Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Fort.drum.gif

<DisgustingHHH>
It’s NY though so ew in general.

To be fair about Drum, I like the 10th Mountain.
But why in the world they are stationed in places (Drum and Polk) that:

1- Are on the extremely cold (Drum) or extremely hot (Polk) in terms of local temperatures?
2- Are close to the North and South borders of the country?
3- HAVE NO MOUNTAINS????

Guy I knew there liked the base.... he chose to live about 35-55 minutes from the base so he could do shit with people.

We'd deploy up in that area to work buoys and lighthouses and would stay in Watertown. Wasn't terrible.

We'd deploy up in that area to work buoys and lighthouses and would stay in Watertown. Wasn't terrible.
It just seems to suck as either you live close to work and need to drive 45 minutes to go DO anything on your time off. Or you live near where you can do stuff on your time off and deal with that I-5 traffic in the Tacoma area to get to work that can make a 45 mile commute into a 1.5 hour drive.

I drove from Bellingham to Tacoma one day to catch a concert at the Tacoma Dome and no shit from Boeing field to the Tacoma Dome exit took me like 2.5 hours one day cause the traffic was backed up so badly.

It just seems to suck as either you live close to work and need to drive 45 minutes to go DO anything on your time off. Or you live near where you can do stuff on your time off and deal with that I-5 traffic in the Tacoma area to get to work that can make a 45 mile commute into a 1.5 hour drive.

I drove from Bellingham to Tacoma one day to catch a concert at the Tacoma Dome and no shit from Boeing field to the Tacoma Dome exit took me like 2.5 hours one day cause the traffic was backed up so badly.

I feel you.

One good thing about COVID is the SD traffic isnt so bad where id just stay at work later if I got off during rush hour to avoid the gridlock and get home at the same time.

I feel you.

One good thing about COVID is the SD traffic isnt so bad where id just stay at work later if I got off during rush hour to avoid the gridlock and get home at the same time.
Gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

It admittedly strikes me as weird that there hasn't been more development of commercial/recreational stuff near Ft Lewis other than more and more used car dealers. You'd think they would have built the area up around it in order to make money off the base.

Then again, it is WA too and they're pretty... well... no anti-military but extremely apathetic to it.

@heavyarms21 I saw some recruiters today wearing blue wooly pulleys and tanker jackets. Are those authorized for DIs?

@heavyarms21 I saw some recruiters today wearing blue wooly pulleys and tanker jackets. Are those authorized for DIs?

Its authorized by the uniform order and while you'll see some hats wearing the Tanker Jacket, good look seeing the Blue Wooly Pulley if you can't make it uniform. Hell alot of people don't even know about the blue one.

What happened to that dude that was from Oklahoma, retired as an army cpt? It was phrler or something like that.

Or @sub_thug or @Billy no mates or @SMEAC?

Now it’s easy to switch user names, I can’t tell if they’re banned quit or changed names.

Anyone saying the word "manlet" can go fist themselves.

Flaherty-2.jpg

“Throughout the battle, he repeatedly exposed himself to the hostile fire in order to better direct the suppressive fire of his squads. Lieutenant Flaherty immediately called a 90 Millimeter recoilless rifle team to his position after having spotted an enemy bunker position to his front, which was delivering automatic weapons fire on his platoon.

Lieutenant Flaherty then personally directed and assisted the 90 Millimeter recoilless rifle team in an assault of the enemy bunker, braving up the intense hail of hostile fire. Under Lieutenant Flaherty’s astute direction and leadership, the enemy bunker was swiftly destroyed, enabling his platoon to advance and continue its devastating attack against the enemy.

Flaherty was killed during a hit and run attack on May 9, 2015, in Miami. He had spent his last years alive homeless. In his death, however, he found his home next to the woman he had loved, Lisa Anness Davis.

Former police officer David Yuzuk has written a superb book on Flaherty and his amazing life. You can check it out here."

Height-waiver Green Beret: Captain James Flaherty was a Special Forces legend - Sandboxx

Flaherty-2.jpg

“Throughout the battle, he repeatedly exposed himself to the hostile fire in order to better direct the suppressive fire of his squads. Lieutenant Flaherty immediately called a 90 Millimeter recoilless rifle team to his position after having spotted an enemy bunker position to his front, which was delivering automatic weapons fire on his platoon.

Lieutenant Flaherty then personally directed and assisted the 90 Millimeter recoilless rifle team in an assault of the enemy bunker, braving up the intense hail of hostile fire. Under Lieutenant Flaherty’s astute direction and leadership, the enemy bunker was swiftly destroyed, enabling his platoon to advance and continue its devastating attack against the enemy.

Flaherty was killed during a hit and run attack on May 9, 2015, in Miami. He had spent his last years alive homeless. In his death, however, he found his home next to the woman he had loved, Lisa Anness Davis.

Former police officer David Yuzuk has written a superb book on Flaherty and his amazing life. You can check it out here."

Height-waiver Green Beret: Captain James Flaherty was a Special Forces legend - Sandboxx
Vietcong never saw him coming.

What happened to that dude that was from Oklahoma, retired as an army cpt? It was phrler or something like that.
I'm still here Mike. I think it has been close to 3 months since I checked in with Sherdog. Retired as an Army Major.
Phr3121 was my old user name back in March of last year.
He also owned a pet donkey.
That would be 5 donkeys that I rescued and raise. I'm surprised you remembered that.
You should watch his documentary - 'The Giant Killer', 2017:
"If Richard Flaherty was only the shortest man to ever be in the U.S. Army and a Green Beret that would certainly be a unique story in itself. Flaherty was much more though. He was a war hero and beloved leader of the men he commanded. -- Eventually he ended up with a mundane Postal Service job which he hated and after some years walked away from. This is when he began his homeless period."

Worth noting that the guy had a dark personality. He killed his prisoners instead of taking them in for interrogation. His men knew it. Flaherty was trying to make an impression to compensate for his height.

Last edited:
I'm still here Mike. I think it has been close to 3 months since I checked in with Sherdog. Retired as an Army Major.
Phr3121 was my old user name back in March of last year.

That would be 5 donkeys that I rescued and raise. I'm surprised you remembered that.

You should watch his documentary - 'The Giant Killer', 2017:
"If Richard Flaherty was only the shortest man to ever be in the U.S. Army and a Green Beret that would certainly be a unique story in itself. Flaherty was much more though. He was a war hero and beloved leader of the men he commanded. -- Eventually he ended up with a mundane Postal Service job which he hated and after some years walked away from. This is when he began his homeless period."

>
Worth noting that the guy had a dark past. He killed his prisoners instead of taking them in for questioning. His men knew it. Flaherty was trying to make an impression to compensate for his height.
81OKHbQeMPL._SL1500_.jpg
Good to see you’re still here buddy. The wr is a tough place to survive lol

Back