Mind blowing thought: why not practice proper defense against illegal techniques?

Why waste valuable time drilling against moves that aren't supposed to occur?

Easier said than done. Stuff like fence and shorts grabbing are things you can't really do too much about without opening yourself up. You can train to avoid shots to the back of the head but if your opponents keeps forcing your head into that position than you're still going to eat shots. Eye pokes are sneaky and can be thrown from a punch.

Just because you train a defense does not mean that the defense will work it just means that it MAY work sometimes. There is still a margin of error where serious injury can occur.

Besides many illegal blows would just lead to boring stops to fights.

Somehow i feel like lessening the likelihood of being hit by a debilitating technique, repeatedly out of a refs sight line is a smarter bet than relying on a warning, perfect pure intentions, point deduction as a deterrent, or your ability to recover even with a time out.

Why waste valuable time drilling against moves that aren't supposed to occur?

Because they happen every fight whether they are legal or not and they almost never result in a point deduction but very often it seems lead to a detached retina, a devastating ko, a fighter that never fully recovers from a groin shot, etc etc etc

The same reason baseball players don't practice trying to hit balls out of the strike zone. Part of the rules of the sport are that you don't have to swing at those pitches.

Bottom line is MMA is a sport with rules. Participants of the sport focus on how to best operate within the rules to achieve victory.

Fighters intentionally don't defend against knees to the head when they are "down" because they don't need to and they can focus on other things like getting up or going for a submission.

Somehow i feel like lessening the likelihood of being hit by a debilitating technique, repeatedly out of a refs sight line is a smarter bet than relying on a warning, perfect pure intentions, point deduction as a deterrent, or your ability to recover even with a time out.
Constantly trying to be aware of illegal shots will open you up to legal shots as well. Splitting focus is gonna negativity effect your ability to defend.

There is no good way to handle illegal blows. Even if everyone focused in the defense, it only takes the one getting through to change the course of the fight.

I agree with not exposing the back of your head actually. That’s just bad martial arts. Sometimes too you’ll see fights where the guy getting hit keeps turning his head causing the aggressor to hit him there, and usually the ref won’t call it. So in that scenario it often is let slide

But how do you consistently defend a Jones eye poke? You can’t. You can’t apply that to every illegal move

LOL

Hello? Don't leave the back of your head open to get punched.
source.gif

I forgot people on here are dumber than a box of rocks.
tumblr_mwjtk94R8q1somw7ho6_r1_1280.gif

Well, I think there must be a response historically to your question. Why did the sport move from no holds barred to a more regulated form of fighting?

Back