Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

No, they were pretty well integrated into German formations. The German military wasn’t organized with the level of inbuilt segregation the American military did. The us military of course having exclusionary units for nearly its entire history by that point

No they were not they were in segregated battalions and didn't really start getting formed until 1943 when Germany was starting to feel the manpower shortages, thats why some were used in occupation roles so the Germans could be sent to the fronts.

"One Day in September", 1999.
A documentary film examining the 5 September 1972 murder of 11 Israeli athletes by the Palestinian terrorist group 'Black September' in the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, Germany.

My review:
Good documentary. I knew of the massacre by the Palestinian terrorists, but what I did not know is how the Germans truly fucked up the whole operation. Truly laughable by those of us who have been in the military. The 'Black September' Palestinian group did an outstanding operation. Similar to the 9/11 attacks. This was at a time when counter terrorism was an unknown art. Kind of like guerrilla warfare in the 1960s. Germany failed miserably at the Olympic village and at the airport (rescue attempt). Total failure by the German police and German military. This event came to change how countries, including the U.S., came to deal with terrorist attacks and the creation of counter terrorist units.

I think the history of CT is more open to interpretation though. Its beginnings were realistically found in various civilisations years ago,but in modern terms the British/Irish conflict maintained counter terrorist units long before Black September existed

I think the history of CT is more open to interpretation though. Its beginnings were realistically found in various civilisations years ago,but in modern terms the British/Irish conflict maintained counter terrorist units long before Black September existed

True. I would say the British pretty much led the 'how to' of Counter Terrorism. I would consider the British/Irish conflict an internal UK issue, and of course the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980 put the SAS on the world map, but even the SAS in 1980 did not really have the capabilities of a CT unit they have today.

The Israeli Mossad also pioneered some CT techniques. They manage to find and kill 2 of the 3 remaining Palestinian terrorists of the Munich Olympics. They also killed 12 others involved in the plot.

Here in the U.S., I believe the U.S. Navy SEALs, U.S. Army Special Forces, and Delta all have Counter Terrorism capabilities, @Mike Hagger may be able to fill us in.

True. I would say the British pretty much led the 'how to' of Counter Terrorism. I would consider the British/Irish conflict an internal UK issue, and of course the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980 put the SAS on the world map, but even the SAS in 1980 did not really have the capabilities of a CT unit they have today.

The Israeli Mossad also pioneered some CT techniques. They manage to find and kill 2 of the 3 remaining Palestinian terrorists of the Munich Olympics. They also killed 12 others involved in the plot.

Here in the U.S., I believe the U.S. Navy SEALs, U.S. Army Special Forces, and Delta all have Counter Terrorism capabilities, @Mike Hagger may be able to fill us in.

Yup we pioneered it, then your guys overtook us in cqb capabilities and we learned it from you lol

Yeah you got it those units are the main proponent of CT, obviously ST6 and Delta the lead on certain aspects. Also in the mix is MARSOC and Ranger Regiment and a handful of other supporting units that are considered in the CT relm - pararescue, 160th, CCTs.

If it's a national priority only two units are getting that call, supplemented with the supporting players, similar to SAS, and other national units that specializes in surgical strikes.

MARSOC and SF, both capable of unilateral surgical strikes but primarily would be fixed to working by with and through a force to accomplish various goals, which could include CT.

That's a variety of options for higher to choose from, sometimes Delta isn't the right tool for the job. That's why there's all this mission overlap.

On this topic one my favorite stories was Charging Charlie Beckwith, legendary SF guy read about him in several accounts during Vietnam. What a bad ass.

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than a hundred shit-heads." - Col Beckwith

Yup we pioneered it, then your guys overtook us in cqb capabilities and we learned it from you lol.

Here we see how the French (GIGN) did it successfully in 1994 as opposed to the Germans in 1972. All in 22 minutes. Man, what a world of difference. Terrorists and hostages is always a tricky situation. So many things can go wrong.

GIGN: National Gendarmerie Intervention Group -- is the elite police tactical unit of the French National Gendarmerie (a branch of the French Armed Forces). Its missions include counter-terrorism and hostage rescue. GIGN was established in 1974 following the Munich massacre.

"Air France Flight 8969 was an Air France flight that was hijacked in December 1994. The terrorists murdered three passengers and their intention was to blow up the plane over the Eiffel Tower in Paris. When the aircraft reached Marseille, the GIGN stormed the plane and killed all four hijackers."

Last edited:
No they were not they were in segregated battalions and didn't really start getting formed until 1943 when Germany was starting to feel the manpower shortages, thats why some were used in occupation roles so the Germans could be sent to the fronts.
Incorrect. Unit history shows the majority of such units being formed in 1941 and 42. Which makes sense as that’s when a majority of the countries the men were recruited from cane under axis control. It was generally your Russo-Slav units that formed in 43 or later cause those drew from pows rather than volunteers.

Incorrect. Unit history shows the majority of such units being formed in 1941 and 42. Which makes sense as that’s when a majority of the countries the men were recruited from cane under axis control. It was generally your Russo-Slav units that formed in 43 or later cause those drew from pows rather than volunteers.

So witch counties would those be? And where were all these ethnic minorities fighting.

Any other Submariners in here? Retired Navy Nuke, so my sea stories differ quite a bit from the desert stories that seem ubiquitous ITT.

Any other Submariners in here? Retired Navy Nuke, so my sea stories differ quite a bit from the desert stories that seem ubiquitous ITT.

Just curious, any women with you in that submarine? I take it gay men are also serving in those submarines? Tell me about those 'nukes' you guys carried onboard...

God forbid. Locked up in a 'tin' can underwater for months. Yeah, that would take a special kind of person. Not my 'cup-of-tea'. I need the ground under my feet and the sky above my head.

'Ubiquitous'. Man, I had to look that word up. Smart folks in the submariners...

Paris Island is integrating Male and Female Platoons for Recruit Training.

Everything I learned about a subs was from Tom Clancy.

Everything I learned about a subs was from Tom Clancy.

Forget Clancy, check out this movie. Those German U-boat sailors in WWII had balls. More killed than their counterpart in the Infantry. Horrible living conditions. Nothing like today's submarines. Plus, it must be a 'fuck-fest' if they have women onboard.

Forget Clancy, check out this movie. Those German U-boat sailors in WWII had balls. More killed than their counterpart in the Infantry. Horrible living conditions. Nothing like today's submarines. Plus, it must be a 'fuck-fest' if they have women onboard.

One of the GOAT military movies.

Ever spend any time at Kings Bay?

Paris Island is integrating Male and Female Platoons for Recruit Training.
Ugh, not this again.
A platoon of about 50 or so females will be living in their own squad bay with their own female DIs as part of 3rd Battalion. It's not worth activating 4th Battalion staff just for one platoon.
When I went through in 03, there was a female company (Papa) on the same training schedule as us and with the same graduation date. We'd have classes and certain events like BWT and the Crucible on the same days but were still kept separate. This is no different.

Back