Miguel Torres gets kicked in the knee Jones-style, and it implodes

Hey guys did you know that knee kicks have literally never hurt anybody?

Well the fight went to a decision, so it didn't really injure him bad, if at all.

Eh, didn't look that bad. Implodes? lol

I hate these fucking strikes witha passion, even if my fav fighter is throwing them... i wish they were banned.... itll take a high profile fighter like jones or cain to get their knees destroyed and their careers potentially ended before they decide to act... funny how people dont act till its too late..

Hey guys did you know that knee kicks have literally never hurt anybody?
The goal of the fight is to hurt your opponent. The question is whether it's going to permanently harm them.

The goal of the fight is to hurt your opponent. The question is whether it's going to permanently harm them.

Any injury can cause permanent damage to someone's body. What are you trying to say?

Damn. I hate seeing that.

Ouch! in my opinion that strike should be banned hate to see Miguel Torres get hurt like that true pioneer of the sport.

Is he terrible or does he just have really bad luck? I can't even tell any more.

I really hate that kick

Me as well, and I'm tired of people using grappling as the counter argument. With a submission you get an opportunity to tap. If Ronda isolated an arm and broke it by using an elbow strike to the back of the forearm.... that would be an equivalent... and the move would be stopped.

I mean, for christ's sake, they removed the 12-6 because they thought it fractured heads.

That looked like it hit the side of the knee, not the thigh. It could just be the speed at which the knee buckled. Right now its a freak occurance, but I can see that move getting some scrutiny and potentially a rule change if it happens a few more times, or in a high profile fight.

Right now its still much safer than heel hooks, checking kicks, blocking kicks with the forearms, and slams. Those are all still legal.

So you're saying that you'd rather take one of those kicks and have your knees buckled than check a kick, or block a kick with your forearms? Or it's more less safe/more dangerous to do the above? Wtf you on about, lmao..?

I don't even know why you're comparing intentionally blocking(ie checking kicks/blocking with forearms etc) vs eating a kick unintentionally(and having your knee buckle).. especially when checking a kick means you are actually DEFENDING against such a kick and having your knee buckle etc..

And yeah, in the end, just NO. Defending/checking a kick is SAFER than just standing there, eating the kick, and then having your knee buckle.. Wtf are you smoking dude?

somehow he went on to lose that fight in UD. wouldnt thought he wouldve won via DQ lol

well they wouldn't have to go as far as DQ. they could just take a point off that round, although it wouldn't have mattered since miguel had 2 knockdowns against him and would've lost anyway.

also, i don't know if other people in this thread realise that this wasnt an injury. miguel actually stood up and fought after this happened.

So you're saying that you'd rather take one of those kicks and have your knees buckled than check a kick, or block a kick with your forearms? Or it's more less safe/more dangerous to do the above? Wtf you on about, lmao..?

I can cite multiple examples of kick checks causing broken legs. Pele, Hill, and Anderson off the top of my head.

I can tell you off the top of my head that Frank Shamrock, Rich Franklin, and Forrest Griffin all broke their arms blocking kicks.

This is the only single example of someone's knee buckling to that kick and even that was only when it was landed incorrectly on the knee. If you have a lot of other examples to cite where this kick is either A) dangerous when executed properly, or B) frequently mis-executed and landed on the knee. We can talk like grown ups.

Right now I'm just talking about the likelihood of a technique to cause a serious injury. My point was that this was a freak occurrence, and there are techniques that we see frequently result in serious injury that we don't think twice about.

Me as well, and I'm tired of people using grappling as the counter argument. With a submission you get an opportunity to tap. If Ronda isolated an arm and broke it by using an elbow strike to the back of the forearm.... that would be an equivalent... and the move would be stopped.

I mean, for christ's sake, they removed the 12-6 because they thought it fractured heads.

And I'm getting tired of people using the inane "you get a chance to tap" argument. You don't get a chance to tap when you have a baseball bat shin coming at your head either. And that's potentially much more devastating for your future health and well being than a knee kick. And your Ronda example is irrelevant, because you don't trap the knee first, and then strike at it. The opponent can avoid damage by not putting all their weight on the front leg, better footwork etc. And even if they don't, it's still incredibly rare that someone gets hurt, as this perhaps being the only recorded instance of it ever goes to show. And a regular leg kick has a much bigger chance of hurting the knee.

Oh, and they didn't ban 12-6 because they thought it fractured heads (that seems to be a myth, as it has never been corroborated), but because they were worried about spine and back of the head attacks, and then retardedly continously leave it in there even though it overlaps with the actual rules banning those attacks.

Last edited:
Back