Milk, Water or Nothing?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by MikeMartial, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Black Belt

Wolf A, Bray GA, Popkin BM.
    A short history of beverages and how our body treats them. Obes Rev. 2008 Mar;9(2):151-64.

Numerous studies have demonstrated that beverages containing sugar, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) or alcohol are handled differently by the body than when sugar or HFCS are incorporated in solid foods and as a result the overall caloric intake from solid food does not adjust to account for the calories in these beverages. A consideration of our evolutionary history may help to explain our poor compensatory response to calories from fluids. This paper reviews the history of eight important beverages: milk, beer, wine, tea, coffee, distilled alcoholic beverages, juice and soft drinks. We arrive at two hypotheses. First, humans may lack a physiological basis for processing carbohydrate or alcoholic calories in beverage because only breast milk and water were available for the vast majority of our evolutionary history. Alternatives to those two beverages appeared in the human diet no more than 11 000 years ago, but Homo sapiens evolved between 100 000 and 200 000 years ago. Second, carbohydrate and alcohol-containing beverages may produce an incomplete satiation sequence which prevents us from becoming satiated on these beverages.

I'd like to see this whole study; it could be interesting to see where hormonally neutral and calorically empty drinks like coffee sit.

Fuck, I'm on vacation and I'm still posting and filling the minds of D&S regulars with interesting shit. Look at me go. By the way, it was 75 and sunny here in Palm Springs today, and I drank enough vino from the Temecula Valley region to even make an alcoholic proud.

2. ThePitBull32

ThePitBull32 Green Belt

Interesting...First, I never thought about the difference between HFCS consumed in a liquid v. a soild. Second, was breast milk available to all ages?

3. Knots619

Knots619 Orange Belt

4. canadapride**

canadapride** Banned Banned

I heard breast milk is the most anabolic food. If I were an athlete, I would pay some chick to make breast milk, like that one chick from shoot em up.

5. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

ive always found changing the fluids i take in had a major change in my weight, opposed to the food i ate.

then again going from pop to water over steak to chiken is kinda self explanitory.

6. IronMaidenfan#1

IronMaidenfan#1 Brown Belt

Same here. Interesting stuff Mike, thanks.

7. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Interesting indeed.

8. Chuck Boner

Chuck Boner Banned Banned

I've read that the closest thing to mother's breast milk is mare's milk. That may be good to try if you can find it.

9. T_Money_

T_Money_ Blue Belt

I third this, tho after thinking about it, it becomes pretty obvious. I could pretty easily drink 600 calories worth of soda back in the day and not feel "full" in ANY way, just maybe a bit water logged.

10. Wolverine

Wolverine Green Belt

LMAO!!!

Wolverine
    ///

11. Hbs6

Hbs6 Blue Belt

i find this stuff interesting because if you look back into time when our diets were so primitive, some of those low carb diets can make sense a litte bit because back in the day its not hard to believe that most people ate fatty meats when they could, and veggies and fruit as they found them. Sometimes the caveman diet doesnt sound too bad. THen again life expectancy wasnt quite as long as it is now back then but oh well we can look past that:)

12. T_Money_

T_Money_ Blue Belt

Yup, homosapiens are thought to have evolved like 200,000 years ago while agriculture started like what 10k ago (if anyone knows the exact numbers that would be cool). So we've only been eating lots of complex carbs, lots of eggs, and animal milk for like 5% of our time on earth.

Also, are there any anthropology buffs that know how most people are thought to have died back then? I'd imagine it was almost always by the elements (whether it be animals, cold, heat) and bacterial infections and viruses from places other than humans (dead animals, infected wounds, tainted meat). Also, does anyone know if the ages given in the bible are thought to be accurate? Cuz there are people supposedly living to 900 years old.

13. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

i giggled :icon_chee

14. T_Money_

T_Money_ Blue Belt

So you actually know something here, or you're just the enlightened, above-all-those-simple-minded-christians atheist???

(and no, I don't believe the bible or any other religion).

15. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

What are you talking about.

He giggled because you were effectively asking if something you read in the bible could have some merit behind it under the pretext that it mentioned individuals who could have lived to 900 years.
    I don't think dietary requirements were really dealt with in the bible (maybe more along the lines of 'if you worship god, he will look after you and his devine power will sustain you).

I once read a article by someone saying the major corporations and governments were lead by lizard people. That doesn't mean it has any merit behind it.

If you going to ask something like that people will laugh at you.

He giggled at you and I am giggling at you.

16. JAZACKED

JAZACKED Blue Belt

How about Bovine Colostrum....

Ver good but underrated supplement.....

17. T_Money_

T_Money_ Blue Belt

Wow. Do you know anything about biology and death? I should've never asked in a MMA forum. Obviously far too many atheists w/o a clue (which is far worse than any follower of religion. At least they say they don't know but only believe, where as you actually think you have a fucking clue as to what you're talking about.).

18. redjako

redjako Red Belt

When the catholic church was in its dominance during the Medieval Ages age expectancy was ~30-55 years old.

Say anything? No.

But I thought it was clever, so I'm giggling at myself.

19. T_Money_

T_Money_ Blue Belt

It has nothing to do with god, and everything to do w/ DNA and environmental quality.

20. stylesbjj**

stylesbjj** Banned Banned

Who was the person who said water is the best anabolic?