Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr...

mkess101

Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs
@plutonium
Reaction score
Sat 9/12 101 Mike Tyson
9:00PM 102 Roy Jones Jr +170

Yeah...I don't understand this line. It's an 8 round exhibition. Tyson is 54, Jones is 51, okay. I get that Tyson is a HW and Jones was LHW at his best, a cruiserweight later in his career as he aged. But...

Tyson last fought in 2005! And looked horrible. Jones was 4-0 from 2016-2018, and not fighting complete bums (not great competition either, but not club fighters with losing records or anything, legit solid guys). In 2018 Jones went 10 full rounds and won a lopsided decision over a guy who was like 34-13 or something. Tyson looked great hitting the pads, yep. How many rounds of cardio does he have though? 3 maybe? 4 tops?

Sure, Mike could land a big shot and put RJJ away early, but you gotta think Roy is gonna stay away and play pop a shot. Use his speed edge and stay away from Mike's power (which I guess we assume is still there?).

Freakshow exhibition between two guys 50+ but this line seems WAAAAAAAY off to me, and it's Tyson's monstrous fame that's responsible imo. Jones should be favored here the way I see it.

I'm absolutely playing Jones +170 with no shame ha ha. I think he wins a pretty clear decision.

Sat 9/12 101 Mike Tyson
9:00PM 102 Roy Jones Jr +170

Yeah...I don't understand this line. It's an 8 round exhibition. Tyson is 54, Jones is 51, okay. I get that Tyson is a HW and Jones was LHW at his best, a cruiserweight later in his career as he aged. But...

Tyson last fought in 2005! And looked horrible. Jones was 4-0 from 2016-2018, and not fighting complete bums (not great competition either, but not club fighters with losing records or anything, legit solid guys). In 2018 Jones went 10 full rounds and won a lopsided decision over a guy who was like 34-13 or something. Tyson looked great hitting the pads, yep. How many rounds of cardio does he have though? 3 maybe? 4 tops?

Sure, Mike could land a big shot and put RJJ away early, but you gotta think Roy is gonna stay away and play pop a shot. Use his speed edge and stay away from Mike's power (which I guess we assume is still there?).

Freakshow exhibition between two guys 50+ but this line seems WAAAAAAAY off to me, and it's Tyson's monstrous fame that's responsible imo. Jones should be favored here the way I see it.

I'm absolutely playing Jones +170 with no shame ha ha. I think he wins a pretty clear decision.
Tyson is on some kinda Chinese sarms or peds. (pure visual speculation)
But i also follow his podcasts and social media closely for a long time. In the last few months he did a dramatic diet change and does intense cardio every day, sometimes 2x a day. Said he doesn't sleep and just hops on his bike and cycles for an hour straight at home, daily.

You also got to take into consideration this guy is a walking encyclopedia of boxing history and knowledge. As in he knows what styles have worked against boxers since near the beginning of boxing.

I love Roy, i even play 2 of his songs in my car on the regular. Roy heavily relied on his speed and reaction time throughout his career. He won't have any of that now. Tyson wins via tko imo.

Last edited:
But i also follow his podcasts and social media closely for a long time. In the last few months he did a dramatic diet change and does intense cardio every day, sometimes 2x a day. Said he doesn't sleep and just hops on his bike and cycles for an hour straight at home, daily.

You also got to take into consideration this guy is a walking encyclopedia of boxing history and knowledge. As in he knows what styles have worked against boxers since near the beginning of boxing.

Man...nobody ever, EVER has had RJJ's style though. Now...how much that matters when both guys are geriatric IDK ha ha.

But fifteen years (I'm gonna repeat...FIFTEEN YEARS) since he last stepped into the ring. Against a guy who was decisively winning fights against actual legit fighters as recently as 2 years ago. And I get the younger guy who's been fighting at +170?

Can Mike take ANY kind of a punch anymore? Even from a smaller guy? Roy at least has been hit in the last few years and didn't shell up and quit. Do we know for sure that the first somewhat solid shot Mike takes that he doesn't just turtle up and realize it was all a big mistake?

I favor RJJ but I wouldn't touch him at anything even like -140, too many unknowns. But at +170? Hell yes.

Well...so much for RJJ winning a decision. Apparently there will be no judges for this exhibition, so it's essentially boxing's version of a sub only grappling match. If there's no finish, there's no winner.

The only caveat is that they are going to stop the fight if either guy gets cut (which is a stoppage win for the other guy). Which means I still like RJJ at these odds (though maybe a little less). I have a feeling that he's gonna hit Mike, and I'm not sure Mike is gonna be able to hit Roy. That means that there's a better chance that Mike gets cut than that Roy does. I also think there's a much better chance that Tyson just says "that's enough" after a few rounds if he's getting tired or eating any punches at all.

CSAC already said the fight ends when one is cut. It doesn't even sound like they're allowed to go for a KO. Will be a complete farce but at least they're in better shape than Chuck was for his PPV return LOL

FGD, Draw. Whatever it is, this will be stupid. Neither are going to go for the kill I don't think

Last edited:
Man...nobody ever, EVER has had RJJ's style though. Now...how much that matters when both guys are geriatric IDK ha ha.

But fifteen years (I'm gonna repeat...FIFTEEN YEARS) since he last stepped into the ring. Against a guy who was decisively winning fights against actual legit fighters as recently as 2 years ago. And I get the younger guy who's been fighting at +170?

Can Mike take ANY kind of a punch anymore? Even from a smaller guy? Roy at least has been hit in the last few years and didn't shell up and quit. Do we know for sure that the first somewhat solid shot Mike takes that he doesn't just turtle up and realize it was all a big mistake?

I favor RJJ but I wouldn't touch him at anything even like -140, too many unknowns. But at +170? Hell yes.

I've never seen Mike get hurt from a smaller guy. This guy did amazing things in his career despite battling inner demons and had all the wrong people around him. Now he has money again and he seems to be at peace with himself more than he ever has.

Rjj seems like he needs money. I'm pretty sure he opened up a gym in Russia because they paid him to. His recent record is full of guys that don't even have a Wikipedia page or beaten some dudes in Russia in these sketchy fights. I've watched the fights, the opponents were either super shitty or were too afraid to even throw down with rjj for whatever sketchy rigged reason.

If there is a prop bet for Mike to win ITD, I'll take that over RJJ any day. Mike has consistently said the other side of him is a nightmare/monster that he has to contain. RJJ has not shown any ounce of speed or reaction time. Tyson has little footage of him throwing hands and hitting pads but he looks incredibly fast still and power is the last thing to go. The 15 year gap is my biggest concern but hey, that's 15 years to let the brain and body heal. RJJ's style was only carried by his inhuman speed in his prime. That's long gone, in fact it died the day Tarver and Glen Johnson removed his soul in the ring.

Also that's fucky there's no judges. Who's the promoter?

I love Roy, i even play 2 of his songs in my car on the regular. Roy heavily relied on his speed and reaction time throughout his career. He won't have any of that now. Tyson wins via tko imo.

What 2 songs?

CSAC already said the fight ends when one is cut. It doesn't even sound like they're allowed to go for a KO. Will be a complete farce but at least they're in better shape than Chuck was for his PPV return LOL

FGD, Draw. Whatever it is, this will be stupid. Neither are going to go for the kill I don't think

Skin gets thinner as we age, so cuts likely come into play if either guy lands anything remotely clean. Who's more likely to land and cut the other guy I guess is the question.

The ML is basically a NSC bet, but knowing any cut stops it.

I guess I'm fine rolling with RJJ under this rule set. He doesn't need to hurt Mike, just land and open any sort of cut. It's probably a coin toss as to who does it to who if it actually happens, so +170 works.

Skin gets thinner as we age, so cuts likely come into play if either guy lands anything remotely clean. Who's more likely to land and cut the other guy I guess is the question.

I guess I'm fine rolling with RJJ under this rule set. He doesn't need to hurt Mike, just land and open any sort of cut. It's probably a coin toss as to who does it to who if it actually happens, so +170 works.

The round betting will be sick imo. I hope bet365 gives an "either" bet.

I saw this on a tweet claiming Foster said it. By 'stop it' it could even be a no-contest in an exhibition?

I just took it as they're going to be very cautious for 'safety'. Sparring contest only basically but I haven't seen official wording cuts stop the fight other than that

'Larger gloves' too. Ridiculous

Last edited:
A draw is +1200 on my book, so I should take that?

What do rules dictate about a draw?

If there's no judges, can there even be a draw? Would it be a no contest if neither guy gets a KO or cut?

Feels like Roy Jones boxed too long and hast cte. Mike seems ok. And he still has speed I wouldn’t want to bet against him unless it was a better number

upload_2020-7-25_9-38-7.png

This is getting dumber and dumber by the minute. I know they need to take extra precaution given their age and mileage but damn, it's a PPV too. Fans deserve to see a real fight if they're paying for it. If they can't fight, maybe it shouldn't go ahead?

Betting is a minefield with boxing at the best of times with judges, hidden bouts, no odds on title fights etc but this is next level weird. Good luck whoever bets this

Back