*Mike Goldberg NOT Sick* - Dana White: "I Don't Know When He'll Be Back"

LOL at you guys defending Goldberg as a "play-by-play" announcer. Rogan does 90% of the actual play by play, i.e. calling the action of the fight. Goldberg reads shit off cue cards about Corn Nuts and vampire sexuality and announce the upcoming PPV at the "Ized Center in East Russerford, New Jersey" and will toss in the odd comment about reach or prior fights.

You have to know what you're watching to actually call it play-by-play.

Well to be fair, he will contribute with the occasional "teep!" from time to time.

Can't believe the UFC wants Anik. That guy is a total fucking idiot. When he says stupid things, he just looks awkward and dumb. When Goldberg does it, it's unintentional comedy and entertaining. Fuck Anik.

He sucks anyways. Doesn't know anything about MMA and always repeats the same crap over and over again and asking Joe Rogan to explain what's going on and what's effective. Good riddance.

people always say Goldie doesn't know jack about MMA, but he watches ALL of the UFC events. That's more than most posters on here do, yet they think their "educated." I guarantee very few people here could do even half as good a job as he does. I'd like to see you carry a 3-4 hour broadcast. Joe gets to call the fight/moves. Goldie has to do EVERYTHING ELSE. He does make some bone headed comments, but anyone would in his spot. I'm not a Goldie fan, but I respect the man for what he does and his passion for our sport

I havent liked Anik so far, but it could be because i don't think Anik and Florian are a good team because they sound..virtually identical

It is a completely different job. Play by play is an actual skill, color commentating, while requiring some ability to provide spontaneous analysis, is something that most reasonably intelligent people can do with a little practice.

Watch any sporting event this weekend. The play by play guy will be someone you've never heard of except for doing PBP, while the color commentator will most likely be an ex-jock who can provide some "insider credibility."

Bad play by play sounds really, really bad. They miss transitions, fall behind the action, and seem rushed. Good play by play, and honestly Goldy is pretty good, which is why he gets jobs doing all sorts of things, sounds effortless.

yeah Bas could go 28-4 in MMA win the UFC heavyweight title, Coach his own gym, raise 2 daughters, but he cant pbp commentate.. no, that's a task far too difficult for him

I would seriously much rather Mauro and Joe than Anik and Joe.

Mauro is quite good when he tones it down.

I was working toward a broadcast journalism degree until I settled on Marketing, so it's not that hard. :icon_chee

I'm not going to write it off as easy, but I think a necessity for a good PBP commentator is to have personality and be emotive in his voice as we're forced to listen to him throughout the event. Bas has a distinctive voice, a really easy rapport with whomever he's commentating with. Now, I don't know how he and Joe would take to each other or if Bas would consider it somewhat of an insult to "dumb down" the technical stuff and describe things in laymans terms. The guy has a bit of an ego. But I think if he was game, he'd be a far more engaging PBP announcer than Anik. Bonnar has a breezy on air persona, and I don't see him being as uppity about calling PBP.

ETA: And Joe is technically a host, so he could easily do the plugs and adverts if the other guy was really awkward with it.

Yeah you're totally right it's not that hard. I mean, really? what was I thinking?

Sorry dude, it's hard. Joe Buck has said on several occasions that it's extremely difficult and the research work alone before every broadcast is painstakingly thorough. But you're right dude.

As far as Bas, he is good in short bursts. He could not possibly carry the entire broadcast with another color guy. I think most people just like the "pride Guys" for no other reason than because they were "Pride guys".

Needs more
220px-Stephen_Quadros.jpg

yeah Bas could go 28-4 in MMA win the UFC heavyweight title, Coach his own gym, raise 2 daughters, but he cant pbp commentate.. no, that's a task far too difficult for him

Yeah, probably it is.

Troy Aikman won 3 Super Bowls, graduated from UCLA, and is in the Pro Football HOF, but they let that jack wagon Joe Buck do the play by play.

You're probably one of those people who thinks Ryan Seacrest is a clown and any idiot pretty boy could do his job. Fact: there aren't 5 people in America who could do his job (all of them, not just the American Idol thing).

But Mike Goldberg couldn't go 28-4 in MMA, and he apparently can't stay sober. We all have skills and weaknesses.

Yeah, probably it is.

Troy Aikman won 3 Super Bowls, graduated from UCLA, and is in the Pro Football HOF, but they let that jack wagon Joe Buck do the play by play.

You're probably one of those people who thinks Ryan Seacrest is a clown and any idiot pretty boy could do his job. Fact: there aren't 5 people in America who could do his job (all of them, not just the American Idol thing).

But Mike Goldberg couldn't go 28-4 in MMA, and he apparently can't stay sober. We all have skills and weaknesses.

Hear hear

You're probably one of those people who thinks Ryan Seacrest is a clown and any idiot pretty boy could do his job. Fact:there aren't 5 people in America who could do his job (all of them, not just the American Idol thing).
\

okay just stop lol:icon_lol:

i don't think this is a big deal. the way this thread is titled and made makes it seem really doom and gloomy though lol.

say what you want about Goldie, but at least he cares about the sport and loves it and gets emotional. Jon Anik sounds like he could fall asleep at any moment.

4/10 trolljob.

Anik is terrible. I would rather have Goldie there... I wish they would have brought in Bas or Militech or Shamrock or anyone but Anik..

If you get Bas in they'd probably never ask for Mike again

El Guapo would be amazing. It's hard not to like him as a commentator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back