Mikey Garcia vs Lomachenko

Thats pretty specific. I can think of several fights where he was behind, dropped etc and came back to win. Its also not rare for fighters to be way behind and win by KO late in the fight.
I'm still waiting on your examples of fights getting stopped for a broken nose.

I've never claimed that fights are often stopped for a broken nose.

Salido was shut out, knocked down 4 times, was down by 10 points, and committed a shithead foul. Trying to claim that Garcia was on his way out is just ridiculous.

Sounds like Salido got his ass beat for 7 rounds, was down by 10 points going into the 8th, so he intentionally headbutted Garcia in the nose in a desperate attempt to cause injury. He did cause injury, and lost the fight.

Salido just generally does do that stuff, especially when he gets desperate. Garcia wasn't fading, though, and he was going to win pretty easily. Maybe the optics of Garcia taking what some would call the easy way out weren't great, but Garcia looked pretty dominant in that fight, and it certainly wasn't a fight where I saw any shift in momentum coming.

Salido just generally does do that stuff, especially when he gets desperate. Garcia wasn't fading, though, and he was going to win pretty easily. Maybe the optics of Garcia taking what some would call the easy way out weren't great, but Garcia looked pretty dominant in that fight, and it certainly wasn't a fight where I saw any shift in momentum coming.

Of course not.

Why is half this thread about whether or not Mikey beat the shit out of Salido? Mikey whooped that ass, and Salido is the one who chose to quit by using desperation tactics. Always saw it that way. What about the Mikey/Loma fight though? Salido not only common opponent.

What fight gets stopped for a broken nose? Complete bullshit doctors stoppage. Quitting is losing, in my book.

Mikey looked fantastic in the fight but that ending=red flag, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt once.

Mikey looked fantastic in the fight but that ending=red flag, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt once.
Me too. I question if he has the heart when the going gets tough.

I've never claimed that fights are often stopped for a broken nose.

Salido was shut out, knocked down 4 times, was down by 10 points, and committed a shithead foul. Trying to claim that Garcia was on his way out is just ridiculous.
I didn't claim he was on his way out.

I'm still waiting on your examples of fights getting stopped for a broken nose.

I gotta say, I'm 100% down with this part. That was very strange and I'm unable to cite any example of a fight between high-level professionals being stopped for a broken nose. It really threw me for a loop at the time.
At the same time, I do not think Garcia was on his way to a loss or anything like that, either.
I was really high on Mikey, too. That "out" and the time off, all of it is very curious to me. Maybe he did lose his fire/passion/heart/love for the game. No idea. We shall see.

Just to make sure everybody is on the same page here, nobody ever claimed fights are often stopped by headbutts.

What fight gets stopped for a broken nose? Complete bullshit doctors stoppage. Quitting is losing, in my book.

Well, your book is fucked up, mush.

Genaro Hernandez stayed on his stool versus De La Hoya, because of a broken nose, & Israel Vazquez did the same in the second Rafa Marquez fight 'cos of a broken nose.

That's not exactly the same (i.e. no technical decision was rendered), but that's at least two "fights stopped for a broken nose" off the top of my head.

& Hernandez got up after an after-the-bell punch KO'd him versus Azumah Nelson & went on to win, & Israel Vazquez... Was Israel Vazquez (I mention this before you pull something out of your arse about either of those guys not having heart).

Well, your book is fucked up, mush.

Genaro Hernandez stayed on his stool versus De La Hoya, because of a broken nose, & Israel Vazquez did the same in the second Rafa Marquez fight 'cos of a broken nose.

That's not exactly the same (i.e. no technical decision was rendered), but that's at least two "fights stopped for a broken nose" off the top of my head.

& Hernandez got up after an after-the-bell punch KO'd him versus Azumah Nelson & went on to win, & Israel Vazquez... Was Israel Vazquez (I mention this before you pull something out of your arse about either of those guys not having heart).
Hernandez and Vazquez both lost those fights because they quit, idiot. They weren't "stopped for a broken nose." They were stopped because they chose not to continue.

The question isn't "How many fights are stopped because of a broken nose".

The question is How many fights are stopped as a result of a foul, and the answer is... plenty over the years.

I think it''s a great fight. Garcia lost two years of his prime but he's still in his twenties and that's also two years he didn't take damage. I think he gets a couple fights and gets back into the swing of things and becomes a very competitive and dangerous opponent.

Who wins? Hard to pick against Lomachenko (even though I did in his Salido fight).

The question isn't "How many fights are stopped because of a broken nose".

The question is How many fights are stopped as a result of a foul, and the answer is... plenty over the years.
The doctor said he was not fit to continue because his nose was broke. Broken nose is not a fight ending injury, unless you choose not to continue.

Depends on the break, and the decision is the physician's in the end.

If the doc says you can continue, but you opt not to, you take the L.
If the doc says you're done, then you're done, nothing you can do about it.

In addition to that, there is a vast difference between fighting through an injury that occurs through a legit punch, and fighting through an injury caused by a foul.

Salido decided he wanted a way out and intentionally fouled Garcia, so I don't think it's fair to judge Garcia on his reaction to Salido's sin.

None the less, at this point, I think it'd be a tremendous fight, and I'd have to favour Lomachenko.

Garcia if he gets back to his best would be a great fight with Lomachenko. I'd pick Lomachenko to school him. If he comes back rusty and fights him he'll get really badly schooled.

Depends on the break, and the decision is the physician's in the end.

If the doc says you can continue, but you opt not to, you take the L.
If the doc says you're done, then you're done, nothing you can do about it.

In addition to that, there is a vast difference between fighting through an injury that occurs through a legit punch, and fighting through an injury caused by a foul.

Salido decided he wanted a way out and intentionally fouled Garcia, so I don't think it's fair to judge Garcia on his reaction to Salido's sin.

None the less, at this point, I think it'd be a tremendous fight, and I'd have to favour Lomachenko.

Yeah, and what I'm saying is doctors don't stop fights for broken noses. It is not a fight ending injury. Look at Abraham against Miranda and then tell me Garcia/Salido needed to be stopped.

You can say its all right if you want but Garcia is no Gatti and I wonder if that lack of heart rears its ugly head when he fights good competition at higher weights.

Yeah, and what I'm saying is doctors don't stop fights for broken noses. It is not a fight ending injury. Look at Abraham against Miranda and then tell me Garcia/Salido needed to be stopped.

You can say its all right if you want but Garcia is no Gatti and I wonder if that lack of heart rears its ugly head when he fights good competition at higher weights.

And yet, this doctor did just that. Your mind must be blown eh?

Did Miranda headbutt Abraham?

Seriously, if a doctor knew that jaw was broken, he'd have stopped the fight ASAP.

Garcia can actually box. He might have nightmares where he emulates Gatti... you know, like he's stuck in sand and he's forced to move at 1/2 speed and eat punches like tic tacs. But I wouldn't say it's something he should strive for.

Back