Miguel Torres gets kicked in the knee Jones-style, and it implodes

It was bad but some sites are saying it looked devastating/gruesome when it really didn't. Gotta give Miguel tons of credit, not that he needs it, dudes got some huge balls finishing that fight.

Yes, it was a bit of a cluster fuck with the refs but I still enjoyed the fights. I don't really follow kickboxing but wasn't the Pique fight a huge mismatch ala McKenzie-Mendes?

I can't believe how far Torres has fallen, guy use to be on top of the world.

I can't believe how far Torres has fallen, guy use to be on top of the world.

It happens to everyone. He had 40 fights before WEC was even popular. He did many far above his weightclass. You can only be in so many wars.

I also haven't heard anything about Torres complaining about issues with that leg after the fight.

yep, i think if you watch that small clip out of context it looks worse than what it actually is.

plus some people in the thread have mentioned that the kick is not illegal... i'm not sure now. i thought it was illegal from pat milletich said?

anyway, it wasn't a fight-ending move

Impressed Torres was able to finish the fight with an imploded freakin' knee.

Me as well, and I'm tired of people using grappling as the counter argument. With a submission you get an opportunity to tap. If Ronda isolated an arm and broke it by using an elbow strike to the back of the forearm.... that would be an equivalent... and the move would be stopped.

I mean, for christ's sake, they removed the 12-6 because they thought it fractured heads.

And the general consensus seems to be that it's a dumb rule.

It's hard to tell from that clip but it looks as if the kick was aimed at the front of the shin and Miguel threw a left which had his left leg turning in.

loJhMc0.jpg

Obviously Torres was faking it.

Sherdog told me those kicks dont do any damage and are all for show.

Nasty.
Torres needs to retire from combat sports, he's taken a bruising over the years and this will be a tough injury to come back from.

Agreed. I've never liked Torres and I thought it was ridiculous when people were trying to say he was GOAT. With that said this was hard to watch. It wasn't like a Jones kick though somehow this guy caught Miguel more towards the side, he also seems to throw them much harder then Jones does.

Leg kicks certainly don't finish fights.

I know this because Cecil told me.

I'm not even gonna watch the mental visual I gave myself is rank enough

The adrenaline rush probably compensated for the pain during the fight, but the distance from the cage to the ambulance probably felt like an eternity.

Obviously Torres was faking it.

Sherdog told me those kicks dont do any damage and are all for show.

I mean it's not like Torres got up and was able to finish the fight just fine or anything, or that after the fight he said his knee was fine and the kick was perfectly legally and he was okay with it.

I don't think I've ever seen Jones strike the knee. The thigh right above it, but never the knee that I can think of.

I was only factoring in the likelihood of causing serious injury, not the potential long term effects, but if joint damage is the primary concern then I wonder where the outrage is surrounding joint targeting submissions.

There have to be 3 or 4 high profile fights a year where a joint lock goes too far. Probably a title fight every year (Rousey Tate, Jones Vitor, Palhares Fitch). Did Ronda's armbar on Tate not target the joint?

AnHlkNBCQAAjKWN_medium.jpg

yeah that's as bad as anything i've seen. and it went on and on and on.

The guy threw the kick to the front of the knee, but Torres threw a punch that exposed the side of the knee, quite bad luck. We have seen a lot in movies guys destroying the knees of an opponent doing a diagonal stomp to the side of the knee, guess it works in real life.

Back