Mike Tyson 'was offered no holds barred deathmatch' by UFC legend; Tyson accepted!

The thing is Tyson is not the kind of boxer that would wait and take his time. As soon as he would see royce in striking range, he would explode. And royce defense was bad.and his tds were very slow. Now, if royce manage to survive this and take it to the ground, he obviously wins, but my money would be on him catching hands more often than not
Right,its totally not the kind of boxer he should ever have tangled with,even if i applaud his balls for trying.

I think shamrock could have easily beaten tyson and that tyson wouldve clobbered royce with ease.

Keith hackney exploded off of the ground with royce, and rocked him several times. Obviously Royce could win if they ended up on the ground in a good position but it seems highly unlikely.

"Bjj beat everything"...for a few ufcs... with 1 relatively good athlete... look at Derrick Lewis just stand up when 250 lbs high level grapplers have him down. Mike Tysons strength and explosive quickness would be more than enough IMO.

lol @ people using height and weight to compare Tyson to other fighters ahahahahahaha

yes ken shamrock and he are so comparable!

tumblr_m8v42wUOfC1rvcjd7o4_250.gifv

Quick Tillis lost a 6-4 decision to mythical, 19 year old Tyson while Tillis was on a 2 fight skid.

Tyson's best win is Tony Tucker (a decision) or career LHW Spinks

I think shamrock could have easily beaten tyson and that tyson wouldve clobbered royce with ease.

Keith hackney exploded off of the ground with royce, and rocked him several times. Obviously Royce could win if they ended up on the ground in a good position but it seems highly unlikely.

"Bjj beat everything"...for a few ufcs... with 1 relatively good athlete... look at Derrick Lewis just stand up when 250 lbs high level grapplers have him down. Mike Tysons strength and explosive quickness would be more than enough IMO.
It would be decided in the opening seconds. Tyson's hand speed,footwork and warrior mentality would eat Royce for dinner. He wouldnt be like Art Jimmerson in there.

lol @ people using height and weight to compare Tyson to other fighters ahahahahahaha

yes ken shamrock and he are so comparable!

tumblr_m8v42wUOfC1rvcjd7o4_250.gifv
Tyson would've gotten exposed

I really don't know who would have won, but Tyson at the time was an elite athlete and a bad motherfucker (and world champ calibre boxer of course) Xs and Os aside I feel this would have probably gone to Tyson. It's hard to know because we have never really seen an equivalent match up.

tbh

Quick Tillis lost a 6-4 decision to mythical, 19 year old Tyson while Tillis was on a 2 fight skid.

Tyson's best win is Tony Tucker (a decision) or career LHW Spinks
And this has something to do with Tyson beating the shit out of Royce somehow?

Tyson would have destroyed Royce.
sorry, but that's BS.
I love Tyson, but he would have ended up like Toney to Randy.
Different world, one that he is not used to and could not prepare to defend a takedown.

Fights start standing. I think Tyson lands one pretty quickly and sends Gracie to Dreamland

sorry, but that's BS.
I love Tyson, but he would have ended up like Toney to Randy.
Different world, one that he is not used to and could not prepare to defend a takedown.
Fat old toney showed up for the paycheck

Young Mike would be like WHICH ONE THE REFEREE,COS IM GONNA KILL THE OTHER MOTHERFUCKER

also Randy had more of a chance against Tyson than Royce did.

Someone actually let this maniac out of the indies? He almost died in a match and was trying to let the EMT's let him go.

yup. Lost to Matt Cardona AKA the woo woo guy in WWE in a death match; shit was wild with everything, included the pizza cutter.

It would be decided in the opening seconds. Tyson's hand speed,footwork and warrior mentality would eat Royce for dinner. He wouldnt be like Art Jimmerson in there.
You really think tyson would have knew about bjj? Like at all? Derrick lewis trains in mma and thats why he is able to do it. Everything from tyson’s stance wouldve made him taken down just as easy as royce got jimmerson down. Stop using modern mma as a gauge to how tyson wouldve done. Modern mma fighters know and train exactly to fight off takedowns and time counters. Tyson’s only chance was to catch royce coming in. Shooting low almost gaurantees a boxer has no chance of hitting you.

see randy couture vs james toney. And that was during a time when james toney knew about ground fighting lol

a lot of boxer who went into mma were kind of lazy counter pucher a la jimmenson, hollywood williams and toney. These guys were backing up and waiting to duck and counter, which is a terrible style in mma if you don't have td defense. Tyson wasnt cut from that mold

Reactions: HHJ
Mike Tyson was once challenged to a superfight by UFC legend Royce Gracie in a bid to see who was the Baddest Man on the Planet.

When Iron Mike was preparing for a return to the ring back in 1993, Brazilian MMA hero Gracie was one of the biggest stars in the octagon-based new promotion.

Gracie’s desire to beat the very best saw him make an offer to the former heavyweight champion, who he thought to be very beatable despite his obvious power and skill.

In a new memoir written by Fiaz Rafiq, To The Top: Enter the Octagon, the Ring and Entertainment, the tale of the failed negotiations have been revealed in detail.

Rafiq wrote: “For Royce, any fight was a matter of who could implement their own strategy, and much of the Gracie style was developed to avoid even the chance of their opponent landing a lucky punch.

“What Royce lacked in brute force, he clearly made up for in technical skill, as his opponents – including a professional boxer – quickly discovered.

Before adding: “In Iron Mike’s case, one rejection wasn’t enough for Royce.

“In 1997 the Gracie’s challenge made the headlines again, after the publication of a one-page advert in Men’s Health in America, in which the UFC champion once again challenged the former heavyweight boxer ‘officially’. Anywhere, anytime, no rules!

“Years later I asked Royce about the famous challenge, and discovered that the heavyweight had been, at least in theory, willing to put up.

“‘I heard that my brother tried to bring him in [to UFC],’ Royce explained. ‘He had accepted but people around him – the lawyers, managers, and the Commission – said no way, because boxing had too much to lose.

0_GettyImages-169494827.jpg

more: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/b...FR6a0x9_-Y7CKxO2BmJAP7ZHUkOiDZV5zJl67ZBI9XASg
Make it happen Rizin!

The Gracie's are piece of shit human beings. I'm glad they are irrelevant now.

You really think tyson would have knew about bjj? Like at all? Derrick lewis trains in mma and thats why he is able to do it. Everything from tyson’s stance wouldve made him taken down just as easy as royce got jimmerson down. Stop using modern mma as a gauge to how tyson wouldve done. Modern mma fighters know and train exactly to fight off takedowns and time counters. Tyson’s only chance was to catch royce coming in. Shooting low almost gaurantees a boxer has no chance of hitting you.

see randy couture vs james toney. And that was during a time when james toney knew about ground fighting lol
He wouldnt need to. If Royce tries to get close to him,hes going to sleep,the hand speed is too ridiculous,the defense too impregnable.

Fat old toney showed up for the paycheck

Young Mike would be like WHICH ONE THE REFEREE,COS IM GONNA KILL THE OTHER MOTHERFUCKER

also Randy had more of a chance against Tyson than Royce did.
again, bullshit.
it matters little what Toney wanted. It matter what happened.

Dive for a leg lock, Mike would not know what to do... different world, with different rules.
If it was anyone else, i may fear they would want to prove themselves on their feet against Mike. But not a Gracie.
Royce would just dive for a leg lock or a takedown, or even pull guard, and then Mike would be out of his element.

I am glad mike did not do it. Even though it would help MMA immensely, I wouldn't want to see Mike lose like that.

Back