Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Anyone know how a guy has a CIB and Purple Heart but no campaign medal? I’m referring this whistle blower Lt Col Vindman.

Also no bronze star, and one deployment. Maybe his injury was really severe but seems a little off to me.

Anyone know how a guy has a CIB and Purple Heart but no campaign medal? I’m referring this whistle blower Lt Col Vindman. Also no bronze star, and one deployment. Maybe his injury was really severe but seems a little off to me.
Ha, ha! I noticed the same thing. Kind of 'slim' on ribbons for an O-5. What caught my attention is that LTC Vindman is a 'fat' boy. No way 'fat' boy Vindman makes height and weight. ...and I really doubt Vindman passes the APFT. That tie knot should be a double Windsor. Fat boy also does not have a wedding ring. Kind of makes you wonder... Another fat 'Ranger'.
WWXTYWGRLZG7DGCCF7WA6GJ4ZY.jpg

960x0.jpg

Last edited:
LTC Alexander Vindman:
"After graduating from State University of New York at Binghamton in 1998, Vindman joined the United States Army and became a career Army officer. He completed the Infantry Officer Basic Course (IOBC) at Ft. Benning in 1999 and deployed the next year to South Korea, where he commanded infantry and an anti-armor platoon. In addition to overseas deployments to South Korea and Germany, Vindman is a combat veteran. He was deployed to Iraq to take part in the Iraq War from September 2004 to September 2005. In October 2004, he sustained an injury from a roadside bomb in Iraq, for which he received a Purple Heart. He was promoted to the rank of Major in 2008, and to Lieutenant Colonel in September 2015." Missing this ribbon (Iraq Campaign Medal):
jdt-61-013-gsa.jpg

@Mike Hagger

LTC Alexander Vindman:
"After graduating from State University of New York at Binghamton in 1998, Vindman joined the United States Army and became a career Army officer. He completed the Infantry Officer Basic Course (IOBC) at Ft. Benning in 1999 and deployed the next year to South Korea, where he commanded infantry and an anti-armor platoon. In addition to overseas deployments to South Korea and Germany, Vindman is a combat veteran. He was deployed to Iraq to take part in the Iraq War from September 2004 to September 2005. In October 2004, he sustained an injury from a roadside bomb in Iraq, for which he received a Purple Heart. He was promoted to the rank of Major in 2008, and to Lieutenant Colonel in September 2015." Missing this ribbon (Iraq Campaign Medal):
jdt-61-013-gsa.jpg

@Mike Hagger

It’s just interesting that he does not wear the ICM, also that as an 11A, he did just one combat deployment during his 20 years. Seems like he might have been buried in assignments for some reason. Just speculation though.

It’s just interesting that he does not wear the ICM, also that as an 11A, he did just one combat deployment during his 20 years. Seems like he might have been buried in assignments for some reason. Just speculation though.
You could substitute the GWOT E for the ICM (or ACM) if you deployed before April 30 2005. It looks like he has one.

Ha, ha! I noticed the same thing. Kind of 'slim' on ribbons for an O-5. What caught my attention is that LTC Vindman is a 'fat' boy. No way 'fat' boy Vindman makes height and weight. ...and I really doubt Vindman passes the APFT. That tie knot should be a double Windsor. Fat boy also does not have a wedding ring. Kind of makes you wonder... Another fat 'Ranger'.
WWXTYWGRLZG7DGCCF7WA6GJ4ZY.jpg

960x0.jpg
He doesn’t look that fat, man.

Beginning in 2008, LTC Vindman became a Foreign Area Officer specializing in Eurasia.

You could substitute the GWOT E for the ICM (or ACM) if you deployed before April 30 2005. It looks like he has one.
Yeah, who exactly would do that? Most soldiers want to display something related to Iraq or Afghanistan, where they served. Is this LTC trying to imply that he was in both theaters?
"The medal was awarded retroactively from 19 March 2003 until the end of Operation New Dawn on 31 December 2011. The Iraq Campaign Medal replaced the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (GWOT-EM) for service in Iraq from 19 March 2003, through 30 April 2005."

Last edited:
Yes he does. That is what happens when you become a FAO. Too many doughnuts and coffee at his desk. Fat boy has probably not fired a weapon in years. A fat 'Ranger' no less... o_O

Last edited:
Another 'Fat Boy' for you. General Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. Not sure how this guy managed to be an Infantry Officer in the U.S. Army without a 'Ranger' tab.
190px-NormanSchwarzkopf.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another 'Fat Boy' for you. General Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. Not sure how this guy managed to be an Infantry Officer in the U.S. Army without a 'Ranger' tab.
475px-NormanSchwarzkopf.jpg
Different times. Like 50-60 years ago different. Dude has 3 silver stars and a few Purple Hearts and bronze star for leading men in Vietnam. I think he’s good, man.

Yeah, who exactly would do that?
I knew plenty who did. They knew they were going back to Iraq later on anyhow and 2 ribbons > 1 ribbon with service star (s). The only other way to get a GWOT E at the time was going to Djbouti (rare for marines) or Kuwait (even rarer).

Different times. Like 50-60 years ago different. Dude has 3 silver stars and a few Purple Hearts and bronze star for leading men in Vietnam. I think he’s good, man.
Oh, Schwarzkopf is good alright, no questions there. Still a 'fat boy' in my book. I do question the merits his 3rd Silver Star though. More like a Bronze Star with 'V' device. I think he comes up short in his leadership style in dealing with subordinates and the handling of the Iraqi Army towards the end of the Gulf War. You have both Shelton and Powell in the same war (Vietnam) who did manage to attend Ranger school, both also went through some 'stiff' combat in the field and did not get a Silver Star.

Last edited:
Oh, Schwarzkopf is good alright, no questions there. Still a 'fat boy' in my book. I do question the merits his 3rd Silver Star though. More like a Bronze Star with 'V' device. I think he comes up short in his leadership style in dealing with subordinates and the handling of the Iraqi Army towards the end of the Gulf War. You have both Shelton and Powell in the same war (Vietnam) who did manage to attend Ranger school, both also went through some 'stiff' combat in the field and did not get a Silver Star.
Yeah I don’t know man about the awards. On your second point I’m sure it was out of his hands on how he handled the Iraqi army.
I’m not gonna look it up but I’m sure there are plenty of men who served as infantry officers in Vietnam that didn’t do through x, y or z school and led men just fine.

I’m not gonna look it up but I’m sure there are plenty of men who served as infantry officers in Vietnam that didn’t do through x, y or z school and led men just fine.
Indeed, but that is no longer the case today. Actually it has not been the case since the 1980s. If you plan to make it to Captain in an Infantry unit (Active Duty) in the U.S. Army, you really need the tab. Not mandatory, but your career in the Infantry as an officer will be limited. I believe even Infantry National Guard units are now getting more slots and funding for the school. It is a 'watered down' version of what I went through in 1992. You now have women and multiple MOSs (like Medical Nurses) going through the school, and you now have women in the Infantry. Women in charge of Infantry Divisions. I'm sure glad I went when I went and got out when I did.

As for Schwarzkopf, not one of my favorite officers. His boss, General Collin Powell, was truly a great soldier and leader. I wish he had run for the Presidency instead of Obama, but his wife was against it. These 3 remain my favorite:
373px-GEN_Colin_Powell.JPG

384px-General_Henry_Shelton%2C_official_portrait_2.jpg

384px-GEN_Petraeus_Aug_2011_Photo.jpg

Back