardgas, too.
<Kpop775>
You know one of the reasons they’ve banned landmines is because they disproportionally killed civilians? Ever been to Croatia/Bosnia? A lot of places you still can’t walk because of the landmines placed during the Balkan war.
Getting half your leg blown off instead of a bullet in it tends to be problematic as well, from a humanitarian point of view.

Trump's like, I can't fuck her so who gives a fuck what Princess Diana thought about the issue?

Back