*Mike Goldberg NOT Sick* - Dana White: "I Don't Know When He'll Be Back"

sucks, i like goldy and joe as a duo

hope everything is okay with himself, and himself/ufc

Anybody other than Anik...anybody!!!

it wouldnt kill them to play by play commentate. it would still be interesting

This is kind of funny to see people make things up. It's like boxing fans trying to say intelligent things about MMA.

He has a stark personality. You love him or you hate him. He suits the average fan who more interested in random violence than the more hardcore fan who perhaps prefer a slightly more dignified approach.

Alrighty. Good enough reason for me.

I have to agree with a few posters here. I would take Goldie over Anik or Gus Johnson anyday.

Alrighty. Good enough reason for me.

Try listening to an old boxing radio broadcast from the 1930's. Then listen to Mike Schiavello. See if you notice any similarities.

This is kind of funny to see people make things up. It's like boxing fans trying to say intelligent things about MMA.

what are you talking about. how much harder can Play by play be than color. you dont know me

LOL at you guys defending Goldberg as a "play-by-play" announcer. Rogan does 90% of the actual play by play, i.e. calling the action of the fight. Goldberg reads shit off cue cards about Corn Nuts and vampire sexuality and announce the upcoming PPV at the "Ized Center in East Russerford, New Jersey" and will toss in the odd comment about reach or prior fights.

You have to know what you're watching to actually call it play-by-play.

it wouldnt kill them to play by play commentate. it would still be interesting
For the names of some of the color guys being thrown around here who have been in the role for a long time (like Bas). It's really not that big of a leap. He has broadcast experience which is what matters most.

what are you talking about. how much harder can Play by play be than color. you dont know me

It is a completely different job. Play by play is an actual skill, color commentating, while requiring some ability to provide spontaneous analysis, is something that most reasonably intelligent people can do with a little practice.

Watch any sporting event this weekend. The play by play guy will be someone you've never heard of except for doing PBP, while the color commentator will most likely be an ex-jock who can provide some "insider credibility."

Bad play by play sounds really, really bad. They miss transitions, fall behind the action, and seem rushed. Good play by play, and honestly Goldy is pretty good, which is why he gets jobs doing all sorts of things, sounds effortless.

Anik works hard and is more knowledgeable about the sport than Goldberg. He gets far too much hate on these boards.
That's not Goldbergs job. He is a hype man. Rogan is the one who explains everything that is going on.

Goldie is a possibly drunk, slightly bumbling dude who clearly loves MMA. Anik is a slick, professional broadcaster who might as well be doing PBP on a badminton tournament for all he seems to care.

Everything else is virtually identical.

Well put.

Back