Miller vs Melendez

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by thebaconator, Jan 1, 2013.

1. thebaconator

thebaconator Brown Belt

if Pettis wins and gets his title shot? A Miller WAR seems like the best litmus test to see if your ready for a title shot

2. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

Yeah if Melendez isn't getting a title shot then I think a fight against Miller would be a great fight.

3. Elysianwing

Elysianwing Mr. Mojo Risin' Belt

I'd love to see this fight as the title-qualifier for Melendez.

I'd expect an absolute dogfight from both men, and while I'd expect Gil to edge Miller out....this would be one of those fights that I wouldn't really have a preference as to who wins; can't help but love both of them.

4. 1990

1990 Orange Belt

It would be a great fight but I think Melendez is getting a title shot his first fight in. Pettis could beat god himself and they'd still look down on him for a title shot because Clay Guida grapple fucked him for 3 rounds. The Pettis/Cerrone fight probably won't wind up having any real implications to it, other then it's a really intriguing fight for the fans to see. If you just look at the past year of title eliminators and fights where UFC promises the winner is one more fight away, or if this happens, or if that happens, that's pretty much what will wind up happening for the winner of Pettis/Cerrone. It's just going to be another fight for both guys that they have to win to stay in contention.

5. thebaconator

thebaconator Brown Belt

The latest interview with Dana sounded like Pettis gets the shot next, that can be taken with a grain of salt but the fact that the fight is on FOX leads me to believe he(pettis) can get the shot fist

6. tumetsi

tumetsi Blue Belt

Sounds like a plan, he definitely needs a title qualifier before a shot at bendo.

7. Righteous Jon

Righteous Jon Orange Belt

I would like to see this fight if Melendez loses to Ben, or a little later if he beats Ben. (which he won't) I think Gil deserves his chance for the belt right away, and I think Miller is pretty much the top contender, I mean he's right on the cusp.

8. Kneeuinthenutz

Kneeuinthenutz Steel Belt

On the wave of MMA taking over the world.
    Melendez is the most accomplished and experienced fighter in the LW division. He needs no litmus test.

9. Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl Brown Belt

I have a feeling that Gil will get the shot immediately.

Maybe someone like Maynard for Pettis if he beats Cowboy.

10. willin

willin Black Belt

Puhleeasee. How could you possibly view Miller as "pretty much the top contender" with Maynard looming ominously over the Division? lol

11. willin

willin Black Belt

Unless there is a time-line glitch, if Anthony Pettis can beat Cerrone, I see him in the next Title fight, and deservedly so.
    I don't forsee a Cerrone win getting him a Shot, however.
    If Melendez gets an immediate Title Fight, its a total gift from the UFC.
    Maybe Dana feels indebted to Gracie for delivering the MMA savior Rhonda to his lap.
    The thought itself is nausea inducing.

12. BadIntentions1

BadIntentions1 White Belt

Melendez is the current #2 Lightweight in the world, since Edgar moved to featherweight. He is also the Strikeforce Champion. Pettis is #8 in the rankings and about to fight the current #9. How does that make him able to skip the current #2 ?

Since Strikeforce is merging with the UFC it natural that they should try and unify the belts. Add to that the fact that Melendez is currently ranked number two, it makes perfect sense. Give Pettis another top 5 fight first and if he wins, then let him challange for the belt.