Mike Miller quits powerlifting for strongman.

nudge119

Green Belt
Reaction score
http://www.ironmind.com/morenews.php?id=1228#1228

Former top professional powerlifter Mike Miller told IronMind today that he has retired from powerlifting and is now competing in strongman, saying that he was "tired of working the gear" and was concerned about his health.

Miller, who has benched 630 pounds raw, said that he has cut his body weight from 420 pounds to about 350 pounds. "I feel like a new man," Miller said.

Putting his new fitness level in perspective, Miller said, "I had trouble walking across my parking lot and now I can goof around with my kids. I

the only way to re-hetero power cleans is with grip gayness. They and all olympic lifts should be done on a thickbar no smaller than 2 inches.

On topic: always fun to see the evolution of a strength athlete. get bored with PLing, move to strongman, get bored with that, move onto highland games, etc. it swings both ways I suppose.

carped33z said:
power cleans rule. ill fight anyone who says different.

I say calf raises rule. Meet me in the parkin' lot. Be there or be ... uh... err ... *damn*

Urban said:
the only way to re-hetero power cleans is with grip gayness. They and all olympic lifts should be done on a thickbar no smaller than 2 inches.

On topic: always fun to see the evolution of a strength athlete. get bored with PLing, move to strongman, get bored with that, move onto highland games, etc. it swings both ways I suppose.

i bet i can powerclean you and two large cats or a medium size dog.

Oh, and between his fake WR squat, denying it was a fake squat, then acting like a pouty punk when it was revealed to be a fake squat, I have little respect for Mr. Miller.

Urban said:
Errr I hope you're kidding, thickbar powercleans will mess up most people's technique.

No, thickbar oly lifting is pretty diesel.

Alon, I believe is actually an olympic lifter, so for his purposes he is correct in that all it would do is train bad form for performing the quick lifts with a normal bar.

CarnalSalvation said:
No, thickbar oly lifting is pretty diesel.

Alon, I believe is actually an olympic lifter, so for his purposes he is correct in that all it would do is train bad form for performing the quick lifts with a normal bar.

I guess it depends on your purposes, but it forces bad habits like overusing the arms (they'll get too tight and will be used too early in the pull), it's very difficult to catch properly, and the bar doesn't rest properly across your shoulders when jerking (but it's ok for behind the neck jerks). Add to all this the effects are even greater when you've got smaller hands, so the effects are even worse if you're under 5'8" or so.

As for Urban, go watch someone powerclean 190kg's and call him gay :)

CarnalSalvation said:
Oh, and between his fake WR squat, denying it was a fake squat, then acting like a pouty punk when it was revealed to be a fake squat, I have little respect for Mr. Miller.

We're in total agreement here. I'm admin on a sit Mike pops in on every now and then, cause his old team started the site. Well, first, the guy's constantly whining when someone questions his squat depth (which is awful, by the way; they better put an asterisk by his name on any squat he ever gets hometown whites for). Second, he tries to pick fights with everyone who doesn't think he's the best thing ever. Third, his lifting strategy is terrible (e.g., he'll go to a meet and open with a 451 raw bench before shirting up and missing 800 twice; what's the point? Mike benching 451 is the same thing as bombing. He just does it so nobody else can win, because he lifts for others and not himself). Fourth, he's in horrible shape and gives powerlifters a terrible name. When he trained hard with Body Factory, he was 330-something, solid, and strong. He was squatting to parallel and even deadlifting. And he was CLEAN. Then he became some huge steroid blob and started setting gym WRs and constantly shooting his mouth off like he's a big shot because two of the three people lighting his squats are his training partners. WTF? The guy's totally worthless. So he's close to a double BW bench in an open back triple denim? Wow, 10 guys at work do that raw. So he can quarter-squat triple BW? Neat. There are guys squatting quad+ BW below parallel (e.g., Chuck V). Worthless, and it's a good day when powerlifting is rid of him.

WAR clean, in shape, intelligent, presentable lifters!!!!11!!!FAT!!!!!1111!!7

Funny from a guy who said in an interview "My body just fuckin luvs steroids" ;-)

Ahahaha.

I am 300lbs and was 330@ 19 years old. I'm fairly hard at 300, and everyone thinks I'm a SHW, plain and simple. So I'm not trying to hate on big powerlifters, but I gotta agree, some of these guys aren't even muscular SHW's. Tom Skiver (2400lb total) is a 330-350lb SHW, and he has a big, hard belly, but other than that you can actually see cuts in his delts, arms, and back. He's not what you'd call fat by any means. Then you've got mendelson, with his six pack at 300+.

My point is that while I plan to be a SHW (I don't even have much choice) I don't think you have to be too fat to deadlift in order to go SHW.

CarnalSalvation said:
Ahahaha.

I am 300lbs and was 330@ 19 years old. I'm fairly hard at 300, and everyone thinks I'm a SHW, plain and simple. So I'm not trying to hate on big powerlifters, but I gotta agree, some of these guys aren't even muscular SHW's. Tom Skiver (2400lb total) is a 330-350lb SHW, and he has a big, hard belly, but other than that you can actually see cuts in his delts, arms, and back. He's not what you'd call fat by any means. Then you've got mendelson, with his six pack at 300+.

My point is that while I plan to be a SHW (I don't even have much choice) I don't think you have to be too fat to deadlift in order to go SHW.

Oh yeah, no mistake about it, there are some jacked big guys out there. Mike Ruggeria has a decent size gut on him, but look at the arms, delts, and legs on the guy. He's a monster. So are Mendy, Ryan K, Steve Goggins when he's @ SHW, and many more. Their physiques are side effects of their incredible strength and hard training. Guys like Rychlak and Miller basically get fatter to make things like belly benching easier. Just pathetic!

Skiver said at IPA 04 Nationals, the resturaunt most of the competitors were going to was 20-30 feet away and Miller and few others drove rather than walked.

Now Tom and I are both fat, sweaty, out of shape motherfuckers, but I can tell you one thing, I'd walk 20 feet to get into a place that sells food.

When you have to get into a car to go to a resturaunt 20 feet away is when you need to examine your priorities as a fat man. It's simple, getting into the car, getting it started, driving across, getting a parking spot etc. would all probably take longer than just walking on over. And any fat man worth his CBH will find the quickest way to shove food in his mouth.

Dan181 said:
Oh yeah, no mistake about it, there are some jacked big guys out there. Mike Ruggeria has a decent size gut on him, but look at the arms, delts, and legs on the guy. He's a monster. So are Mendy, Ryan K, Steve Goggins when he's @ SHW, and many more. Their physiques are side effects of their incredible strength and hard training. Guys like Rychlak and Miller basically get fatter to make things like belly benching easier. Just pathetic!

i agree, i cant understand people who would deliberatley sacrifice their health and psyique just to push more weight....like growing a huge gut to get push off of during the sticking point in their squat.....shits absolutely horrible....but powerlifters have some of the best psyiques out ther no doubt about it you can see when you watch the olympics

wenispinkle said:
i agree, i cant understand people who would deliberatley sacrifice their health and psyique just to push more weight....like growing a huge gut to get push off of during the sticking point in their squat.....shits absolutely horrible....but powerlifters have some of the best psyiques out ther no doubt about it you can see when you watch the olympics
Errr, the people in the olympics are olympic weightlifters (compete in the snatch, clean & jerk) which is different to the powerlifters (complete in the squat, deadlift and bench). Olympic weightlifters tend to be a lot less muscular, with proportionally smaller hamstrings, bigger quads. Athletically they tend to be much faster and powerful, but less strong.

As for sacrificing health and physique, that's part of your goals, there's a cost to everything, by pushing yourself to be a top althete you're often gaurenteeing yourself injuries at a later date. I'm willing to suffer the pain but won't let training compimise my studies, for me that's the limit I've chosen, I think someone like Carnal would be willing to push it much further, good for him I say - it's all a personal choice.

Back