Military Basic Training Question- Trying To Understand The "Normal" Response

Yep, boot camp was pretty fun for the most part. Moving the barracks around sucked, but it was just normal shit. I think I told this story before, but doing our series commander inspection, we were in charlies. The guy next to me was asked, by the series commander, who the first commandant of the Marine Corps was. The answer is Capt Samuel Nicholas, and this kid was waffling. He kept saying "Capt Samuel, Capt Samuel... and then he stopped for a second and blurted out Capt Samuel L Jackson Sir." I lost my shit just a bit and of course the drill instructors saw it... I didn't even do my inspection, they had me back in cammies and sent me island-hopping all fucking day long. haha I was smoked beyond all reason, but again, the story brings back awesome memories. haha

From now on church up that story with a motherfucker after sam Jackson

I just wonder how two human beings can be so different. You never thought of the fact that your freedom was curtailed and you couldn't do what you wanted. Or what gave them the right to do that, personally and legally? The insults never made you feel like you were rewarding assholes who only cared about themselves, but were glorifying their egos with this false sense of teamwork? Does any human being have the right to have the amount of power over another person like the command does? Do these assholes with more control over you than any person should ever have even have superior intellect?
No, because it was their job. This may shock you, but they had to go through MUCH WORSE in drill instructor school. They have a set way they need them to act in order to maintain a certain level of control over the recruits. Most of the drill instructors are not egomaniacs (some of course are though) Many it is their position. The kill hat for instance always has to be a maximum douche and you should be borderline afraid of him, but that is the role he plays. The instructors are micromanaged as well, you would be very surprised at how little control they have themselves when training you. Of course they have given some degree of leniency, but if they screw up they have a lot more to worry about than someone hurting their feelings.

I went to Parris Island for Marine Corps Recruit Training. You should be glad that you joined the Army because you wouldn't have lasted a few days in the Marine Corps with that mind set. War is hell so Basic training isn't going to be a party. They tear you down and then build you up.
the marines I know are the toughest SOBs I've ever met. I see stories about navy sailors crying after 12 hours of being civilly detained by a foreign military for acting the fool and just sorta shake my head. Huge differences in the types of people who are attracted to the different branches I suppose.

Thanks for your service

Its threads like these that make me feel like I'm a super human.

Hey TS, how long were you in? What rank were you when you got out?

I've been in the gun club (military) for 17 years and wil be happily retired as an E-6 in about 3 years. That's $$ in the bank every month. I just toughed it out because I knew the reward at the end was great.

Constantly questioning things would have done nothing but fill me with doubt and depression. Also I noticed that the people always questioning everything when tasks were given to them were also the laziest Soldiers (or Marines).

I've been in the gun club (military) for 17 years and wil be happily retired as an E-6 in about 3 years. That's $$ in the bank every month. I just toughed it out because I knew the reward at the end was great.

Constantly questioning things would have done nothing but fill me with doubt and depression. Also I noticed that the people always questioning everything when tasks were given to them were also the laziest Soldiers (or Marines).
You aren't gonna retire as a Gunny at least?

Thank you devil dog semper fi.

Ts is mikearmyquite and only made it a few into basic, he then got depressed and was on suicide watch. I repeat he was only a few weeks into basic.

I thought about joining the military until I actually researched it. The information is there. The pay is shit. The free college education isn't so great once you factor in lost wages. You're meat. And the wars you fight are not for any sort of freedom. The information is freely available. If you honestly don't know this you're just not paying attention and are either stupid or accept it to get out of poverty or actually buy into the propaganda.

VERY big misconception is the pay. Its not what we get paid. Its what we DON'T have to pay for.
My first 10 years of service I was living in the barracks on base(s). I was never paying for electricity, water, food, rent for my room, medical or dental. And that's just off the top of my head. I'm not going to get into the things I was getting for free while I was stationed in Germany.

Oh and I so enjoyed hanging around Frankfurt or Heidelberg and meeting American tourists that tell me their trip costed them $7,000 for a 10 day vacation. While I was there for free. :))

I did online college and got an associates degree with AMU and paid a grand total of: nothing for tuition. Books were free with AMU. So not gonna take your college comments to heart.

it is just a sign of the times i guess that kids these days can't handle not being coddled. when i went in i did a little RESEARCH and knew what i was getting into. my TI was a total dick. all he ever did was scream at us. but i was PREPARED for it. the best advice i got was from my recruiter who told me when i was getting yelled at for something stupid, just realize it was all part of the game and not to take it seriously (as in not get upset over it). so when i got screamed at because my underwear was not perfectly flush with the front of my drawer, i thought to myself internally "this dude is yelling at me because of my underwear, lol." i just took the ass chewing and went on. it was just a game i was forced to play for a few weeks and that was it.

get over it. it isn't a big deal. nobody hates you and nobody is picking on you. you are no diffferent than the millions that have come before you. you are not special. don't expect to be treated as if you are.

i guess the most amazing thing to me is reading threads like this where betas are so surprised that they get yelled at and treated mean in basic

You sound pretty pathetic. I enjoyed my 9 years of service and it made me a better human all around. It sounds like you wouldn't do well anywhere in this country, let alone the military. Don't blame the service for your own personal mess.

62582387.jpg

Yep, boot camp was pretty fun for the most part. Moving the barracks around sucked, but it was just normal shit. I think I told this story before, but doing our series commander inspection, we were in charlies. The guy next to me was asked, by the series commander, who the first commandant of the Marine Corps was. The answer is Capt Samuel Nicholas, and this kid was waffling. He kept saying "Capt Samuel, Capt Samuel... and then he stopped for a second and blurted out Capt Samuel L Jackson Sir." I lost my shit just a bit and of course the drill instructors saw it... I didn't even do my inspection, they had me back in cammies and sent me island-hopping all fucking day long. haha I was smoked beyond all reason, but again, the story brings back awesome memories. haha

LOL!!!! I got another one,

During a Company Commander's inspection,

Capt Davis: Well recruit, what did you come here to be?
Recruit Green: This recruit came here to ... be... be all he can be sir!

Green was on the quarterdeck for an hour for that.

Wait, E-6... After 20 years! How is that even possible? I know E-7s getting kicked out after 16 years because they are downsizing. Shit you must have made some bad choices to be a 20 year E-6. You should be at the very least an E-8 after that long. Shit, a guy served with made E-7 after 8 years (he was Force Recon, so that is almost cheating though).

You aren't gonna retire as a Gunny at least?

I mentioned it a while back in another thread but, I'm actually US Army now. Did 8 years in the USMC and got out because I hated working in an S-4 shop. So when I was an E-5 I crossed over into the Army and became an 88M / vehicle operator. Then after a few years I got promoted to E-6. I'd like to get to make E-7 but there's too much of a bottle neck in this MOS.

LOL!!!! I got another one,

During a Company Commander's inspection,

Capt Davis: Well recruit, what did you come here to be?
Recruit Green: This recruit came here to ... be... be all he can be sir!

Green was on the quarterdeck for an hour for that.

LMAO... good stuff. One of the best parts about bootcamp was the stupid shit that people said and did just because you were always so nervous of doing something wrong.

Ts is mikearmyquite and only made it a few into basic, he then got depressed and was on suicide watch. I repeat he was only a few weeks into basic.
More like 3 days actually (if he even went at all).

I mentioned it a while back in another thread but, I'm actually US Army now. Did 8 years in the USMC and got out because I hated working in an S-4 shop. So when I was an E-5 I crossed over into the Army and became an 88M / vehicle operator. Then after a few years I got promoted to E-6. I'd like to get to make E-7 but there's too much of a bottle neck in this MOS.
I occasionally think about getting back in and trying for Ranger but I'd have to go through OSUT since I got out over 5 years ago. Plus I was never good at land nav.

This answers my question as well.

Damn. That sucks. I just figured you had a few NJPs pushing you back.

Wait, E-6... After 20 years! How is that even possible? I know E-7s getting kicked out after 16 years because they are downsizing. Shit you must have made some bad choices to be a 20 year E-6. You should be at the very least an E-8 after that long. Shit, a guy served with made E-7 after 8 years (he was Force Recon, so that is almost cheating though).

Read my post again. I've been in 17 year so far. 3 more and that'll be 20 years. Then I'M DONE. Retired at 39 yrs old. Starting in 2019 I'll be living off military pension and real estate investment money. Most likely I'll never have to work again (unless I get bored or something).

I always kept my nose clean. But its really bottle-necked for promotion in the 88M field.

Read my post again. I've been in 17 year so far. 3 more and that'll be 20 years. Then I'M DONE. Retired at 39 yrs old. Starting in 2019 I'll be living off military pension and real estate investment money. Most likely I'll never have to work again (unless I get bored or something).

I always kept my nose clean. But its really bottle-necked for promotion in the 88M field.

I've known a couple of guys who thought the same thing but they were discharged before they got their 20 years in. One just a month shy of it.

You wore a road guard vest for your entire stay at Leonard Wood, didn't you?

Last edited:
Back