Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

@Hail to the Redskins
1958 Tybee Island mid-air collision. An incident on February 5, 1958, in which the U.S. Air Force lost a 7,600-pound Mark 15 nuclear bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savanah, Georgia. Yield: 3.8 megatons.

We have been able to make these weapons small enough to fit a few in one missile (the primary charge is an atom bomb - amazing):
DNVz0daXkAAVFjz.jpg
The Peacekeeper could fit 10 W87 Mk 21 warheads. That’s goddamn ridiculous.
The size of the warhead is what makes me believe that N.Korea hasn’t gotten that tech yet. Therefore their range is limited.

@Hail to the Redskins
Reading about the 'Fat Man' bomb from Nagasaki (1945) and the 'Ivy Mike' bomb test (1952) is what got me really interested in nuclear weapons. The destructive power of the second is phenomenal, 10.4 megatons. That is roughly 650 'Little Boy' Hiroshima bombs - 15 kilotons each. Both Wikipedia and YouTube do a very good job of releasing partial information on how each is built. I remember sitting at my desk at USSOUTHCOM in 2006 and going through the internet and finding information I had read on the 'classified' computer. People just don't know how to stay quiet about sensitive information.
447px-Fat_Man_Internal_Components.png

Last edited:
@Hail to the Redskins
Reading about the 'Fat Man' bomb from Nagasaki (1945) and the 'Ivy Mike' bomb test (1952) is what got me really interested in nuclear weapons. The destructive power of the second is phenomenal, 10.4 megatons. That is roughly 650 'Little Boy' Hiroshima bombs - 15 kilotons each. Both Wikipedia and YouTube do a very good job of releasing partial information on how each is built. I remember sitting at my desk at USSOUTHCOM in 2006 and going through the internet and finding information I had read on the 'classified' computer. People just don't know how to stay quiet about sensitive information.
447px-Fat_Man_Internal_Components.png

Richard Rhodes The Making of the Atomic Bomb is a good read. Long as fuck and written back in the 80’s buts its extensive.

Final Observation for DI school, goddamn my feet hurt.

Get any time off between graduation and picking up your first platoon?

One Month ish. However my company will be graduating by the time I check back in so I will "Bird Dog" with another company while they are on outpost.

One Month ish. However my company will be graduating by the time I check back in so I will "Bird Dog" with another company while they are on outpost.
What about being a receiving DI? Those dudes had it made.

How so? Never really got to pick a DI's brain while I was in. Is it just a generous rotation of like 1 week on, 1 week off?
I went to San Diego as a recruit and I have buddies that went there as DIs and now I'm going to be a PI DI and from my understanding is that Receiving along with MCMAP, the Pool and a few other things falls under Quota which is a DI responsibility outside the normal training battalions . So depending on manpower or which company and battalion in the chute to give up a body that anyone of those can last 6 months to a Year and half . Receiving also covers Pick Up, RSP, PCP, and MRP.

I went to San Diego as a recruit and I have buddies that went there as DIs and now I'm going to be a PI DI and from my understanding is that Receiving along with MCMAP, the Pool and a few other things falls under Quota which is a DI responsibility outside the normal training battalions . So depending on manpower or which company and battalion in the chute to give up a body that anyone of those can last 6 months to a Year and half . Receiving also covers Pick Up, RSP, PCP, and MRP.

Thanks for the response. So I take it these typically go to the senior DI's in a particular BN?

Please try and keep posting once you've got a platoon. I'd love to hear stories from a DI's perspective. I went to boot camp in SD back in '98. Bumped into a former DI who was in the same Company as my DI's while going through the MCMAP IT school. Guy seemed to have a beef with my SDI though and just talked shit on him all the time. Thought that was weird. Figured DI's would have each others back and not talk out of shop. I guess there's all types though.

Thanks for the response. So I take it these typically go to the senior DI's in a particular BN?

Please try and keep posting once you've got a platoon. I'd love to hear stories from a DI's perspective. I went to boot camp in SD back in '98. Bumped into a former DI who was in the same Company as my DI's while going through the MCMAP IT school. Guy seemed to have a beef with my SDI though and just talked shit on him all the time. Thought that was weird. Figured DI's would have each others back and not talk out of shop. I guess there's all types though.

Yes typically a guy that has done 3 or more cycles will be put on Quota so they get a little break from the Grind of the Regular training battalions however Rank could also be a factor , for example for the Pool if they need someone Senior to lead it and one of the companies has a Senior SSgt or Gunny that is already MCWIS that person might have only done one or two cycles and then get sent to the Pool to be the SNCOIC .

The Drill Field so far from what I've seen can take things the extreme in that the Job fucking sucks it's an 17-20 Hour Work Day over the course of 13 weeks with a lot physical and mental stress on the body. Some guys make sure to go out of their way take care of each other, while others become unreasonably competitive and burn other DIs. Like the fleet not every DI is a good Marine .

To be completely honest I'm getting a bit of anxiety thinking about it . Because I believe I'm a good troop handler and I genuinely want to look out for people. But down here I gotta break out of my shell more and live up the billet

"U.S. military suicides surge to record high among active duty troops" - 27 Sep 2019

Story: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...surge-to-record-high-among-active-duty-troops

"This year for the first time, the Pentagon included statistics for suicides by military spouses and dependents. Van Winkle said the most recent numbers available were for 2017, but officials are working to get better at collecting family data. According to the report, there were 186 families that had suicides – 123 were spouses and 63 were dependents between the ages of 12 and 23."

Fuck. Its reading shit like that today and I wonder what the fuck am I doing with my life. When it involves kid/young adults it pulls at the heart strings. I need to go work for Save the Children or some .org that specializes in anti human trafficking. Something that helps people and not help people get licenses to export arms lol.

I met this Navy JAG Officer in Kabul in 2011. I was in the Army, hence had nametapes on the back of my cover and he actually said my name correctly (which is mad rare, I usually got some form of the bird Canary).

I turned around, and see a Navy O-3. Dude goes 'was your dad Senior Drill Instructor at MCRD in 1991?" Apparently my dad was this guy's DI when he was a boot Marine, before switching over to Navy and going JAG.

I mean I remember all my Drill Sergeants in Army BCT, but i'm not going up to randos a full 20 years later to ask if they're related hahahah

A few weeks later, the same thing happened w/ some Civilian Contractor, apparently my dad his was Sgt Maj here at MCCES at 29 Palms when he was a SSgt stationed there.

It really is a small world, in many ways

US Army 1991-2016 E8 MSG (Ret)
MOS 95B/18E/37F

Duty Assignments: Ft McClellan, Ft Rucker, Ft Lewis, Camp Zama
Home and a vast majority of my career was spent @FT Bragg...Center of the Operational Universe... being stationed there usually means very little home time...LoL

Worked out of either Bi/Unilaterally, sometimes multiple trips (chronologically) Germany, Austria, Hungry, Croatia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Serbia, Canada, Kosovo, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Bangladesh, Myanmar, England, Nepal, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, UAE, Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan.

Overseas JCS/JCET Exrcises Supported: Ulchi Focus Lens/Guardian, Foul Eagle, RSO&I, Team Spirit, Key Resolve, Talisman Sabre, Han Kuang, Terminal Fury, Keen Edge, Keen Sword, Yama Sakura, Balakatan, Cobra Gold, Balance Knife, Balance Piston, Balance Iron, Balance Torch, Balance Buffalo

Operations Supported
IFOR/SFOR
KFOR
Operation Unified Assistance
JTF Katrina
OIF
OEF

Cantankerous Paratrooper with a surgically repaired back, neck and ankle... carrying head shrapnel with onset of CTE

so there’s that...

<36>

“Freedom isn’t Free” somewhere, someone weather it’s a family member of a fallen servicemen or a guy like myself is paying a price...

But... I would do it all again in a heartbeat...

<Goldie11>

If any of y'all are looking to buy a handgun Glock is running a special for honorably discharged vets through Veterans Day. You can get their blue label pricing that's usually only for law enforcement and retired vets. For example, a stock Gen 5 would be about $540 but blue label would only be roughly $400.

If any of y'all are looking to buy a handgun Glock is running a special for honorably discharged vets through Veterans Day. You can get their blue label pricing that's usually only for law enforcement and retired vets. For example, a stock Gen 5 would be about $540 but blue label would only be roughly $400.

Kinda want to save up for a Beretta 92X

Last edited:
Back