Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

As a civilian, unit citations and shit like that has always confused me. Like, I get the UNIT got cited for some act but I never understood wearing something to symbolize that when you will always be getting new guys that didn't take part.

In the Marines, you only wear a citation ribbon (MUC, NUC, or PUC) if you were actually in the unit at that time.

In the Marines, you only wear a citation ribbon (MUC, NUC, or PUC) if you were actually in the unit at that time.
My understanding is Marines don't even get to wear jump wings if they earned them. Basically all they have is rank, those "time in slashes" on the sleeves, some campaign ribbons and like major awards but that's it.

That is a long U.S. Army tradition. What you wear on the left side of your uniform is what you earned. On the right side is what your assigned unit has earned historically, if anything. Soldiers assigned to the 1st Infantry Division get to wear a lot of ribbons on their uniform. Personally, I think the U.S. Army has too many things on their uniform these days. It should go back to the way it was in the 1940s. Marines don't wear much on their uniform, I think they look better.

Edit: The CIB is a higher award and should be worn above 'airborne' wings.
So, let me get this right.

Guys in the "Big Red One" as it's called, are STILL wearing ribbons that were earned in like WWII on D-Day and shit? DAMN.

That is a long U.S. Army tradition. What you wear on the left side of your uniform is what you earned. On the right side is what your assigned unit has earned historically, if anything. Soldiers assigned to the 1st Infantry Division get to wear a lot of ribbons on their uniform. Personally, I think the U.S. Army has too many things on their uniform these days. It should go back to the way it was in the 1940s. Marines don't wear much on their uniform, I think they look better.

I like the Army having the blue cord and crossed rifles for infantry.

My understanding is Marines don't even get to wear jump wings if they earned them. Basically all they have is rank, those "time in slashes" on the sleeves, some campaign ribbons and like major awards but that's it.

Guys in the "Big Red One" as it's called, are STILL wearing ribbons that were earned in like WWII on D-Day and shit? DAMN.
You can wear jump wings, its just that most don't wear them.

Huh? Marines wear jump wings (and scuba bubbles). There's also an EOD badge and all kinds of stuff for aviation dudes.

Pretty much. It's not like that in the Marines though. My unit got a PUC for 1943, a NUC for all kinds of stuff from 65-02, and a MUC for stuff in the 80s and it's not like I was allowed to wear them.

You can wear jump wings, its just that most don't wear them.
Huh? Marines wear jump wings (and scuba bubbles).
A friend lied to me... BASTARD.

LifeIsNotFair said:
Pretty much. It's not like that in the Marines though. My unit got a PUC for 1943, a NUC for all kinds of stuff from 65-02, and a MUC for stuff in the 80s and it's not like I was allowed to wear them.
That blows my mind a bit.

Huh? Marines wear jump wings (and scuba bubbles).
Why don't Marines who went through the U.S. Army Ranger school get to wear the tab? They go through the U.S. Army Airborne school to wear their jump wings. Weird.

When I was in USAF tech school, everyone in my class was brand-new to the service and were rocking 3-4 ribbons (NDS, GWOT, Honor Graduate from BMT and/or "expert marskman"). We had a couple of foreign service NCOs in our class from Estonia and maybe Poland or somewhere. They were both 10-20 year soldiers and had like 2-3 ribbons total. This one foreign NCO said "it looks like you all personally won the war."

Why don't Marines who went through the U.S. Army Ranger school get to wear the tab? They go through the U.S. Army Airborne school to wear their jump wings. Weird.

Misplaced Pride probably

My understanding is Marines don't even get to wear jump wings if they earned them.
Marines go through the same school as soldiers at Ft. Benning, GA. An Army school, but Marines wear different 'jump' wings from soldiers. USMC above and U.S. Army below:
post-440-1244347271.jpg

Marines go through the same school as soldiers at Ft. Benning, GA. An Army school, but Marines wear different 'jump' wings from soldiers. USMC above and U.S. Army below:
post-440-1244347271.jpg
Those are both worn (obviously not at the same time). The top one is for doing 5 more jumps after school.

The Parachutist Insignia, also known as "lead sleds" or "lead wings", is awarded to personnel upon successful completion of the Basic Airborne Course at the Army Airborne School. The silver Basic Parachutist Insignia is issued for completion of basic parachutist training, five qualifying jumps. The gold Navy and Marine Corps Parachutist Insignia first authorized in 1963, also known as "gold wings", are issued after five additional qualifying jumps.

No, Marines presented with the Ranger tab are not authorized to wear it on their uniforms.

Is there actually a badge for Ranger school? We don't have velcro on our uniforms I'm not sure where we'd even stick the ranger tab on the cammies

Is there actually a badge for Ranger school? We don't have velcro on our uniforms I'm not sure where we'd even stick the ranger tab on the cammies
No, just the 'tab' (upper left sleeve). Marines I've seen usually sew it under their left breast pocket flap.

Huh? Marines wear jump wings (and scuba bubbles). There's also an EOD badge and all kinds of stuff for aviation dudes.

Raiders have their badge now, too.

The army is overkill on badges.. we give air assault wings for a course that's a whopping 12 days long...

My whole career I have avoided sewing or pinning anything on my uniform. We wear a lot of non standard uniform's anyways, I think that tells someone all they need to know.

we were port and report (12 on 12 off) for 97 days straight. fucking topsiders were all at least 5 section duty.
is nnsy still in da hood? seemed like there were crime/drugs/streetwalkers at or very close to there.
good gig tho. you loving it?

Yeah, life is pretty good. The only downside, maybe, is the continuous inspections. NRRO has an office in the shipyard all year round with representatives wandering about all the time, once a year NRRO invites even more friends for an official audit (think ORSE, though not nearly as intense), once a year several of them audit the school were I work (mini-ORSE), and they administer randomly issued retention exams (four parts, essay answer only, 8 hours to take) once a quarter.
And yes, the SY is pretty much in the hood. Who would want to live next to a sprawling industrial complex if they could afford anything else? But it's a short commute to better places.

No, just the 'tab' (upper left sleeve). Marines I've seen usually sew it under their left breast pocket flap.
Lol snipers used to do that too with the bdu's . Check out my sniper tab - flips pocket up...

The army is overkill on badges...
I think these two are pretty 'basic' and should not have a 'tab' or 'badge':
sapper_tab_multicam_grande.jpeg

Pathfinder:
us_army_pathfinder_badge_mirror_finish_1280_pathf_mrf_1024x1024.jpeg

* Did we not have a section on 'demolition' and 'aviation' in Ranger school - Ranger handbook?
Check out my sniper tab - flips pocket up...
Yeah, you better let these guys know the U.S. Army does not give out a sniper tab or badge:
main-qimg-1c43c56505534b5830e854ebd8ceee6a

Back