Military Basic Training Question- Trying To Understand The "Normal" Response

I went to Parris Island for Marine Corps Recruit Training. You should be glad that you joined the Army because you wouldn't have lasted a few days in the Marine Corps with that mind set. War is hell so Basic training isn't going to be a party. They tear you down and then build you up.

Mike... I need you to listen to me and realize that I'm not insulting you, but rather telling you the truth:

The idea that the Military is an illegal operation is beyond ridiculous. It doesn't matter how much you've read up on the subject... You're not a lawyer and frankly, if you went into a lawyers office and wanted to discuss this issue of the Military being illegal, they would ask you to leave and then laugh about it at happy hour with their colleagues. That's the reality of this. You're sounding like Charlie Kelly from Sunny talking about Bird Law. You got fucked over and for that, I feel bad for you. But that's where my sympathy begins and ends. This nonsense you're peddling is just too much, Man. And I have a feeling that people in your life not only don't shoot you straight on this, but enable you. Me telling you what the reality of the situation is isn't meant to be insulting, it's meant to help you. I only hope you can see that I'm telling you the truth and you finally get in and see someone so you can start moving on.

What are you going to do, Mike? Spend the next decade obsessing over this and letting it ruin your life? Be out on a date or meet new friends and tell them your theories about why the Military is actually illegal and part of a giant conspiracy to deprive people of human rights because you read a book on the law or studied legal precedents? Mike... Get help, Man. Real talk. I hope your next thread is titled "I'm finally over what happened to me and living a healthy life." Now that's a thread I'll be happy to read. Good luck to you...

I think you're viewing this as if my hatred of the military effects my ability to function in this world. It really does not. I just deleted my Facebook, which I had for six years. Nobody from Facebook would know that I hate the United States military. I hate the military, but I do not blame it for any of my life problems. I am smarter than that. I just want it fixed.

Also, I think it is a little hypocritical that you're trying to undermine a legitimate opinion with "That's silly." There's just no substance to that, so there's really no option to have a legitimate discussion. I guess we're all hypocrites in our own ways though.

I met a shitload of people in the military when I was in and deployed. Very few were "trained brainwashed killers."

The whole idea that you have that basic and the military wipes people down to robots who just unwaivering kill is not reality.

Look at the number of support personnel compared to actual warfighters.

Basic is just that, basic training. It instills a common set of abilities, basic level of competence and the ability to be part of a team. The way it does it is tried and true. It may not be your cup of tea but it is pretty effective.

Yes some people in charge don't deserve their status but you can find that anywhere in corporate America, schools, etc.

Respect for your civil post.

Here's a thought that got to me there. The concept of teamwork. When I tutor at college, I walk past the ROTC program doors, which are inscribed preaching the value of leadership skills. I just had a hard time understanding how it's truly a team and leadership when you're led by a bunch of egomaniacs, who have complete control over you. I think of being a team leader as someone that inspires people towards a cause, someone that who wins people over with charisma and not with force. Yet, the military is so simplistic in it's power structure. How is that true teamwork?

Last semester, I took a course on Organizational Behavior. A lot of the funding for the original OB studies came from the military looking how to better lead. Yet, the way they lead versus how you're supposed to lead is like the opposite of true leadership.

I think you're viewing this as if my hatred of the military effects my ability to function in this world. It really does not. I just deleted my Facebook, which I had for six years. Nobody from Facebook would know that I hate the United States military. I hate the military, but I do not blame it for any of my life problems. I am smarter than that. I just want it fixed.

Also, I think it is a little hypocritical that you're trying to undermine a legitimate opinion with "That's silly." There's just no substance to that, so there's really no option to have a legitimate discussion. I guess we're all hypocrites in our own ways though.
It would absolutely be if it were a legitimate opinion, Mike.

It' not.

The Military is not illegal. That's a fact. It's painful for me to even have to be explaining this to someone. This is right up there with the flat earth theory.

I went to Parris Island for Marine Corps Recruit Training. You should be glad that you joined the Army because you wouldn't have lasted a few days in the Marine Corps with that mind set. War is hell so Basic training isn't going to be a party. They tear you down and then build you up.

There's a website, IHateTheUSMC, developed by former enlisted with Honorable Discharges. It really disgusts me the abuse of power that goes on in the Marines, in the interest of trying to feel superior. In no way do I believe the Army is the worst entity when it comes to Constitutional abuses, at all. Some of the Marine Drill Instructors need to be in prison for life, if half of the stuff they do is true.

Are you the guy who signed up for the military because you didn't have a ride home?

Are you the guy who signed up for the military because you didn't have a ride home?
Yep, he said his recruiter supposedly refused to pick him up from MEPS unless he enlisted.

I didn't spend nine years agonizing over my divorce and the loss of my step child, which was probably the worst thing that ever happened to me.

If it's been this long and you're still this hot about it, you need help. Or you're going to cause yourself to implode from the stress.

I just wonder how two human beings can be so different. You never thought of the fact that your freedom was curtailed and you couldn't do what you wanted. Or what gave them the right to do that, personally and legally? The insults never made you feel like you were rewarding assholes who only cared about themselves, but were glorifying their egos with this false sense of teamwork? Does any human being have the right to have the amount of power over another person like the command does? Do these assholes with more control over you than any person should ever have even have superior intellect?

you must've at least liked playing grab ass in the barracks showers?

Last edited:
I thought about joining the military until I actually researched it. The information is there. The pay is shit. The free college education isn't so great once you factor in lost wages. You're meat. And the wars you fight are not for any sort of freedom. The information is freely available. If you honestly don't know this you're just not paying attention and are either stupid or accept it to get out of poverty or actually buy into the propaganda.
I was in NJROTC for two years and didn't sign up for navy or marines because the pay was actually worse than my 25 k a year warehouse job out of high school,and I got college for free anyway with scholarships and financial aid. I'm not anti military but I do agree that recruiters BS high school kids about the military, there are alternatives in life.

There's a website, IHateTheUSMC, developed by former enlisted with Honorable Discharges. It really disgusts me the abuse of power that goes on in the Marines, in the interest of trying to feel superior. In no way do I believe the Army is the worst entity when it comes to Constitutional abuses, at all. Some of the Marine Drill Instructors need to be in prison for life, if half of the stuff they do is true.

Much like every other post of yours, you are incorrect. That was started by a dude that got kicked out for drugs.

I think the military experience didn't help with my mental being, but it certainly illuminated some problems. Whenever I've talked to a mental health professional about the experience, they basically say that they have lots of experience with the military chewing people up and spitting them out, and to just be grateful that I got out during training. But then it calls to issue the fact that why did I hate it so deeply to the point of suicidal thoughts so early and easily, and why does your average person seem to get through it?

If you are depressed your perception of things and reality is different and kinda flawed I have been depressed for some time.

There are times I feel that getting out of bed to my office at the Travel Agency seemed like a fight to the death and it really feels like I get stressed out by very trivial things.

And I think most of the people who join the millitary and make it is the opposite, they have an inherent mental toughness and attitude that makes them to want to endure more pain and overcome adversity so that they can be even tougher.

Btw what happened to your Mike Armyquiter account? Got banned?

i agree with you ts. i think at basic everyone should be allowed to get up when they are good and ready. and then after some coffee and video games, you should be able to take a vote on what you are going to do that day. its a free country yet these ego maniacal drill sergeants somehow think they have the right to TELL you what to do. not very sensitive for sure

I'd have more respect for a Marine that slit their DI's throat for the abuse or went Private Pyle, so it's not that I really care. But the guy on the website has always been well-spoken and claims he got out honorably. https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/1bxiz9/i_am_a_former_marine_and_creator_of/

Says a lot about you that you would respect someone for murdering someone that was just doing their job. No wonder you believe the word of another bitter person that couldn't handle service.

He didn't make it in the Army either, he said in one of his posts that the happiest day of his life was when he got shipped back home. TS just needs to accept the fact that he has no mental resilience, he quit on himself and move on with his life. I also don't know if I believe him. he is saying he had a 2 year contract which I am pretty sure was only ever offered to infantry who don't do their basic training at an MP Brigade in Ft. Leonardwood.

honestly do you think maybe you were just too soft? do you think you were made an example of to strengthen the group? I'm curious to how you performed physically

They are putting you through hell in order to prepare you for much worse. Basic training, "Boot camp" in the Marines was a joke compared to the fleet. And that was cake compared to a Captain telling you to patrol down a street knowing it was suspected of multiple IEDs and one of your buddies was killed on that exact street one week prior.

But most of boot camp was fun, the toughest part was not laughing when they were making you do ridiculous stuff. And reverse the room did royally piss me off.

They are putting you through hell in order to prepare you for much worse. Basic training, "Boot camp" in the Marines was a joke compared to the fleet. And that was cake compared to a Captain telling you to patrol down a street knowing it was suspected of multiple IEDs and one of your buddies was killed on that exact street one week prior.

But most of boot camp was fun, the toughest part was not laughing when they were making you do ridiculous stuff. And reverse the room did royally piss me off.

Yep, boot camp was pretty fun for the most part. Moving the barracks around sucked, but it was just normal shit. I think I told this story before, but doing our series commander inspection, we were in charlies. The guy next to me was asked, by the series commander, who the first commandant of the Marine Corps was. The answer is Capt Samuel Nicholas, and this kid was waffling. He kept saying "Capt Samuel, Capt Samuel... and then he stopped for a second and blurted out Capt Samuel L Jackson Sir." I lost my shit just a bit and of course the drill instructors saw it... I didn't even do my inspection, they had me back in cammies and sent me island-hopping all fucking day long. haha I was smoked beyond all reason, but again, the story brings back awesome memories. haha

Back