Mike Winkeljohn: Fedor is an easy fight for Jon Jones or Andrei Arlovski

Of course a coach is gonna pick his fighter what's he supposed to say? No AA don't take that fight u r gna get kod again! No, its his job to build confidence in his fighter then collect his paycheck off of them

e9jTnkq.jpg

the title of the article is a bit misleading.

Winklejohn says it would be easy if fedor fought like he did in his last few fights,and he didnt say arlo would beat him easy,just that that he would pick him to win.

I love Fedor as much as the next guy and that's one of my favorite KOs. But Andrei was sticking it to him pretty decently before the KO

Edit: somebody beat me to saying it

True. I just think AA's chin cracks at some point in the fight again. Fedor will throw some wild looping shots and then surprise you with a pinpoint accurate laser on the chin.

A trainer picking his fighters to win? What is this world coming to?

:rolleyes: The fact that he said his guy would make it look easy is why I started the thread, I also started the thread so people could debate it. It wasn't just because Wink picked his fighters win.

Is he saying Arlovski has Fedor in Sambo? Come on son....

the title of the article is a bit misleading.

Winklejohn says it would be easy if fedor fought like he did in his last few fights,and he didnt say arlo would beat him easy,just that that he would pick him to win.

I know. It made it sound like Wink was straight up disrespectful.

I agree. Arlovski was running a clinic on Fedor the first time they fought. Since then Arlovski has improved, and Fedor has faded.

That is beyond hyperbole.
A fucking clinic ?.

Watch the fight, it is easy to find.

As much as it pains me to say this, Jones would annihilate Fedor right now. AA on the other hand would get ko again imo.

A coach just hyping his own fighters. Pretty far stretch to claim definitively that a fighter who, in his prime, was brutally KO'd by another fighter, would now get an easy win over the same fighter. And no, getting slightly better of the exchanges for a half round before getting put to sleep, does not constitute "he was wrecking him" or whatever nonsense the haters will claim.

Jones would tear fedor's face apart with elbows, fedor isn't what he used to be.

Personally I could care less about the AA fight.I think Fedor is a 50/50 chance like most
Being a huge Fedor fan,I wouldn't like to see him against Jones. Jones would cut him bad with his elbows ending the fight in the first round.
Now prime against prime Jone/Fedor, Fedor pretzels Jones and retires him at a young age

And IF Fedor does come back it will be with the fire he once had or I would ASSume he won't return.
Not like the man doesn't know what it takes to win

It's kind of crazy that everyone forgets that

Because it's not true. Fedor slipped pretty much all of AA's punches and didn't have a mark on him after that fight, and we know he cuts easily so if AA had landed Fedor would have been busted up.

It looked like Arlovski died after that brutal knock out. :)

Jones would definitely wreck Fedor at this point. Fedor got schlept by a middleweight for gods sake. Arlovskis chin is shot, so I'm not going to say he would have an easy night with Fedor.

Arlovski is now better and Fedor is worse. It's really not that complicated. Did you believe Wanderlei would TKO Rampage in their third fight?

Fedor we don't really know of course as he hasn't fought in years although decline is likely but Arlovski is most definitely not better than he was in 2009 pre Fedor KO, younger, faster and much more confident.

He's more confident today than the post Fedor ko perhaps but lets be honest a lot of the reason for his comeback is that the standard at HW has declined. God knows what Strikeforce GP Sergei would do no Travis Browne, I think it might need to be censored on air.

Because it's not true. Fedor slipped pretty much all of AA's punches and didn't have a mark on him after that fight, and we know he cuts easily so if AA had landed Fedor would have been busted up.

This.
AA was able to back him up in the corner, but we saw how that ended.

People need to re-watch the fight.

not sure about AA, but jones will kill any heavy weight without the need to gain weight.

Imagine jon jones with 10~20 more pounds of muscle... he would straight out murder cain, maybe even werdum

Jones would definitely wreck Fedor at this point. Fedor got schlept by a middleweight for gods sake. Arlovskis chin is shot, so I'm not going to say he would have an easy night with Fedor.

You think Jones is the Goat, and he is in the running so I cannot be too mad at this.

It's kind of crazy that everyone forgets that

i was at the fight. aa was looking good, but he still got knocked out in the first round.

you get knocked out cold in the first round? there's no positive spin you can put on that.

losing by first round knockout is embarrassing

I agree. Arlovski was running a clinic on Fedor the first time they fought. Since then Arlovski has improved, and Fedor has faded.

Arlovski was also dominating Brett Rogers for the first 15 seconds of their fight. Why do people forget this?

He's obviously backing his fighter, and at this point its not crazy to think AA would win

Just look at the body of Fedor at the latter part of his career. He was all soft blubber and his fighting consisted solely of throwing bombs.

Watch his fights with nog, the way he got out of attempted subs and the way he just flew past guards at times.

Too bad Jon Bones is hiding at LHW instead of fighting HW then. Maybe Jon Bones will demand Fedor drop to 205 to fight him.

Also saying Arlovski's chin is shot after he didn't get KO'd by Rumble, Kyle, Bigfoot, or Browne? The best part of Jon Bones not being active is that you don't post as often.

Arlovski definitely has not improved since the Fedor fight. His combos were much better before. Now he just uses his right hand to punch with occasional kicks. Rin Nakai would be proud of how he uses his left hand to phantom jab. The thing is the whole division has regressed as well so Andrei is still looking good. The important thing is not to match him against someone like Rothwell, Hunt and especially Overeem or JDS.

Right hook has always been his kryptonite because he does not use his left hand to defend himself. Fedor, Rogers and Sergei took advantage of that.

It is hard to tell how good Fedor still is, but I do not think Andrei would be a problem.

Jones should probably be a favorite against any active MMA fighter.

Jones would murder him

Arlovski would be a good rematch provided Fedor's ring rust isn't too bad

I think Arlovski would see Jesus again if he fights Theodore. Jones on the other hand would be a difficult fight for him

Theodore Emelianenko. Voice to text acting up? :)

Running a clinic? I had AA "winning" at that point until the KO also but he was only ahead by a few punches.

As much as I love Emperor, Andrei lost that fight more than Fedor won it. That flying knee almost made Andrei quit for good and even kill himself.

I think Jones takes him at this point, and obviously Arlovksi has the power to put anyone away, but Fedor is more than capable of stopping Andrei first just like the last time.

Fedor or no Fedor, I don't think we have to wait long till we see Arlovski out cold for the billionth time in his career.

I love Fedor as much as the next guy and that's one of my favorite KOs. But Andrei was sticking it to him pretty decently before the KO

Edit: somebody beat me to saying it

you and the guy above you are blind as a bat. Andrei landed almost 0 shots on Fedor before this. He landed a body punch? but if you look at all the other "strikes", Fedor was rolling with the punches and wasn't even grazed by most of them (I guess unless you count a punch to his shoulder a clean shot?).

Fedor only threw like 8 strikes and landed 1. That 1 was all it took.

Also, even if he didn't try the flying knee, he was still going to get hit in the temple with that right. He was going to be pummeled either which way. being KO'd in mid-air probably saved his brain.

You took Mike a bit out of context. What Mike said was

"but looking at how, you know, Fedor's fights towards the end of his career [went], I think unless he changed something I think it's an easy fight for Jon," the striking coach said."

I'm a huge Fedor fan but I'd tend to agree that unless Fedor changed something, if he fights like he did at the end of his career......where he appeared to have very little game plan.....he'd get beat by AA and Jon. However if he gets that fire back and he fights like his old Pride days, he'll beat both of them IMO. Jon being a tougher matchup IMO.

Back