Miletich fighting system's grappling

Cyclone Mike

Amateur Fighter
@Green
Reaction score
I realize that the MFS has produced a lot of great fighters, but if i am primarily a bjj user, will MFS be a good fit for me?

I ask because a miletich gym is opening up in my area (austin, tx) and i was considering training there.

Any opinions welcome but especially welcome if you have trained in MFS

There is a Militech school here on LI too but Militech doesnt teach there and neither do any of his direct students...I believe Pat just buys out schools and calls them his own. Im sure he puts some kind of system in place but to MY knowledge its not like you are learning BJJ from Pat Militech or one of his direct students....thats how it was at the school by me anyway. He bought out an existing school, put some money into it to fix it up, set up a class schedule and what not then went back to Iowa. IMO if you are going to call a school your own, the students should learn from either you or a direct student of yours...so they are learning YOUR style of martial arts. I believe he has two "certified MFS instructors" in NY (which means he looked them over and said ok you can teach under my name)

Who knows maybe in Texas it is a different situation??

http://www.miletichnewyork.com/

They opened a brand new one here in Houston. He built a kick ass facility, but I have never trained there. Sam Hoger runs it, don't think they do any gi work.

Oh very cool....good luck!! Id like to see the facility...do you have any pics?

From everything I've read its like going to a better version of tiger schulmans. That said, I think its likely a decent grappling class but likely all wrestling based no gi work. Their grappling game is probably more Matt Hughes then BJ Penn (as an example). You wont be the worlds most technical grappler but you will get stronger.

Theres a gym where I live with a Miletich Fighting Systems certified instructor. I've gone to his MMA conditioning class and its pretty good in that aspect. We worked on MMA associated drills and techniques.

Several of us from LA Boxing signed up for a month to check it out and see how good they are when they open up.

I'm hopefully because the gym is huge.

mkm- the primary BJJ instructor is Ernesto Peralez and he is a very solid brown belt in BJJ under dave phillips.

Rodney solis is the head manger/instructor and is a purple belt under pat millitech.

To answer your question i belive you will find you can learn alot form the bjj classes...you can always try one..

The Miletich Affiliated gym by me has a separate BJJ class taught by a BJJ black belt but I think that it just depends on the school. Some may have separate grappling classes others don't.

I trained at MFS' main facility in Bettendorf, IA for about a month while I was living in the area. The actual pro fighters seem to get exceptional training and instruction, but for the average Joe that goes to the normal classes I didn't feel it was a good learning environment. There was a different instructor every grappling class that I attended, and whomever it was always showed medium to little interest in the guys that were there...it seemed like they were always over talking to another fighter/friend that was waiting for their training to start. A technique, maybe two would be shown and then everybody would split up to work on that with nobody walking around giving pointers or correcting mistakes. If I had never trained before, I would have been very intimidated and lost. And the guys attending the class were mostly the strong and rough types that had little technical skill and no desire to be a good training partner. Instead of passing my guard, I would be picked up and slammed. Instead of attempting to defend or counter my submission attempts, I would get elbows and forearms ground into my throat or nose to inflict pain. Maybe I just was there during a bad month, maybe I just was there when bad guys were there, I don't know. But for a technical grappler looking to learn and have fun I didn't find it there. Hope this helps.

I'm actually curious about this myself...
the facility sounds amazing, but I am confused about if I were to train at CTC, a MFS school, lets say for instance on sherdog fight finder, under Association... would I be fighting under CTC, do they have a team of their own? or how does that work...
Thanks

From everything I've read its like going to a better version of tiger schulmans. That said, I think its likely a decent grappling class but likely all wrestling based no gi work. Their grappling game is probably more Matt Hughes then BJ Penn (as an example). You wont be the worlds most technical grappler but you will get stronger.

Yeah... Militech fightes usually don't know how to fight off the back well compared to Judoka's or BJJ'ers.

You from jersey cuz the tiger schulaman's headquarters is now in my town in elmwood park

Isn't Draculino in Austin now? If you're looking for good jiujitsu you wouldn't have to go much farther than that.

Based on what you said, either stick with your program or find a more MMA oriented BJJ instructor.

I realize that the MFS has produced a lot of great fighters, but if i am primarily a bjj user, will MFS be a good fit for me?

I ask because a miletich gym is opening up in my area (austin, tx) and i was considering training there.

Any opinions welcome but especially welcome if you have trained in MFS

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but when and were is this Miletich gym supposed to open? I have heard nothing about it and can't find anything online? Is there anything compareable in austin? Meaning a full facility, open all day, not just a strip mall joint?

There is a Militech school here on LI too but Militech doesnt teach there and neither do any of his direct students...I believe Pat just buys out schools and calls them his own. Im sure he puts some kind of system in place but to MY knowledge its not like you are learning BJJ from Pat Militech or one of his direct students....thats how it was at the school by me anyway. He bought out an existing school, put some money into it to fix it up, set up a class schedule and what not then went back to Iowa. IMO if you are going to call a school your own, the students should learn from either you or a direct student of yours...so they are learning YOUR style of martial arts. I believe he has two "certified MFS instructors" in NY (which means he looked them over and said ok you can teach under my name)

Who knows maybe in Texas it is a different situation??

miletichnewyork.com | home of the Miletich Fighting Systems

you basically described a MCDOJO lol.

green machine, what u experienced was called a process of elimination to weed out the weak. everyone that comes through the doors gets roughed up at some point, the strong stay, the weak leave and complain on the internet that they couldnt persevere. people want to see if u r tough enough to make it through. u cant argue with results of mfs in the long run. grappling is a contact sport...even if u train with the best pure bjj guys on the planet u will get roughed up....its physical.

green machine, what u experienced was called a process of elimination to weed out the weak. everyone that comes through the doors gets roughed up at some point, the strong stay, the weak leave and complain on the internet that they couldnt persevere. people want to see if u r tough enough to make it through. u cant argue with results of mfs in the long run. grappling is a contact sport...even if u train with the best pure bjj guys on the planet u will get roughed up....its physical.

im not a fighter or planning to be; but just because someone doesn't like how you train, does not necessarily mean they aren't tough enough. They just might prefer to go about their training in a different manner.

now i don't know if he is complaining or not, he might in fact be sharing his experience and giving his opinion of said experience; honestly there is notthing wrong w/that. Alot of good and great fighters have come from mfs; but just as many, if not more good/great fighters come from camps where there is alot of personal attention and tech drilling instead of the obvious elimination process of being phsical and rough to see who breaks/who doesnt.

if i don't want to train at mfs im not soft or weak; i just feel that their curriculum and style of training doesn't fit my needs or goals, just like if train at greg jackson's, it doesnt mean i am particularly tough or too physical. Once again it just means that what they have to offer and their system doesn't meet my needs goals or impressions on how to develop my skills.

that being said anyone who knows about mma, should know MFS is gonna try to break you; they have said it numerous times, wether is the fighters, pat, or people covering the training.

hope i didn't offend u, just wanted to post the other side of the argument.
tell ben i said what up; i actually talked to him awhile ago, when i got on him for not giving roy nelson his props as a fighter. Ben emailed me and we got it straightened out, i wish him well in his fight

Back