Miletich fighting system's grappling

I trained at MFS' main facility in Bettendorf, IA for about a month while I was living in the area. The actual pro fighters seem to get exceptional training and instruction, but for the average Joe that goes to the normal classes I didn't feel it was a good learning environment. There was a different instructor every grappling class that I attended, and whomever it was always showed medium to little interest in the guys that were there...it seemed like they were always over talking to another fighter/friend that was waiting for their training to start. A technique, maybe two would be shown and then everybody would split up to work on that with nobody walking around giving pointers or correcting mistakes. If I had never trained before, I would have been very intimidated and lost. And the guys attending the class were mostly the strong and rough types that had little technical skill and no desire to be a good training partner. Instead of passing my guard, I would be picked up and slammed. Instead of attempting to defend or counter my submission attempts, I would get elbows and forearms ground into my throat or nose to inflict pain. Maybe I just was there during a bad month, maybe I just was there when bad guys were there, I don't know. But for a technical grappler looking to learn and have fun I didn't find it there. Hope this helps.

That sounds like a BAD experience.

I want to say a few things on concerning both sides of your thoughts though.

I have had instruction from what I consider good BJJ coaches and as far as the number of techniques shown per class it was genreally 2 maybe 3 per class.

I dont think you can expect much more than that in any event unless you are in a 3 hour class.

On the other hand the instrucotrs DID walk around to make sure you have the movements correct,

I dont know about the affliates but Militech himself has been doing BJJ for quite some time.
In fact Militechs 1st BJJ coach was the same person that intorduced me to BJJ. This was back in the early-mid 90's and caused quite a scuttlebutt.
I am sure some old timers to BJj remember that the Gracies were reluctant to show the style and were often accused of hiding techniques or watering down the techniques at that time.

I think that Militech himself would have a very firm grasp of BJJ and fighting off his back as well as wrestling and MMA in general.

As for getting roughed up the stuff you talk about sounds like a typical wrestling match. HARD takedowns, slams, strong cross face attempts and other general roughhousing is quite common even in a Junior High wrestling room.

They may simply have a different approach to training.

That being said just go out and visit other schools if his classes are not what you are looking for.

green machine, what u experienced was called a process of elimination to weed out the weak. everyone that comes through the doors gets roughed up at some point, the strong stay, the weak leave and complain on the internet that they couldnt persevere. people want to see if u r tough enough to make it through. u cant argue with results of mfs in the long run. grappling is a contact sport...even if u train with the best pure bjj guys on the planet u will get roughed up....its physical.

green machine, what u experienced was called a process of elimination to weed out the weak. everyone that comes through the doors gets roughed up at some point, the strong stay, the weak leave and complain on the internet that they couldnt persevere. people want to see if u r tough enough to make it through. u cant argue with results of mfs in the long run. grappling is a contact sport...even if u train with the best pure bjj guys on the planet u will get roughed up....its physical.

What up, Mike? It wasn't my intention to talk trash about any place, I was just running through my experience there for the original thread starter so he could get a feel for it. I'm not an aspiring pro fighter or world-class grappler by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think it makes me weak just for saying that I didn't really fit in there.

I grappled there for about 4-8 weeks, and this was about a year and a half ago. At the time I had just moved into the area and had only been training bjj for about 3 months or so, and had started at a very technical gi-based school. MFS had two grappling classes at that time, beginner and advanced. I chose the beginner obviously...the advanced was mostly the pro fighters and experienced grapplers. Technique-wise, I didn't have any complaints...I'm not the type that thinks you should learn a ton of moves, but the instructors we had never seemed too interested in showing us the details about the technique or why you do what you do while executing the technique. Then, instead of walking around and correcting mistakes or giving tips while drilling, they would usually just sit off to the side and talk. It just felt like whomever was instructing that night didn't really want to be there (with the exception being Spencer...I always wanted him to run class because he ran a great class from start to finish). That was the main turn-off for me, the fact that us beginners didn't seem too important.

As far as the roughhousing goes, that's just a matter of style. I'm not a pussy or anything like that, I get roughed up all the time and know it's part of the game, but I like a slower and technical roll, that's just my style. And I felt like when I was there that the other average Joes in class were all about trying to win in any way possible as opposed to rolling to improve their skills. Just my opinion, though.

So, I wasn't trying to be an internet tough guy and come on here to talk shit. I don't post all that often here, but when I do it's usually respectful and honest, and in this case it was my honest assessment of my experience grappling there. But I have heard that alot of things have changed over there since then and to tell the truth I may give MFS a shot again sometime in the near future since I'm frustrated with where I'm at currently. You and I have met several times and have some mutual friends, that is if you call Ron a "friend" haha. Also, I will have Stevarino politely ask you to not murder me. Peace out.

There is a Militech school here on LI too but Militech doesnt teach there and neither do any of his direct students...I believe Pat just buys out schools and calls them his own. Im sure he puts some kind of system in place but to MY knowledge its not like you are learning BJJ from Pat Militech or one of his direct students....thats how it was at the school by me anyway. He bought out an existing school, put some money into it to fix it up, set up a class schedule and what not then went back to Iowa. IMO if you are going to call a school your own, the students should learn from either you or a direct student of yours...so they are learning YOUR style of martial arts. I believe he has two "certified MFS instructors" in NY (which means he looked them over and said ok you can teach under my name)

Who knows maybe in Texas it is a different situation??

miletichnewyork.com | home of the Miletich Fighting Systems

Your understanding of what went down at the LI school is incorrect. I coached there for over a year before my own club's class schedule prevented my travelling to LI to teach. I was there from when it switched over from Thaisport to MFS. None of the cash to fix up the club came from Iowa. It is all on the owner...David.

First, Miletich does not own the school in LI. Dave Martucci still owns the school, always has owned the school. Certainly, There are fees and training requirements to use the MFS name and be part of their group, but Pat has no stake in ownership.

Second, It is true that Pat visits once or twice per year to train folks there directly. However, David has been out to Bettendorf several times per year to train under Pat for a week at a time (maybe 4 or 5 times since the club became a MFS affiliate). This does not make him a "top student" of Pat, but he is very aware with how the MFS methodology works and has experience training there under their methodology. Aside from David, others from the club have also travelled to Iowa on more than one occassion specifically for training as conditioning coaches, fighters, etc.

Regarding training BJJ specifically. Admittedly, I would not recommend MFS NY to train BJJ if that is specifically what you want. You will not get the gi work or single minded focus on BJJ. It is first and foremost an MMA school, not a BJJ school. They don't specify otherwise. Even when I was there (which I really enjoyed and miss to be honest), I did not teach "sambo". I taught sambo for MMA. It is a different ballgame.

In the end, one needs to chose a gym based on their goals. If you want strict BJJ, MFS may not be for you. But if you want more of an MMA approach, the school in NY would be a good choice.

I can't speak to any other MFS affiliates. Quality may vary and the prospective student needs to do research anywhere they decide to train. But, as far as the NY school, that's my opinion and experience there.

Now the question is, has anyone trained there?

I stopped by this weekend, but they were closed the whole weekend for the fourth. Should have known. Anyone know anything about the instructors:

Rodney Solis
Jason Webster
Ernesto "Peralez

Ernesto has been my BJJ coach for several years, he is a solid brown belt and most people really enjoy his teaching style. Jason is a badass Muay Thai instructor with some impressive credentials who has fought and trained in Thailand. I havent worked with rodney much but he seems to have a solid mma based game.

I really like the fact that there a like 3 classes a day plus the facility is nice. Militich and Jason black are supposed to come down in August from what I hear.

Now the question is, has anyone trained there?

I stopped by this weekend, but they were closed the whole weekend for the fourth. Should have known. Anyone know anything about the instructors:

Rodney Solis
Jason Webster
Ernesto "Peralez

I haven't been there yet, but I'm planning on resuming training soon and that is probably the first place I'll be checking out.

Ernesto has been my BJJ coach for several years, he is a solid brown belt and most people really enjoy his teaching style. Jason is a badass Muay Thai instructor with some impressive credentials who has fought and trained in Thailand. I havent worked with rodney much but he seems to have a solid mma based game.

I really like the fact that there a like 3 classes a day plus the facility is nice. Militich and Jason black are supposed to come down in August from what I hear.

Some good info, thanks TJS.

What up, Mike? It wasn't my intention to talk trash about any place, I was just running through my experience there for the original thread starter so he could get a feel for it. I'm not an aspiring pro fighter or world-class grappler by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think it makes me weak just for saying that I didn't really fit in there.

I grappled there for about 4-8 weeks, and this was about a year and a half ago. At the time I had just moved into the area and had only been training bjj for about 3 months or so, and had started at a very technical gi-based school. MFS had two grappling classes at that time, beginner and advanced. I chose the beginner obviously...the advanced was mostly the pro fighters and experienced grapplers. Technique-wise, I didn't have any complaints...I'm not the type that thinks you should learn a ton of moves, but the instructors we had never seemed too interested in showing us the details about the technique or why you do what you do while executing the technique. Then, instead of walking around and correcting mistakes or giving tips while drilling, they would usually just sit off to the side and talk. It just felt like whomever was instructing that night didn't really want to be there (with the exception being Spencer...I always wanted him to run class because he ran a great class from start to finish). That was the main turn-off for me, the fact that us beginners didn't seem too important.

As far as the roughhousing goes, that's just a matter of style. I'm not a pussy or anything like that, I get roughed up all the time and know it's part of the game, but I like a slower and technical roll, that's just my style. And I felt like when I was there that the other average Joes in class were all about trying to win in any way possible as opposed to rolling to improve their skills. Just my opinion, though.

So, I wasn't trying to be an internet tough guy and come on here to talk shit. I don't post all that often here, but when I do it's usually respectful and honest, and in this case it was my honest assessment of my experience grappling there. But I have heard that alot of things have changed over there since then and to tell the truth I may give MFS a shot again sometime in the near future since I'm frustrated with where I'm at currently. You and I have met several times and have some mutual friends, that is if you call Ron a "friend" haha. Also, I will have Stevarino politely ask you to not murder me. Peace out.

It's the difference between "training" and "competing".

Too many dipshits go to class to compete rather than train. You know the ones, the ones who would rather not learn anything if it means getting tapped. Me, I'd rather learn something and get tapped over and over. I'd rather slow down and help a fellow student than just work them over and over since they are new.

That does not mean MFS's style is wrong, it's just their style. MFS guys have never been known as technical gurus. (that is not an insult.) BUT, if you look at guys like Sylvia, Rothwell, Hughes...they were tough as nails and champs...and you can't argue with champions.

And I felt like when I was there that the other average Joes in class were all about trying to win in any way possible as opposed to rolling to improve their skills

Too many dipshits go to class to compete rather than train. You know the ones, the ones who would rather not learn anything if it means getting tapped.

i have yet to find or hear of any place in the entire world that didn't mostly fufill the scenarios quoted above.

Just wanted to bump this one up a bit. I train at ctc austin now and am having a great experience. Have trained at a couple of other gyms in town through the years and have had good experiences also but ctc is large and the instructors are great and the price for unlimited training seems unbeatable.

I would say if you had a chance to train at his school, do it.

You are sure to get a healthy dose of BJJ, wrestling, boxing etc...

Some people underestimate his submission skills but iirc he won somewhere around 30 fights with about 20 ending in submission.

I suppose by watching some of his fighters fight in the UFC leads folks to believe they dont know how to grapple.
I think MMA is highly individual and if you learn everything you can apply what suits YOU best.

Isn't Draculino in Austin now? If you're looking for good jiujitsu you wouldn't have to go much farther than that.

Draculino is Hear in Houston....I doubt hes opening a school in austin anytime soon either..he just bought a house here. Thats something I was worried about when I first signed up...I didn't want to sign up and then him leave soon after to open another school. He assured us he'll be here for quite some times.

Back