Millitary press has started to strain my neck

Rager Ivan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Well 3 weeks in a row now. this time its slightly worse. As far as I can tell my form is fine. when im leaning back to start off, my neck should be in line iwht my body right? Or am I supposed to keep looking straight ahead regardless of starting back angle. I can't think of anything else.

Its on the left side just below my head.

My last warmup before the 5 rep max is at 40kg, but that still 66%. Maybe ill try 2 reps at 50kg. 66% should be fine though damnit.

You might be doing them too often and not letting it repair. The more you are capable of in a workout, the more time you need inbetween workouts to repair. You might have hit the point where your body cannot repair in time for your next scheduled workout.

What I would do in that sutuation, if it is overtraining, is take at least a week off of that excerscise, and then modify the schedule to allow at least an extra day in between.

Last edited:
You might be doing them too often and not letting it repair. The more you are capable of in a workout, the more time you need inbetween workouts to repair. You might have hit the point where your body cannot repair in time for your next scheduled workout.

What I would do in that sutuation, if it is overtraining, is take at least a week off of that excerscise, and then modify the schedule to allow at least an extra day in between.
What? He's not overtraining his neck.

Rager - I get neck pain from OHP whenever I forget to warm up my neck before lifting. I believe, for me, that it comes from the quick movement of my head to get out of the way of the bar, and then get back under it.

All I do to warm it up is about 15 full range of motion neck circles in each direction.
As long as I do that, I don't experience any discomfort.

When you lean back your eyes should be fixed at the same position they were when you had the bar in your hands (in my case, since I look straight ahead, when I lean back I have to tuck my chin a little to keep my line of view, I just tried not doing that and I felt a little discomfort in the neck so maybe that's it)

ill do some neck circles too just in case.

At the moment when I lean back for the start position I let my gaze drift upwards slightly in line with my back. As I execute the lift and straighten my back I look straight ahead. I see others doing this in videos though.

The reason Why i cut out the OHP for now is because of the massive neck and thoracic spine pain it started to cause for me.

Neck pain with OHP? I've never heard of this or experienced this pain. I guess it happens.

I strained a muscle in my neck badly while putting weight overhead once. Had a fewminor incodents after that to.
I just do some quick neck rolling and stretching before and during my OH worokouts. Since I started that I've had no problems.

What? He's not overtraining his neck.

Rager - I get neck pain from OHP whenever I forget to warm up my neck before lifting. I believe, for me, that it comes from the quick movement of my head to get out of the way of the bar, and then get back under it.

All I do to warm it up is about 15 full range of motion neck circles in each direction.
As long as I do that, I don't experience any discomfort.

How do you know? That type of pain is usually an overuse injury. It's not just the muscles that need recovery.

relax your neck when OHP then

How do you know? That type of pain is usually an overuse injury. It's not just the muscles that need recovery.

I know because he is running the Texas Method.

I never have gotten neck pain from the press, but I do get middle back pain if I am not careful.

Try warming up, if the problem continues a form check might be helpful (revive this thread if you need to post it). Maybe there is something with your form you are not aware of.

ive never had any neck problems because of military press, youre either using bad form or too much weight for you to handle, or your doing them too often

I've hurt my upper back and neck before with the OHP, and it was due to bad form. I had misunderstood what "get under the bar" meant, and I was moving my head forward, kinda like what birds do when they're walking. This meant that my traps were overstretched while trying to put weight above my head.

5 days ago I hurt my neck with the bench press on my last rep. I think I pushed the back of my head into the bench and screwed up my form as well.

In addition, according to one of my stronger friends at the gym, it might be overuse injury because I work in front of a computer most of the day. i.e. lots of unintentional leaning forward. Any merit to this?

Back