Mike Winkeljohn: Fedor is an easy fight for Jon Jones or Andrei Arlovski

Jblizzle

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
"El Guapo" said that Fedor's punching speed and power would be enough to give anyone trouble, including "Bones." Jones' coach Mike Winkeljohn politely disagreed with the broadcaster and former UFC heavyweight champ, while speaking with Submission Radio.
"Oh you know, I have not even spoke to Jon about it, but looking at how, you know, Fedor's fights towards the end of his career [went], I think unless he changed something I think it's an easy fight for Jon," the striking coach said.

Fedor retired after three straight wins. Before those, however, he lost three straight to current UFC fighters Dan Henderson, Antonio Silva, and Fabricio Werdum.
It's likely Winkeljohn was referring to those performances. The former kickboxer does believe that Fedor is capable of a good comeback, however.
"I think it's a great idea, honestly, with the right training," he said.
"Look at Andrei Arlovski coming back. I mean, everybody thought he was shelved, and now he's coming back and on a title run. There's no doubt about it. I think we get the title shot, we're winning the title. If [Fedor] does it right, if he's thinking about doing it right, and how cool is that? That would be one of the really, really exciting stories. Fedor was the king for so long, and to take all of that time off and come back -- that would be really exciting."

If "The Pitbull" does get another crack at the title he once held, Winkeljohn is confident that he'll nab the championship once more. Additionally, "Wink" would pick his fighter against Fedor in a rematch, should it happen as Arlovski wants.
"Andrei is so strong. He's so strong from his sambo days. He's so tight, strong in his body locks," he began.
"Strength-wise Andrei would be so much stronger. As far as the boxing skills, with the range, Andrei's got him, too. So I definitely would put my money on Andrei all night long, and would actually really enjoy seeing that fight."

Mike Winkeljohn: Fedor is an easy fight for Jon Jones or Andrei Arlovski

What are your thoughts

I think Arlovski would see Jesus again if he fights Theodore. Jones on the other hand would be a difficult fight for him

I think Mike forgot about the first AA fight.

Fedor would kill Andrei and ko that crack fiend.

So easy in fact AA won their first meeting with ease!!!

fedor-ko-o.gif

yes!!

You're kidding yourself if you think that version of Fedor exists today. Guy has lost the fire to compete at the highest level.

To be fair, Jones would finish him within a round.

it is obvious by the pictures we have seen of Fedor that he has been training. We do not know with who and if any of his skills have diminished or grown. I do want to see Fedor fight a few of the heavyweights out there right now.

There are people that actually think Fedor can beat Jon Jones at this point?

Jones curb stomps Fedor at whatever weight. I love me some Fedor but Jones is the truth! People forgot what HENDO did to Fedor that quick? Now all the sudden Fedor beats JON JONES...MMA Goat

fedor-ko-o.gif

yes!!

Fedor has no answer for the eye pokes. Remove the eye pokes and Fedor smashes Jones.

Coach wink be working on extra special eye pokes for fedor.

AA's more counter-heavy now, but slower and less explosive than when they fought in 09. That's why he looks poorer against fighters who don't engage him than against the ones who do. If Fedor comes in recklessly AA's chances go up tenfold, but if he's patient his punching power & defense gives him too many chances to KO AA, who loses because of his chin.

Jones would be too much for Fedor now in so many areas. That would've been fun prime vs prime.

Jones would kill the current version of Fedor.

Arlovski would still lose IMO

fedor-ko-o.gif

yes!!

I love Fedor as much as the next guy and that's one of my favorite KOs. But Andrei was sticking it to him pretty decently before the KO

Edit: somebody beat me to saying it

Dunno about AA, but JJ would fustigate him.:)

Do people realize it's soon to be 2016?

Um, Jones might have a better shot than AA imo. I think Fedor would KO AA again

Andrei is literally the same fighter he was back then except slower and less athletic. The only that hes changed are backfists after his right hands that make him less vulnerable after throwing since he is still 99% a right handed fighter that almost never throws his left. The fact that Frank fucking Mir could stand in front of him for seconds with his hands down while Andrei was probing with his left was telling.

And Andreis "success" over Fedor in the 1st fight is a myth by noobs i thought was dead now. Everyone was going crazy live but when u saw the replay he was barely touching Fedor with his strikes just had him reacting with his output. Almost all of his strikes missed or didnt land clean because of Fedors head movement and footwork. Everyone knows Fedor has paper mache skin and gets cut/bleeds easy but after the fight his face was completely clean

10hlijr.jpg

2zqeuli.jpg

153BC40D497E6C7A0F152D

1469FE09497E74C804E14F

"Andrei is so strong. He's so strong from his sambo days. He's so tight, strong in his body locks

Huh, so Mike is basically saying that Andrei is Thick, Strong, Tight?

the question is that do you believe that Fedor has substantially MORE power than TRT vitor, Glover and DC? I dont think so at this point, idk maybe im wrong. But if Bones mitigated those guys, Ithink he would certainly be able to mitigate Fedors power. As for speed, I think a 40 yr old Fedor is way slower than kettlebell fedor, however I still think at 40 he is way faster than any of those with the exception of trtvitor. Interesting fight on paper, but at thispoint Bones would keep him 84inches away all night and cruise to a uni.

If Arlovski is strong from his Sambo days, what is Fedor then?

Jones would destroy Fedor like he did Shogun.

AA would get knocked out again... he would go for the flying knee once more... For reasons no one knows.

And of course the guys not going to say my guy would loose, hes going to defend his fighters.

it was a competitive fight the first they met for a few minutes then aa went to sleep.. so..

Jones would dismantle Fedor at this point, but Andre still hasn't improved his defense that much, i mean Schaub arguably beat him on the feet.

It's kind of crazy that everyone forgets that

Well he wasn't. Andrei's shots were getting parried and dodged and nobody landed anything real clean before the KO blow.

Also, how many flying knees have MMA fighters pulled off where we go "woah, that was awesome." There difference is Fedor had the skillset and timing to punish Arlovski for trying it, unlike most MMA fighters.

I agree. Arlovski was running a clinic on Fedor the first time they fought. Since then Arlovski has improved, and Fedor has faded.

Jones easily beats Fedor, AA is 50/50 depending on what Fedor looks like in a return.

AA may beat him but the JAW is the factor and I love AA but the way he fell was awesome. Jon Jones would kill Fedor.

To be fair, until that stupid knee AA was giving Fedor the business.

I think this badly undervalues how good Fedor's counter was. This wasn't a slow and sloppy knee like say Babalu vs Lambert where an opponent had the position and the time to land a counter thrown whilst his opponent was in mid air. Arlovski actually sets it up well with Fedor trapped in the corner and at the right range then gets into the air very quickly.

Fedor is only able to counter him because he picks it out well before Arlovski gets into the air, he's actually only just off the ground when it lands. If he doesn't throw the punch that early its going to be next to impossible to counter and the knee itself is potentially very dangerous.

A trainer picking his fighters to win? What is this world coming to?

Completely agree. Both of these guys would smoke Fedor. Arlovski would do it in under a round, Jones would probably require 3 or 4 rounds to break him.

Back