Military "disability" - they are freely handing these out

True. Accountants use their brains a lot more.
Did one of them embarrass you standing next to you at a urinal or something? This level of butthurt is concerning

Did one of them embarrass you standing next to you at a urinal or something? This level of butthurt is concerning

That splatter got mostly on him but it was a little embarrassing that dude couldn't hit the dumb fly

So here’s an example
I know a guy who travels competing in jiu jitsu and is a disabled vet
Sounds bad right?
Well he’s lost most is his hearing and his feet are messed up where he can’t run with gear any more
He can’t be a soldier
He can still lift and compete though

That's a lie, it's the biggest jobs program Murica has. Would easily affect a million people if not more.
I think you vastly underestimate the military-industrial complex!

On the topic at hand. When I retired from the Navy, they recommend you make an appointment and talk to a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) representative. The rep went through my medical record and recommended I cite minor hearing loss (well, duh, I'm 20 years older now), and some minor injuries I got during PT, minor swelling on my knee once and a twisted ankle another time. I just couldn't do it. I just thought of my Dad's purple heart for grenade shrapnel or any IED victim and passed on that.

My fathers in his 70s, Vietnam vet, never collected a dime after getting out during his working life. After retirement he started getting health care at the VA and every time he goes in it seems he’s finding out about some additional money he’s owed for hearing loss, agent orange exposure, ptsd, various ailments he just suffered through for his entire adult life. I’m glad these guys are getting paid right away, if the government takes something from you, they should have to pay for it.

Yes, I think it's a huge deal that no one will talk about because its veterans. My buddy, retired airforce has a 70% disability, perfectly fine, goes to the gym every day etc etc. Get a nice fat check every month and DV plates. I talked to him about it and he basically told me that coming out of basic is an automatic 50% disability. If you deployed to the ME and came anywhere near conflict you can add on another 20% easy from PTSD or breathing issues that are non-existent. He was SF (security forces) so he never even saw combat just had a few mortars hit close to the base.

Your buddy is very wrong on what it takes to qualify for disability through the VA. There's TONS of veterans out there still fighting for disability. There is no "50% for boot camp" or "20% deployment / PTSD." Your buddy is just flat out wrong or he's trying to bullshit you for a specific reason.

I did 4 tours of duty...first was a MEU "float" which left 9 days after 9/11 happened. We ended up in Pakistan and Afghanistan (I stayed in Pakistan) as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. My next 3 deployments were to Iraq...in 2003 when we ousted that piece of shit Saddam. My next was 2004 when we pushed into Fallujah, and another tour in Fallujah in 2006. I was never injured in combat but did see some pretty heavy stuff... during my 2004 deployment my tank alone shot over 300 main gun rounds...actually so many that it was noteworthy on my personal award citation. LMAO
We got blown up by an anti-tank mine in the 2004 deployment but no injuries, and I hit 3 IED's in the 2006 deployment and no injuries.

In 2008 I fucked up my shoulder while playing with my dog...we were playing tug of war (German Shepherd) and he yanked me tripped me and I fell right into a tree stump. It separated the A/C joint requiring reconstructive surgery...my Medical Officer misdianosed the issue and bascially just called me a pussy for 7 months...until my clavicle traveled over 2" and was sticking up and and making a huge bulge in my skin. Then I finally got the treatment I needed after I suffered through 7 months of severe pain and still had to do my normal day to day stuff. I ended up with 60% disability which includes the fucked up shoulder, PTSD, hearing loss, and they made us take Mefloquine during the "float" as an anti-malaria drug. Come to find out that it has some brutal side effects which can permanently alter thoughts and "perceptions of reality."

From the CDC on Mefloquine side effects :
Mefloquine can cause dizziness, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, vivid dreams, and visual disturbances. In rare instances mefloquine can cause seizures, depression, and psychosis

The PTSD was only in my record because I had a bad drinking problem which was medically diagnosed as PTSD. I had to go to a psychologist, do a 2 week in patient alcohol "rehab" course, and that's the only reason it's even on my record book. They don't just put PTSD in your book because you deployed...doesn't happen.

So I ended up at 60% after all that horseshit...9 years of beating up my body and constantly deploying or being in a pre-deployment tempo where we were busy as fuck. I know tons of guys who did the same tours as me but ended up getting out with 0% disability and had a hard time even getting their hearing loss "service connected." I'm writing all of this just to let you know that it's a complicated and drawn out process...nobody is getting shit just because they made it through Air Force boot camp. Did those fuckers get hurt while riding their bicycle? LMAO

Edit : @Ophydian ...NOBODY is coming out of boot camp with an automatic 50% disability. And what the fuck do you mean "they all go for 70%?" You are so far off that it's not even funny.

5212936307_9a3e702a31_z.jpg

For the record, my brother is getting disability from the Army so I will comment very, very judiciously in this thread, lol.

I think there's a real difference between some of the injuries I hear about. Those that occurred in violent parts of the world vs. those that occurred elsewhere and a myriad number of other distinctions. As a lawyer, some of that stuff wouldn't get you a second look.

Your buddy is very wrong on what it takes to qualify for disability through the VA. There's TONS of veterans out there still fighting for disability. There is no "50% for boot camp" or "20% deployment / PTSD." Your buddy is just flat out wrong or he's trying to bullshit you for a specific reason.

I did 4 tours of duty...first was a MEU "float" which left 9 days after 9/11 happened. We ended up in Pakistan and Afghanistan (I stayed in Pakistan) as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. My next 3 deployments were to Iraq...in 2003 when we ousted that piece of shit Saddam. My next was 2004 when we pushed into Fallujah, and another tour in Fallujah in 2006. I was never injured in combat but did see some pretty heavy stuff... during my 2004 deployment my tank alone shot over 300 main gun rounds...actually so many that it was noteworthy on my personal award citation. LMAO
We got blown up by an anti-tank mine in the 2004 deployment but no injuries, and I hit 3 IED's in the 2006 deployment and no injuries.

In 2008 I fucked up my shoulder while playing with my dog...we were playing tug of war (German Shepherd) and he yanked me tripped me and I fell right into a tree stump. It separated the A/C joint requiring reconstructive surgery...my Medical Officer misdianosed the issue and bascially just called me a pussy for 7 months...until my clavicle traveled over 2" and was sticking up and and making a huge bulge in my skin. Then I finally got the treatment I needed after I suffered through 7 months of severe pain and still had to do my normal day to day stuff. I ended up with 60% disability which includes the fucked up shoulder, PTSD, hearing loss, and they made us take Mefloquine during the "float" as an anti-malaria drug. Come to find out that it has some brutal side effects which can permanently alter thoughts and "perceptions of reality."

Mefloquine can cause dizziness, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, vivid dreams, and visual disturbances. In rare instances mefloquine can cause seizures, depression, and psychosis

The PTSD was only in my record because I had a bad drinking problem which was medically diagnosed as PTSD. I had to go to a psychologist, do a 2 week in patient alcohol "rehab" course, and that's the only reason it's even on my record book. They don't just put PTSD in your book because you deployed...doesn't happen.

So I ended up at 60% after all that horseshit...9 years of beating up my body and constantly deploying or being in a pre-deployment tempo where we were busy as fuck. I know tons of guys who did the same tours as me but ended up getting out with 0% disability and had a hard time even getting their hearing loss "service connected." I'm writing all of this just to let you know that it's a complicated and drawn out process...nobody is getting shit just because they made it through Air Force boot camp. Did those fuckers get hurt while riding their bicycle? LMAO

Edit : @Ophydian ...NOBODY is coming out of boot camp with an automatic 50% disability. And what the fuck do you mean "they all go for 70%?" You are so far off that it's not even funny.

I've seen it man. Sorry but it's true.

He did one tour in Iraq and one in fucking Curacao, both as SF. He has 70% disability.

I'm sorry you didn't get more % benefit. Maybe you were too honest?

BTW not being a dick here and I truly mean it but you should write a book about what you've seen.

Last edited:

hey-were you with the 15th MEU? If so, i was there too. Mefloquine was news to me; we all took that chit up to 30 days after we left pakistan. was it in your medical record? it wasnt in mine...

When you are close to getting out they really do their best to help you squeeze the most out of any minor shit on your record. Like if you bruised your knee in the first year of your contract....

During my Transition program (a week long class on resumes and going to college) they went through my medical record and recommended some claims. I had some minor pain in boot camp. Other than that always been healthy. This man wrote some shit in red that I could try and claim. I'm perfectly fine so of course I didn't claim anything. It seems like everyone was trying to get some rating on their way out the door for basically no good reason.

I'm not saying that all claims are BS though. 03's often have messed up backs and knees.

Last edited:
When you are close to getting out they really do their best to help you squeeze the most out of any minor shit on your record. Like if you bruised your knee in the first year of your contract....

During my Transition program (a week long class on resumes and going to college) they went through my medical record and recommended some claims. I had some pain in boot camp. I'm perfectly fine so of course I didn't claim anything. It seems like everyone was trying to get some rating on their way out the door for basically no good reason.

I'm not saying that all claims are BS though. 03's often have messed up backs and knees.

what ginds my gears is that the VA rules on nexus really suck. i know several marines, including myself, submit claims for hearing loss/tinnitus and get shot down because we didnt have it documented in our service record. i would have thought that being in artillery and security forces would be sufficient enough.... but no

I think you vastly underestimate the military-industrial complex!

On the topic at hand. When I retired from the Navy, they recommend you make an appointment and talk to a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) representative. The rep went through my medical record and recommended I cite minor hearing loss (well, duh, I'm 20 years older now), and some minor injuries I got during PT, minor swelling on my knee once and a twisted ankle another time. I just couldn't do it. I just thought of my Dad's purple heart for grenade shrapnel or any IED victim and passed on that.
edit!! oops

Last edited:
History has shown, that for the last 100 years, our military has enabled America to establish its hegemony across the globe.

You think we are throwing money down the drain. Okay. Think about where America would be without its military. You seem to lack the historical references and context neccessary to understand that where we are today is a product of America's military dominance.

Everytime we have this conversation I always wonder which Marine boned your highschool girlfriend to cause such animosity.
Probably Jody... Wait, he might be Jody.

During my Transition program (a week long class on resumes and going to college) they went through my medical record and recommended some claims. I had some minor pain in boot camp. Other than that always been healthy. This man wrote some shit in red that I could try and claim. I'm perfectly fine so of course I didn't claim anything. It seems like everyone was trying to get some rating on their way out the door for basically no good reason.

As you get older those minor injuries you had can affect you greatly. You gonna wait until you’re 50 to claim those? There’s a reason they do that

History has shown, that for the last 100 years, our military has enabled America to establish its hegemony across the globe.

You think we are throwing money down the drain. Okay. Think about where America would be without its military. You seem to lack the historical references and context neccessary to understand that where we are today is a product of America's military dominance.

Everytime we have this conversation I always wonder which Marine boned your highschool girlfriend to cause such animosity.

Youre making a bad argument that this practice is what makes america's military great. You could use this type of reasoning to shut down any criticism with the problems of how the military is run.

what ginds my gears is that the VA rules on nexus really suck. i know several marines, including myself, submit claims for hearing loss/tinnitus and get shot down because we didnt have it documented in our service record. i would have thought that being in artillery and security forces would be sufficient enough.... but no
And I think that is why there is such a huge prevalence now as the other guy mentioned of people trying to get the most on their records.

Youre making a bad argument that this practice is what makes america's military great. You could use this type of reasoning to shut down any criticism with the problems of how the military is run.

Don't convolute the argument. The military is not great. It is fucked up 6 ways to Sunday. Doesn't change the fact that after the 2 world wars we were able to leverage our influence globally as a direct result of our incredibly large military. Might makes right and all that.

Don't convolute the argument. The military is not great. It is fucked up 6 ways to Sunday. Doesn't change the fact that after the 2 world wars we were able to leverage our influence globally as a direct result of our incredibly large military. Might makes right and all that.

What the fuck are you talking about? Lol. The thread is about how the military gives handouts for life for fake injuries. Then you came in defending it by telling us how great the military is pretending that this is what makes the military great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back